Can't remove charge plug from Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

I went to charge my car today, 13 Leaf SL and all 3 blue lights were flashing and beeping.

I tried to remove the plug, but it seems to be locked in.

Any thoughts?

There is a locking mechanism. Check inside the car and turn the locking switch off. Otherwise, it won't disconnect unless done charging and lights are out.

smkettner said:
greengate said:
all 3 blue lights were flashing and beeping.

Sequentially? In unison? Random?
Fast beep, slow, together with the lights?
I responded, but it didn't post.

The grey button on the white charging plug seem to be broken. If I pull up on it and hold it in this position, the car will charge. As soon as I let go of it the car goes into rapid flashing and beeping for about 30 seconds and stops.

This grey release button will not release the locking mechanism.

I have turned on and then off the timer as well as the locking button inside the car.

I turned the screw under the hood both ways and it will still not release.

Can't drive the car to the dealer as it will not go into gear with the charging handle in place.

greengate said:
smkettner said:
greengate said:
all 3 blue lights were flashing and beeping.

Sequentially? In unison? Random?
Fast beep, slow, together with the lights?
I responded, but it didn't post.

The grey button on the white charging plug seem to be broken. If I pull up on it and hold it in this position, the car will charge. As soon as I let go of it the car goes into rapid flashing and beeping for about 30 seconds and stops.

This grey release button will not release the locking mechanism.

I have turned on and then off the timer as well as the locking button inside the car.

I turned the screw under the hood both ways and it will still not release.

Can't drive the car to the dealer as it will not go into gear with the charging handle in place.

Problem solved.

The charging handle is not operating correctly.

When you push down on the grey button to release it from the socket, it would only partially lift the grey tab with the hook on it.

Martin, the salesman and Leaf expert at the Autobarn Nissan in Evanston, just stopped by my house on his way home and he managed to get it up enough to release it from the socket.

Seem like there is something either broken or out of alignment with the mechanics in the handle.

I'll take it in tomorrow.

Should be covered under warranty.

GlennD said:
What kind of EVSE are you using? All of them have at least a year warranty.
It's the one that came with the Leaf.

Took it in today to the dealer. Expect for it to be covered under the warranty although I've had the car for 15 months now.

greengate said:
GlennD said:
What kind of EVSE are you using? All of them have at least a year warranty.
It's the one that came with the Leaf.

Took it in today to the dealer. Expect for it to be covered under the warranty although I've had the car for 15 months now.

That one should be covered under Nissan's 3 year warranty.

I experienced a similar problem in the below thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, I was having the same problem on my 2014 Leaf SL. Happened this morning. I tried the locking mechanism, but I could see it advancing and retreating as expected. I even tried adjusting it with the screw under the hood as referenced in this thread. I then called Siemens, which is the charging unit I am using, and they had no additional info. I managed to unseat the pin for the Siemens charger and I could see it was free of the latch mechanism. It was also unattached enough that I could turn it on, so I pulled the charging station off of my wall, fed it into the car via the passenger window, and drove it down to the dealership.

I just got a call from the service manager, who said no one there has ever seen this problem. The EVSE connector had WELDED ITSELF DIRECTLY TO THE CHARGING PORT!!! How in the world this could have happened, I have no idea. But I still had to share. From the looks of it, there is no sign that there had been a short or any other electrical problem.

Bizarre. Oh, and it's going to be $2,000 to fix it, mostly in labor. GAHHHHHH!

skialta said:
So, I was having the same problem on my 2014 Leaf SL. Happened this morning. I tried the locking mechanism, but I could see it advancing and retreating as expected. I even tried adjusting it with the screw under the hood as referenced in this thread. I then called Siemens, which is the charging unit I am using, and they had no additional info. I managed to unseat the pin for the Siemens charger and I could see it was free of the latch mechanism. It was also unattached enough that I could turn it on, so I pulled the charging station off of my wall, fed it into the car via the passenger window, and drove it down to the dealership.

I just got a call from the service manager, who said no one there has ever seen this problem. The EVSE connector had WELDED ITSELF DIRECTLY TO THE CHARGING PORT!!! How in the world this could have happened, I have no idea. But I still had to share. From the looks of it, there is no sign that there had been a short or any other electrical problem.

Bizarre. Oh, and it's going to be $2,000 to fix it, mostly in labor. GAHHHHHH!
After Nissan changes the port, I would request the old parts to confirm probability it was caused by by either a bad crimp on the female EVSE pin or bad pin itself in the EVSE. Then approach Siemens with the news and see what they have to say.
It is unlikely ( but not impossible) that the male pin became loose on the car itself, however if that is what caused the overheating than I would think that would be covered in Warranty by Nissan 60 months/100K km EV system coverage specifically listed as "Onboard charger connector" ( found on page 7 of the 2016 warranty information booklet).

Back