Car Alarm goes off unexpectedly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srtidd

The LEAF security alarm (car horn) went off at 6 am this morning. Rude Awakening! It stopped after unplugging the charge cable. The alarm had not been "armed", car was in the garage, no one around. Any thoughts as to why this would occur??

I was doing some work once with the FOB in my pocket and noticed the car alarm going off. I was leaning on a table at the time and it just happened to be pressing the panic button.

I would see where your FOBs were at the time of the alarm going off. Maybe even open one to see if the battery is possibly corroding causing a short.

On the camping trip I just got back from, I'd tried to gently "push" my LEAF's rear hatch closed rather than the usual brisk closure, so as to make less after-dark disturbance of the other sardine-packed campers. The car alarm duly went off at about 03:00, due to (best guess here) thermal effects popping the incompletely-latched hatch back open. This was after I had carefully stowed my trousers with the key fob still pocketed in my duffel bag so that I wouldn't roll over and inadvertently set off the alarm. I have no idea how the alarm got shut off; all I know is that I was still frantically pawing through my zippered duffel looking for the fob, in the strobe-light effect of the headlights (car was parked aiming at the tent).

Could we have a show of hands, please? How many people have ever heard of anyone, however distantly acquainted, benefitting in any way from a car alarm? Uh huh... I could get the binoculars to make sure, but I don't see any hands.... And how many would cheerfully pound their car alarm's electronics into powder with this sledgehammer? No! Not all at once! One at... bpjkzxz;xklm.. One at a time, people, pleazzmmp! <oof!> heeeellllp!

Levenkay said:
On the camping trip I just got back from, I'd tried to gently "push" my LEAF's rear hatch closed rather than the usual brisk closure, so as to make less after-dark disturbance of the other sardine-packed campers. The car alarm duly went off at about 03:00, due to (best guess here) thermal effects popping the incompletely-latched hatch back open. This was after I had carefully stowed my trousers with the key fob still pocketed in my duffel bag so that I wouldn't roll over and inadvertently set off the alarm. I have no idea how the alarm got shut off; all I know is that I was still frantically pawing through my zippered duffel looking for the fob, in the strobe-light effect of the headlights (car was parked aiming at the tent).

Could we have a show of hands, please? How many people have ever heard of anyone, however distantly acquainted, benefitting in any way from a car alarm? Uh huh... I could get the binoculars to make sure, but I don't see any hands.... And how many would cheerfully pound their car alarm's electronics into powder with this sledgehammer? No! Not all at once! One at... bpjkzxz;xklm.. One at a time, people, pleazzmmp! <oof!> heeeellllp!

*Raises hand high in the air* I used to have a Viper alarm with voice that said "Protected by Security System, Stand Back!" on my Celica-GT-S and it helped me many, many times. The best one was when it was parked in a carport with several other cars at my apt. complex. Every car but mine was broken into one night. Also, I've kept people away from my car by setting the 'voice' about two feet from my car and when they were too close and were going to look in, it would warn them in a stern voice...very effective.

I am having the same issue with my 2011 LEAF, the alarm goes on and off randomly. I took it to the service shop and they could not replicate the issue and there were no errors in the log. I took the car back and last night it was annoying us and the neighbors. How was your alarm issue fixed?

I had the alarm going off randomly while charging the battery. The local Nissan centre advised removing all the lithium ion batteries, and running a full diagnostic on the Leaf's electronics, for which they would charge me a mere 2100 UK pounds.

I thought I'd see if I could come up with a cheaper solution when charging the car by centrally locking on leaving the car (as usual), but then pressing the unlock fob button once to unlock driver's door before relocking manually with the metal key, so the car was fully locked but not centrally.

This seemed to do the trick, but occasionally the alarm still went off. Eventually I realised that this was occurring when I inserted the charger lead AFTER my "lock, unlock, turn key to relock" routine.

So, in conclusion: make sure you insert the charging lead before clicking on unlock and relocking manually.

Back