Graycenphil
Delivery Date: 30 Jan 2014
Leaf Number: 425345

Re: Heater/AC Fan Removal?

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:58 am

I have found no surefire way of keeping rodents out. Sometimes mothballs or pepermint oil work, but you probably don't want either near your fan. Using the vehicle frequently will discourage them. If you're parking in a garage, setting traps near the car will help too.

I planned to take my car to the dealer under warranty when I heard the noisy fan, but they were nice enough to tell me that if it turned out to ba an animal, it wouldn't bec overed by the warranty. I can't blame them for not covering it, but they really should have warned you in advance.

mkoswatte
Delivery Date: 07 Apr 2016

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:39 pm

Hello.. I also had a problem of mouse getting in..
First you have to stop acceess to the place just under the windshield.
I think they get in there through the water outlet. Then it can go into the hole whare the fresh air get inside. You may cover those 2 holes by using a metel net which have drills that do not allow the troble makers to go in.

To see inside clearly you have to remove the plastic grill. It is not a difficult job.

Remove the caps of the wipers at the root by just pulling it out

And remove the wipers by loosoning the nuts. You may need to fold the wipers out side to remove them easily.

open the bonet. There are 4 clips and 2 plastic bolts. Remove them carefully.
Then you can remove the enitere plastic grill. But it has tubes connected with wires going to the mortor. So you may keep it little away and see inside.

Now you know how to get in there rather than through doors or windows.. :)

WilsonSATX
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 009511

Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:12 pm

I appreciate all of you who have posted, especially the pictures. I had a vibration in my 2011 Leaf fan for a couple weeks, then it stopped completely. Had a mouse nest in there that almost completely filled the fan. But from start to finish, cleaning out the fan only took about a half hour. That electronic unit that some of you had to move wasn't in the way for me. Once I had the glove box out, the fan was just a twist and pull... Didn't even unhook the wire.

Thanks!

imaric
Delivery Date: 07 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 003932

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 pm

I found that spraying diluted Pinesol around the air intake helps. But you need to spray it every few days. Also, a piece of Irish soap would do, It smells bad, but if you get it so it "fragrance" doesn't get inside, you are OK. In general, pieces of steel wool here and there would deter the rodents.

imaric
Delivery Date: 07 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 003932

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:38 pm

I just removed the blower motor and cleaned the housing. In my case, there were no rodent artifacts, but small pointy leafs from trees here in San Diego. Leaf produced 07/2011. Didn't have to remove computer, it was against the front firewall. Had to pull the harness that was in a way and had a popup pin to one of the frames that is impossible to squeeze and pull out as something is in a way.
The key thing is that press tab on the motor, without someone prior to me in this post pointing to it I would get stuck there.
Other key point is to remove all tools, including small hanging or magnetic flashlight before putting glove box back in. Or you will do all kind of acrobatic moves with your hand laying on your back/shoulders ;-)
And, as you are already there, replace cabin filter-get one ahead of time. :P
Thanks everybody who contributed to this post and instructions !!!!!
Ivan

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:38 am

Thank you, everyone, for the easy-to-follow instructions and photos. I had a bird feather that was causing noise in my blower fan. I have no idea how something so relatively big got inside. (It was about 5 inches/13 cm long.)
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

dsnowdenifft
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 007789

Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:46 pm

I want to thank you guys for this information.

My fan just quit working. It started out as a weird rattle and over the next few months just quit on me.

I took it to the dealer who said it would be $800 to replace because it meant taking the dash apart.

With these instructions it took me less than an hour to get the dead fan out.

A new fan from Nissan for $160 was reinstalled in even less time.

Thanks again!

Graycenphil
Delivery Date: 30 Jan 2014
Leaf Number: 425345

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:42 am

Glad it worked and saved you all that money. And time. I just wonder, was the dealer padding that repair? Surely they know that the dash doesn't really need to come apart. Or if they call that "coming apart", that it still takes less than an hour.

By the way, Rockauto sells the fan for about $50, if you really want to avoid the dealer.

rawbone
Delivery Date: 12 May 2017
Leaf Number: 408999

Fri May 12, 2017 8:59 am

i bought the Rockauto one (Four Seasons 76952 Blower Motor W/ Wheel) and it came in with a pig tail and a female connector coming off the unit, but the wrong connector.

The stock motor one is a male insert (on/in the body) that connects to the female connector coming from the chassis. Anyone know the way around this? The pigtail has a tight rubber piece attached to the unit so maybe you pull that out? I did not want to compromise the wire/unit before asking.

TIA

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”