White noise type sound

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpence73

I notice, for the first time today, while just sitting in the car in the garage (was setting my home location) that I could hear something like white noise. At first I thought the radio was on and xm wasn't picking anything up in my garage (common) but the radio was off. All audio was off and the climate system was off. I hadn't actually powered up the motor, just the interior power so I could play with the nav system. The noise was louder in the front passenger floor board. I don't remember hearing it before, but it was fairly noticeable this time. I know with my Prius, it had random fans and noises it made even hours after turning it off. Has anyone noticed this or know what it is?

You talking about the noisemaker?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3yO5msMEGZI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
You talking about the noisemaker?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3yO5msMEGZI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only the cabin power is on. I didn't press the break pedal when I hit the power button. I only needed the nav system on. This sounds just like radio static but the radio is off. You can't hear the sound from the outside of the car, just inside. At first I thought it was the light rain outside the garage, but it stopped when I turned all the power off.

My car makes some sort of white noise when you just get into the cabin. Faint, hardly noticeable unless you're in quite garage. Open any door - it disappears. In my case it is the center roof mounted cabin light - when you open a door it turns full bright - no noise, but when door is shut and it gets dimmed half way - it makes that buzzing noise. Now that I know what it is - it doesn't drive me nuts anymore.

I hear that as I'm coming to a stop, I assumed it was some fan or something cooling something down due to regen.

I just got my 17 Leaf SL, and I am hearing this weird white noise type of sound during ignition on only in my garage. It seems like the sound is from front A pillar tweeter? Any clue what caused that? Let me know if you guys have any idea. Thank you!

I have a 2017 Leaf start making static noise from dashboard when I turn the power on. It least from 5 to 10 seconds and went away. I am going to bring the car to a Nissan dealer to check it next week. I will let you know what they say.

daveforever said:
I just got my 17 Leaf SL, and I am hearing this weird white noise type of sound during ignition on only in my garage. It seems like the sound is from front A pillar tweeter? Any clue what caused that? Let me know if you guys have any idea. Thank you!

I have the same issue in used 2016 SL. In a quiet garage, car powered off is quiet. Speakers hiss when car powered on, regardless of radio on/off, muted or volume 1, HVAC off.
Most noticeable from pillar tweeter. I went around the car and heard it from driver and passenger pillar tweeters, and to a lesser degree a light hiss from passenger door speaker. I can hear it with the doors open or closed. Rear door speakers were silent. I can't tell on driver door speaker, because the alert dinging is too loud when the door is open. I would have to lay upside down in the chair or across the shifter to check with the door closed. I might try this.
Hiss stops when I power off the car.

It is not noticable if I turn up the radio or set the HVAC to high fan speed, but very annoying if I just want a quiet cabin. Speaker hiss is a pet peeve for me.

Did you find a cause or resolution?

knightmb said:
Similar to this?
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32025

No. I also had the dome light dimmer buzzing, worked around it by disabling the dome light, and then fixed that by replacing with LED bulb.

Putting my ear to the tweeters this issue is very obviously coming from the speakers, a white noise low hiss.

Back