Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Re: Can't remove charging unit

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Yes, pay attention to everything they do and let us know the outcome!

If you can take pictures, that's even better!

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

tjlyerly
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2013

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:55 pm

OK, I have resolution. It was a bad EVSE unit and it was the button lever on the handle that went out locking it in place. Likely it was the plastic pin that broke or got deformed locking it halfway depressed. They wanted to take it apart in front of the manufacturer to confirm the issue with them. Good news is they were able to safely remove the charger and confirm there was nothing wrong with the car and didn't have to tow it. They provided me with a new EVSE, took the broken one and I'm good to go.

When the person from Nissan corporate came down with the local rep and a tech, they wanted to document everything so that their manufacturer could be made aware and to confirm it was not a case of abuse of the EVSE. (i.e. it was only a few months old and I didn't drop it from 10 feet or run over it with the car) So likely a bad part supplier or error in manufacture.

They took plenty of pictures and were nice enough and we spent an hour or so talking through everything. The process of removing the charger required taking off the plastic protector from the hood and only took a few minutes to pop the charger out. However, this was easy because it was not a hot system because the other end of my EVSE was disconnected from the wall. IF THIS WAS LIVE SYSTEM YOU COULD EASILY KILL YOUSELF TRYING TO DO THIS. For this reason, the process to remove the plug is not something that is documented in the manual and not somehting I should describe here lest somebody try it and kill themself.

Suggestion for Nissan from me is to design a way to safely "pop out" a charger if it gets stuck in place like this again. Something like a safety release button under the hood. Seems like a smart thing to do because there are plenty of 3rd party manufacturers of these handles and cords and they can't control the quality on all of them. It would be quite a hassle if this were to happen on a live level 2 charger in a public place. If that were to happen a registered tech would have to come out, confirm that power has been disabled on the cord from the charger, then perform the procedure. Could be quite an involved process and something somebody would be tempted to try on their own with possibly dangerous results. A safety release somewhere in the car would be a better idea.
Last edited by tjlyerly on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tjlyerly

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:59 pm

BTW - sorry about the typos in the above post. I should really use spell check instead of typing off the top of my head. Writing this because I know Nissan monitors these boards pretty closely.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Make and model of EVSE?

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

tjlyerly

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:17 pm

This is the EVSE that is supplied with the car on 2013 models in that little black bag in the back. Believe it is a Panasonic model but the issue is actually with Yazaki who is the manufacturer of the handle or gun at the end.

Ingineer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:31 pm

tjlyerly wrote:Suggestion for Nissan from me is to design a way to safely "pop out" a charger if it gets stuck in place like this again. Something like a safety release button under the hood. Seems like a smart thing to do because there are plenty of 3rd party manufacturers of these handles and cords and they can't control the quality on all of them.
This is the very first report of a Yazaki handle failing in this manner. We've had a few reports of "no-name" Chinese handles getting stuck, but never an OEM brand. I chalk it up as a one-time defect. It would therefore be silly to add some method to remove a latched handle when it's an extremely rare problem. Given that the lock pawl on the new Yazaki handle is plastic (the older ones were cast metal), It's a trival matter to pop it off with a flat blade. I bet you don't even need to remove anything if you're adept.

Despite being plastic, these handles are very rugged and routinely survive being dropped, dragged, and ran over.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

tjlyerly

Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:42 pm

It wasn't a one off event. It's happened enough that Nissan corporate cared enough to fly somebody down to document the issue so it can be presented to the manufacturer. Still think the safety release is a good idea for Nissan and all plugin manufacturers. My materials engineering background tells me that many of these EVSE handles will be stationed in extreme temperatures and over long periods of time even some of the best metals and plastics will deform, crystalize and break. I think over time you'll have more reports of handles getting stuck. Should be an easy way to safely and quickly remove a stuck handle by a lay person.

Ingineer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 pm

If the release breaks, it's almost always going to be in a way that allows handle removal. I disagree with your logic; if it was a common occurrence, they wouldn't be flying people around to look at it! Here at EVSE Upgrade, we have probably talked to more LEAF owners than anyone (even Nissan) about the OEM (Panasonic) charger, and if there was a problem with the gen 2 unit, we'd know about it by now, as we already have almost a thousand upgrades out there using this same model.

The only way I can see a failure resulting in inability to remove is something interfering with the latch release, such as a foreign object, or another piece that has ended up in a bad location. The release mechanism is one piece of plastic from the pawl to the button, and there is a spring and pivot. 3 parts.

-Phil

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:38 pm

By the way...now that's it's all over...there was something I remembered from an old thread; someone complaining that you could still run people over with the EVSE attached. So I went home and tried it. With the EVSE attached, the car still powers up, and it can be put in Neutral. This suggests that the car could be pushed out of the garage.

Since no one else mentioned this, I suppose a firmware change may have removed this option. Mine's a 2011.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

Ingineer

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Yeah, In 2012 the issued a firmware update that removed the N capability. I suspect the 2013's are this way too.

-Phil

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”