BestPal
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Car won't start OR charge - RESOLVED

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Just a couple of days short of 1 month old 2013 S with 6.6kW charger. 1379 miles on the odometer. In the morning I ran some errands - no problem. Late afternoon I took the car through an automatic car wash - came out nice and pretty. After the car wash, I drove about 20 miles. 30 min stop, car off. Then started it, business as usual and drove now 17 miles back to the house, came home with about 34% charge left, plugged it in - nothing, one beep and a couple of clicks under the hood but no blue dash lights. Won't charge - I'm still charging on 110 at the house. Nissan EVSE shows charge status - green light - ready to charge but not charging. Pressed timer off - nothing. Unplugged a couple of times and tried a different outlet - same results. Tried to start the car - it won't start, with a foot on the brake pedal it will go into neutral, but wont go into "READY". Yellow round brake warning indicator with exclamation mark stays lit when other lights come on for a few seconds and then go off. Taking my truck to work tomorrow and will call the dealer to have my Leaf towed and checked out; but I am also wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it might be. Could it be some blown fuse after a carwash? If so, what/where should I check? Keeping in mind that I drove 37 miles with one 30 min stop after the wash just fine... I checked the 12V battery and it shows 12.29V. Nothing else was abnormal on the way home. I'm bummed to "celebrate" 1 month of ownership in this manner.
Last edited by BestPal on Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_ _ _ _
2013 Leaf S with 6.6kW charger and DC
23,000+ miles driven
4.3 miles/kwh dash average
20% of driving is on So-Cal freeways 65-75mph

User avatar
garygid
Gold Member
Posts: 12417
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:10 am
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855
Location: Laguna Hills, Orange Co, CA

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Perhaps a reboot of the car will help.

Car unplugged, everything off.

Make sure that the J1772 socket is clean and dry
(blow air with a straw if necessary).

Dsconnect the 12v battery minus side
(the bolt, both loosen the clamp on the battery post.

Leave disconnected for 5 to 10 minutes, and reconnect.

Maybe everything will work, but you need to check
the timers, and possibly reset the driver's window
auto-up function.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

BestPal
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:59 am

garygid wrote:Perhaps a reboot of the car will help.
...
Dsconnect the 12v battery minus side
...


That was my initial thought too, but for the time being I decided not to. Even if it resets, it's not OK for a car to decide not to take a charge or start and I'd like for the dealer to figure out what the underlying problem is. Hope whatever errors are stored in the memory will help them with diagnostics.

BTW, I did blow compressed air into both ends of the charging connector.
_ _ _ _
2013 Leaf S with 6.6kW charger and DC
23,000+ miles driven
4.3 miles/kwh dash average
20% of driving is on So-Cal freeways 65-75mph

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm

BestPal wrote:
garygid wrote:Perhaps a reboot of the car will help.
...
Dsconnect the 12v battery minus side
...


That was my initial thought too, but for the time being I decided not to. Even if it resets, it's not OK for a car to decide not to take a charge or start and I'd like for the dealer to figure out what the underlying problem is. Hope whatever errors are stored in the memory will help them with diagnostics.

BTW, I did blow compressed air into both ends of the charging connector.

What's the voltage on your 12v battery?
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

BestPal
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:57 pm

12.29v as indicated in the original post.
_ _ _ _
2013 Leaf S with 6.6kW charger and DC
23,000+ miles driven
4.3 miles/kwh dash average
20% of driving is on So-Cal freeways 65-75mph

BestPal
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Resolved! Had it towed to the dealer for diagnostics to find out what happened and why. What did they do? Exactly what Garygid suggested to do - they disconnected the 12v battery for 10 min, let the car reset - and it was fine, so they charged it up and I picked it up tonight - all seems to be fine. Never figured it out what caused the problem and the memo on labor stated that it was a glitch and resetting the car resolved the issue :S Oh... K... hope the glitch never happens again.
_ _ _ _
2013 Leaf S with 6.6kW charger and DC
23,000+ miles driven
4.3 miles/kwh dash average
20% of driving is on So-Cal freeways 65-75mph

User avatar
ksnogas2112
Posts: 1215
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021881
Location: Lenexa KS (Kansas City)
Contact: Website

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Wed May 01, 2013 9:00 am

BestPal, glad to hear it's resolved. You might want to edit the subject line to indicate you're good.
Tom in KS
100 Mile Club-#57
http://ksnogas.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Try reading a book, it's a novel experience
MY 2012 - Cayenne Red-45,000+ miles

User avatar
aqn
Posts: 815
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:59 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Car won't start OR charge - 1 month old

Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 pm

BestPal wrote:Resolved! Had it towed to the dealer for diagnostics to find out what happened and why. What did they do? Exactly what Garygid suggested to do - they disconnected the 12v battery for 10 min, let the car reset - and it was fine, so they charged it up and I picked it up tonight - all seems to be fine. Never figured it out what caused the problem and the memo on labor stated that it was a glitch and resetting the car resolved the issue :S Oh... K... hope the glitch never happens again.
That's good news.
Next time, you might want to ask them if there were any stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and what they are. It might not even be too late to call them back and ask.
Anna Nguyen

jkallen21
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 am
Delivery Date: 12 Aug 2013

Re: Car won't start OR charge - RESOLVED

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 am

I just had this exact same issue:
1) Plugged Leaf in and it began to charge
2) Within 10 seconds I removed the plug to re-route the cable or something
3) Plugged it back in - single beep, but no blue lights and charger did not "click" like normal (Siemens 220 charger)
4) Closed charging door and tried to start leaf - no "chime" and it would not start. The same way as if you did not pres the brake and tried to start
5) Brake LED was always on on the dash (!) - almost like Leaf could not sense that I was pressing the brake
6) The Upper LED (with the spedeometer) showed both a yellow and red alert, but main dash screen had no info about these alerts
7) I read this thread and removed the negative cable from battery under hood. Left off for maybe 30 seconds and re-attached. All is good now.

Car is 1 month old and has 1100 miles on it.

I am going to leave a socket and ratchet in the glove box. This will not be good if it happens again and it's my wife or daughter driving.

User avatar
Wennfred
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 am
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000660
Location: San Diego, CA (Imperial Beach)

Re: Car won't start OR charge - RESOLVED

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:37 am

jkallen21 wrote:I just had this exact same issue:
1) Plugged Leaf in and it began to charge
2) Within 10 seconds I removed the plug to re-route the cable or something
3) Plugged it back in - single beep, but no blue lights and charger did not "click" like normal (Siemens 220 charger)
4) Closed charging door and tried to start leaf - no "chime" and it would not start. The same way as if you did not pres the brake and tried to start
5) Brake LED was always on on the dash (!) - almost like Leaf could not sense that I was pressing the brake
6) The Upper LED (with the spedeometer) showed both a yellow and red alert, but main dash screen had no info about these alerts
7) I read this thread and removed the negative cable from battery under hood. Left off for maybe 30 seconds and re-attached. All is good now.

Car is 1 month old and has 1100 miles on it.

I am going to leave a socket and ratchet in the glove box. This will not be good if it happens again and it's my wife or daughter driving.



Great info, thanks....is it also a 2013 S like BestPal ride?
I too will carry some tools.


Fred
MFG: FEB 2011, Red Recd 08/10/13 @ 19600 Miles
"Eco Mode" only. 06/24/15 - 9 CB @ 43,000mi 100% charge: GIDS=199, S=95.37, C=46.76, H=50.51 Lost 1st CB at 26300, 2nd CB 34274 3rd CB 43000 miles

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”