neo1700
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 128590

Re: Can't remove charging unit - Resolved

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:02 pm

The same thing happened to me this weekend. I posted the whole story here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18050&p=390309#p390309

The car had to be dragged onto a flat bed truck as it would not go into neutral.

The dealer said he thought he remembered a service bulletin on it.

neo1700
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 128590

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:13 pm

I just got my car back today, after four days. The Nissan dealer, the one I bought it from, didn't even bother to charge my car. I plugged in and had to wait another hour just to have enough miles to make it home.

They replaced my EVSE charger with a newer version, that has a redesigned latching mechanism. It has a different part number than the original one that came with my 2013 Leaf.

My advice to everyone is to contact their dealer and insist on a replacement. At any minute, this could happen to you. Nissan knows these defective units are out there, and they are just a ticking time bomb.

michapok
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 23 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 407648

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 pm

Just had this happen to a colleague of mine who has a 2013 as well. Makes me a little nervous about my cable since I got my Leaf around the same time. I always use my 240V EVSE at home but I definitely don't want to get stuck out if I charge at a friend's house... Here's his story:

Yesterday I had some trouble with my Leaf. I trickle charge my Leaf at home with the charger that came with the car, and when I went to it yesterday morning I could not get the charger cable off the car. I tried the emergency release but that did not work so I called Poughkeepsie Nissan. He tried to walk me through getting that cable off but was unsuccessful. I called for roadside assistance, and a flatbed arrived to my house about an hour later. He tried also but couldn't get the cable off. With that cable still attached the car would not shift into neutral, so he dragged the Leaf onto the flatbed. When we arrived at the dealership he could not get the Leaf off the flatbed so a tech came out, and released it somehow. The found out that the charge cable was bad, and ordered me a new one so I am still using the car but charging it at the Nissan dealership
2013 Metallic Slate Leaf SV+premium package
Webasta 4300 Sunroof

Hudson Valley EV Driver? Join our FB group! http://www.facebook.com/groups/hvelectric

EssDee
Delivery Date: 07 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 2013

Can't remove charging unit

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm having the same problem that others have described: the charger for my 2013 Leaf can't be removed. I followed the directions in the owner's manual (page CH-20) without success.
The release button on the charge is stuck in the down position - I suspect that I may have the problem others mention of a broken piece of plastic inside the charger handle .

Any solutions?
Does Nissan pay for towing and repairs in situations like this?

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Can't remove charging unit

Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:22 pm

EssDee wrote:I'm having the same problem that others have described: the charger for my 2013 Leaf can't be removed. I followed the directions in the owner's manual (page CH-20) without success.
The release button on the charge is stuck in the down position - I suspect that I may have the problem others mention of a broken piece of plastic inside the charger handle .

Any solutions?
Does Nissan pay for towing and repairs in situations like this?

Use a small screwdriver or similar item to pry up the end of the latch on the J1772 connector (handle of charging unit). If it is the Nissan 120-volt unit included with the car, it is covered by the 5-year, 60,000-mile powertrain and EV system warranty so try not to damage it and take it to your dealer for repair/replacement. If it is the 120-volt unit, towing or roadside service might be covered--call the EV Support phone number to find out and arrange towing.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”