tjlyerly
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2013

Can't remove charging unit - Resolved

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Searched through the thread and couldn't find anyone experiencing this issue, but I've had my Leaf for a few months now. I often trickle charge with the unit provided with the car in my garage. Today I went to plug in the charger and the Leaf greets me with 3 flashing lights and beeping noise for about 30 seconds. I try to remove the charger and it is stuck in place. The button you squeeze with your index finger to remove and set the charger in the car seems to be stuck half way depressed. No matter what I do I can't remove the charging unit. Barring getting a rod and try and pry it out or call roadside assistance there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. I've tried lightly pulling the charger while forcefuly pressing the button, unplugging the other end of the cord from the wall, trying to start the car (which won't work because the car senses the charger is in place, but it is not actually charging). Every time I try and do something the leaf through this flashing of lights and beeping.

Seems like the pin inside the button may be broken or an obstruction may be between the unit and the charging port. Seems kindof crazy to call roadside assistance and have the car towed for this but I don't see any other choice. It's late now and the dealer is closed and the roadside assistance number wasn't much help after hours except to offer a tow, which I don't really need now because I'm at home and still have a backup car I can use in the morning.

Anyone experience this and have a solution? Otherwise I'll call the dealer in the morning or have it towed I suppose.
Last edited by tjlyerly on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Re: Can't remove charging unit

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:03 pm

I don't know much about 13's, but isn't here a EVSE lock switch in the car to prevent unplugging?
Could you have hit that?
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

tjlyerly

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I've got a 2013 and it does have a lock switch. That is not engaged, so that's not the issue unless it is engaged without the indicator light being on. Either way, I would think it would be charging if the lock was on - which it is not.

KillaWhat

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:16 pm

tjlyerly wrote:I've got a 2013 and it does have a lock switch. That is not engaged, so that's not the issue unless it is engaged without the indicator light being on. Either way, I would think it would be charging if the lock was on - which it is not.

It probably won't charge now because with the unlock button partly depressed, the proximity detection is tripped.

I would cycle that lock a few times, and if no joy, sounds like a job for the dealer.
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
Horn Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

EVDRIVER

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Try removing your negative 12V battery terminal for 5 minutes and putting it back on.

KillaWhat

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm

"Page CH 20. 2013 users manual"

IF THE CHARGE CONNECTOR CAN NOT BE UNLOCKED
1. Place power switch in the OFF position.
2. Openthehood.
3. Remove the jack rod from the tool set that is located in the cargo area. See “Tools” in the “In Case of Emergency” section.
4. Insert the suitable tool into the screw that is located on the front of hood lock.
5. Turn it clockwise to release the charge con- nector lock.
6. Remove the charge connector.

And pull the negative
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
Horn Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

tjlyerly

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 am

OK I tried to follow the instructions in the manual and in the first responder's guide. http://chargeny.com/files/file/8-nissan ... ers-guide/ (page 18)

It says to find "the screw located through the access hole near the front of the hood lock.". I think I found it, although the illustration appears to have the person inserting the jack rod in the wrong place, but I cannot turn the screw clockwise and turning it counterclockwise only loosens the screw. Either way I can't remove the charger or fully depress the button. Seems pretty stuck in place. I then disconnected the negative from the 12V battery which disabled all power and still no luck. Unless someone has better advice, its the dealer and tow truck for me.

KillaWhat

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 am

tjlyerly wrote:OK I tried to follow the instructions in the manual and in the first responder's guide. http://chargeny.com/files/file/8-nissan ... ers-guide/ (page 18)

It says to find "the screw located through the access hole near the front of the hood lock.". I think I found it, although the illustration appears to have the person inserting the jack rod in the wrong place, but I cannot turn the screw clockwise and turning it counterclockwise only loosens the screw. Either way I can't remove the charger or fully depress the button. Seems pretty stuck in place. I then disconnected the negative from the 12V battery which disabled all power and still no luck. Unless someone has better advice, its the dealer and tow truck for me.

Now I'm interested.
Please let us know what they find.
Good luck
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
Horn Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 am

When you reattached the 12v battery, did you try the lock release switch again? Does it have it's own fuse? Could that fuse be blown? Anything else not working (that could be on the same fuse)?
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 70,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Michelin MXV4 tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

tjlyerly

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 am

Yes, played with the lock release switch. I don't think the issue is electrical. I think it's something physically stuck in place, or a broken spring holding the lock button in place preventing it from being removed.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”