Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Can't remove charging unit

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:32 am

Now I'm interested in the resolution too. Can't help thinking this is one of those "the more stuff you add the more stuff to break" situations; obviously I don't have a lock connector.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

tjlyerly
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2013

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:13 am

...and the plot continues on this. Called the dealer and scheduled a tow truck to come by my house after I get home from work to tow it to the dealer. The fella at the dealer says they are very interested in this and actually are flying somebody from Michigan down to look at this issue. Says they have had a few issues like this reported and were glad to know the charger was still stuck in place. They asked to keep it a few days to do root cause.

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Says they have had a few issues like this reported and were glad to know the charger was still stuck in place.

Tell them you planned it that way just so they could diagnose this situation for the benefit of all :roll: :roll:
Let us know.
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

ERG4ALL
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000404

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

I wonder if trying to insert the handle with some force all the way in as if you were just hooking it up to charge? Then, see if you hear a click or anything and see if it would then release. Keep us informed, this may be a recall issue if it happens with any regularity.
Reserved 4/20/10, Ocean Blue Ordered SL 9/30/10, ESVE Installed 11/22/10, Delivered March 8th, 2011.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Did they give you a Loaner car in the mean-time?
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

tjlyerly

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 pm

...another update on this. A flat bed tow truck came out but the way my garage and driveway are situated, there is no way for him to pull in to hook up the car without putting the car in neutral and pushing it out first - which we can't do because of this situation. The car still has a half a charge left but since it is sensing the charger as still being plugged in, it can't be removed from park. So right now, it is a brick in my garage.

Called the dealer and we scheduled a time for them to come out tomorrow afternoon and manually override the gear setting so it can be removed from the garage and towed. Evidently there is a way to do this that only maintenance can do. He did say that likely the visitor from Michigan will come out to my house to oversee this and see the situation. So I'm getting some special attention from one of the engineers from corporate.

They were nice enough and offered a loaner car. I actually don't need to loaner right now, but will gladly take the credits to use on a family road trip in the future when it could come in more use.

More drama to come.

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Wow, Good Luck!
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm

tjlyerly wrote:...there is no way for him to pull in to hook up the car without putting the car in neutral and pushing it out first - which we can't do because of this situation.

A simple quick fix is to simply disconnect the small connector running from the J1772 charge inlet into the LEAF's front harness. This will remove the proximity signal, and the car will drive normally.

Here is the diagram, I'm reasonably sure the one you want is shown in red:

You could then simply drive the car to the dealer after wrapping and safely stowing the EVSE under the hood somewhere.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Ingineer wrote:You could then simply drive the car to the dealer after wrapping and safely stowing the EVSE under the hood somewhere.

Although that's not quite as much fun as having Nissan engineers over to your garage for an impromptu tech session :D
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

tjlyerly

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Yikes. Good information to have. I'm tempted to do this and drive it in but since I've got the professionals coming to me tomorrow - I think I'll defer. Besides I think as a engineer they might appreciate me to leave the issue in as pristine condition as possible so they can do proper root cause without me fooling around in there. However if it looks like they are going to knock the wall off my garage to get to the car, I'll suggest this to them.

My greatest fear at this point is that when they arrive they will simply push or pull on the charger button a little harder than I did and remove it without issue.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”