The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhm614

I know Mark1313 has already gone through the process but I've had trouble keeping up with his posts. Other replacements will start happening soon. So, I though we should have a Battery Replacement Thread.

Some of Mark's comments are here:

Getting the 4BL confirmed

Possible Pack Cost & Timing of the upgrade

I think the pack price was incorrect but I can't find that post.

Longer recharge time on refreshed battery

3 Day turn on replacement

Possible Range Improvement on New Pack (but probably not)

And here are my experiences so far:

6/29/13 - Lost Bar 4

7/17/13 - Had the P3227 reprogramming done. My dealer (Don Davis -- great guys but tough negotiators) verified the 4BL and faxed (!?!) my info to corporate.

7/18/13 - Dealer service rep calls, let's me know that I qualify for the replacement, that they've had one other 4BL but they don't have a procedure in place on how to handle it. They also don't have an ETA on the battery.

7/19/13 - Dealer rep calls again, is polite but very vague. So I open a call with 1-877-NoGasEv. They explained that the replacement batteries were being built with an ETA of early to mid September, that they would handle the details with my dealer and that they would update me each Wednesday. (They have followed up on this like clockwork).

8/26/13 - I got the call tonight; The initial replacement (non-Hot) batteries are beginning to roll out. Depending on where they arrive and how they are shipped, I could get the swap this week. Per 1-877-NoGasEv, the actual swap is quick, but they may keep the car 2 (possibly 3) days for testing. They offered a rental car to use during the swap / test period. (Hope it's a Pearl White SL but it will probably be an ICE...)

I'm going to make sure I get a full charge each night this week and take "Before" pics on the Android App each morning and I'll update the thread as I have more details. It would be great if others could post their experiences as well.

Hello Jason,

Glad to hear that you might get yours this week - great to meet you this past Saturday in Scottsdale.

July 12th, 28704 Miles: Noticed the Leaf capacity meter dropped the fourth bar.
July 21st: Took the Leaf in for the software update and to request the battery replacement. Delayed a little to work around my schedule and the Nissan Tech's vacation schedule.
July 30th : Case opened up for Battery Replacement. They said that they had to order a battery, and it would take about 4-5 weeks to get here - end of August or first week of September. The rep reported that he would follow up with me every week to let me know of any status changes.
Aug 7th: Nissan representative called to report that there was no change in the ETA
Aug 14th: Same representative called, no status change
Aug 21st: Same representative called, no status change

As with Jason, they confirmed that they'll need the car for a couple of days and I would get a loaner during that time. I was impressed with the level of service I've received on this so far. I appreciate the calls, even though there has been no status change. I've asked a couple of questions along the way about the process, and got good response.

One thing that impresses me about the car is how well it performs even with a low battery. Acceleration appears to be the same, all the way down to VLBW. I kind of wondered if at some point my acceleration would be limited or my regen would be limited, but no change except for the lowered range.

However, as I've noted in other threads, the LBW and VLBW warnings come at the same GID count as a new battery, so you have proportionately less range (psychologically, because you 'fear' LBW :) because the distance between approximately 74% of your capacity is between Full and LBW (195 to 50 GIDs) versus 82% for a new pack (281 to 50 GIDs). If you aren't comfortable using the car below LBW (like my wife) then this exaggerates the range loss.

8/28: Nissan Rep called to inform me that the battery packs are arriving at the West Cost on Sept 5th, and I should be able to have mine replaced sometime during the week of Sept 9.

phxsmiley said:
8/28: Nissan Rep called to inform me that the battery packs are arriving at the West Cost on Sept 5th, and I should be able to have mine replaced sometime during the week of Sept 9.
So does that mean that the replacement packs are coming from Japan and not Tennessee? Do you know if you're getting a 2013 spec pack or a 2011-12 spec pack? Supposedly the '13 pack is a drop-in replacement?

We are getting a 2013 Battery Pack, and I'm fairly certain that this is coming from Japan. At the Saturday meeting, they verified that all the replacement packs are made from the 2013 modules.

phxsmiley said:
We are getting a 2013 Battery Pack, and I'm fairly certain that this is coming from Japan. At the Saturday meeting, they verified that all the replacement packs are made from the 2013 modules.
Cool - I wonder why they are still coming from Japan? I still suspect that Tennessee isn't actually pumping out any LEAF batteries yet or they are still "forming" for some reason... It must be cheaper to ship from Tennessee than from Japan?

2011 Leaf SL, purchased August 10th 2013 with 19,500 miles..... new to the forum and also new to the whole battery warrenty deal, so basically what I know is 8 years/ 100,000 mile battery warrently. now if the outside battery gage drops 4 bars it in battery replacement range? And if so, all it takes is to report to your nearest Nissan Dealer to start the replacement process?

Great info, thanks guys for posting.

Fred, San Diego Ca.

Wennfred said:
2011 Leaf SL, purchased August 10th 2013 with 19,500 miles..... new to the forum and also new to the whole battery warrenty deal, so basically what I know is 8 years/ 100,000 mile battery warrently. now if the outside battery gage drops 4 bars it in battery replacement range? And if so, all it takes is to report to your nearest Nissan Dealer to start the replacement process?

Great info, thanks guys for posting.

Fred, San Diego Ca.

Hey, Fred.

8/100k is workmanship and materials only, irrespective of capacity.
Capacity warranty is 5/60k. Car must drop below 9 capacity bars within the warranty period.

I would start all communications with respect to warranty repair by calling 1-877-NO-GAS-EV

mwalsh said:
Hey, Fred.

8/100k is workmanship and materials only, irrespective of capacity.
Capacity warranty is 5/60k. Car must drop below 9 capacity bars within the warranty period.

I would start all communications with respect to warranty repair by calling 1-877-NO-GAS-EV

Thank you very much.

Fred, San Diego, Ca.

Got the call from 877-NoGasEV The battery hit the dealership late Friday afternoon and I'm dropping Future Car off for the replacement this morning. For reference, here are my "Before" screen shots. Note: I didn't take screen shots pre-P3227 update, but according to my BatLog.txt my AHr were 42.56 when I lost Bar 4.

Screenshot_2013-09-09-06-17-54.png

Screenshot_2013-09-09-06-18-26.png

I am curious to know if the pack they are providing is a brand new pack... i know that the official language stated that it would get you back up to 9 bars, which infers a refurbished pack.

They probably don't have any refurbished packs yet. That will be for future exchanges if they ever start refurbishing packs.

jhm614 said:
Got the call from 877-NoGasEV The battery hit the dealership late Friday afternoon and I'm dropping Future Car off for the replacement this morning. For reference, here are my "Before" screen shots. Note: I didn't take screen shots pre-P3227 update, but according to my BatLog.txt my AHr were 42.56 when I lost Bar 4.
Thanks for the update!

I just wanted to note that your LEAF appears to be getting the replacement battery at 68.9% Ah or 69.4% GIDs. Nissan had indicated that they would be replacing the batteries when they dropped below 70% of original capacity, and this is right on that mark. There had been some concern that losing four bars corresponded to 66.25% and that meant battery replacements would occur below that level.

I'm not quite sure where the difference comes into play. Perhaps battery health is the key here?

My battery replacement process is complete. I dropped the Leaf off Monday 9/9/13 at 8 a.m. and picked her back up Tuesday 9/10/13 at 4 p.m. The physical replacement was completed before noon on Monday and my car was charged Monday afternoon. I was able to verify the car was charging on Monday afternoon with the Nissan Leaf App on my iPhone. On Tuesday morning, the car was driven 35 miles and the pack was again recharged. When I picked it up Tuesday afternoon, both my charge and capacity bars were at 12! In my seat-of-the-pants estimation, the car's range seems brand new -- the GOM showed 107 miles this morning. When I pulled into work, I still had 69 miles on the GOM -- basically the range I had been starting with last week. The GOM showed 28 miles when I got home tonight and last week I had regularly been hitting VLBW. Yes, I am considering a 100 mile run. I will let you know if I come to my senses.

Overall, once the capacity warranty was announced and I qualified, the battery replacement process was handled very professionally by both my dealer and by 877-NoGasEv. However, I will say that NoGasEv completely outclassed my dealer as far as understanding the process and having accurate information about what was happening.

A few notes from the invoice:

1) The only part number listed on the invoice is 295B03NA7A, however it doesn't show a description.

2) Parts and Labor as listed as 0.00

3) Page 2 of the invoice lists "Leaf Li-Ion Battery Exchange Credit: Submit as Expense Code 188 for $1,500.00"

4) The dealer's cashier had a significantly more detailed invoice for the dealership. I believe it listed labor charges and may have had parts charges as well. She wouldn't give it to me :D Smart Girl

One sour note -- there was no "hot battery voucher" in the paper work from the dealer and in my excitement of seeing 12 bars I forgot to ask about it. D'oh! I have opened a case with 877-NoGasEv.

Finally, for comparison, this morning's screen shots. My state of charge was 93.4%, where last week I was hitting 95.1% and my VIN appears different now-- a "L&" is being appended. Unsure if this indicates some type of firmware change or if it has occasionally showed on the Leaf Battery App and I just never noticed it.

Screenshot_2013-09-11-05-44-15.png

Screenshot_2013-09-11-05-45-05.png

keep us posted Jason. you are a rare bird. new battery (or as close as we can get) with an ELM in hot weather. too bad it isnt June instead of Sept...

The original batteries didn't really show any issues until year two. I assume we won't really know if the 2013 batteries perform better than the 2011s until the end of next summer.

I need to bring my leaf in...it would be nice not to start the day with 60 mile range.

jhm614 said:
My battery replacement process is complete.
Congratulations! That must feel good!

I see your new battery is already nice and hot. I'm wondering if you will get a second new battery under the warranty, assuming you don't swap for a "high-temperature" one soon.

Back