Driver window stuck in closed position, other window fine

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilimats

I just purchased a 2011 nissan leaf, the driver window is stuck all the way up, control button is not doing anything or making any noise, other window work fine

Is the door frame easy to open so i can see if there is a loose cable down there? Dealership wants $100 for diagnostic and more for fix ouch

Even a used car comes with some kind of shorter term warranty, especially if bought from a dealer. If you bought from a private party, maybe not.

Any repair shop should be able to fix a window, you don't need a dealer.

It's a common problem in the 2011 LEAFs. The control button on the driver's door fails. I would recommend purchasing that part online and replacing it yourself or asking a friend who is good with cars to do it. It's not a difficult job.

BTW, a car with a stuck driver's window will not pass the annual safety inspection in this state. I suspect other states have similar laws.

Here is link that lists the switch part #.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15495&hilit=window+switch#p351847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there are several threads about window problems.
Several indicate problems with misalignment of a silicone strip in some vehicles that may in some cases also have resulted in the switch failing.
So bad switch might not be all of the problem.
See:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10814&start=0#p247421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/5935-Window-Problems/page2?highlight=windows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Probably a link to the service manual in the reference section, if you need it.
No need. It's trivial. You need to lift the black triangle that holds the switches on the driver's door. To do this, put your hand in the door handle and turn your fingers forward. You will feel that there is a slight indentation to allow you to lift the back of the black triangle. Lift firmly until you hear the first pop. Then slide your fingers in and lift firmly further back. Once you hear the second pop, you can slide the entire assembly toward the rear about one inch to free the front and allow it to lift free. From there, you can see what needs to be done to replace the module, especially once you have the replacement unit in hand.
TimLee said:
So bad switch might not be all of the problem.
Thanks, Tim! Good information!

Still, the switch needs to be replaced based on OP's description of the problem. I recommend doing that first and seeing how well the window moves. If it is sluggish, then you might want to look into the other issue. Unfortunately, that one is quite a bit more involved.

RegGuheert said:
It's a common problem in the 2011 LEAFs. The control button on the driver's door fails. I would recommend purchasing that part online and replacing it yourself or asking a friend who is good with cars to do it. It's not a difficult job.

BTW, a car with a stuck driver's window will not pass the annual safety inspection in this state. I suspect other states have similar laws.

What's an annual safety inspection? Here you only have to have it inspected the first time you bring a used car into the state and never again after that. New cars never get inspected.

ksnogas2112 said:
What's an annual safety inspection? Here you only have to have it inspected the first time you bring a used car into the state and never again after that. New cars never get inspected.
We get to do it every year for every vehicle.

Thanks guys ! the user NYLEAF had the exact same issue where his driver window stopped working completely like mine, and on page two he confirmed replacing the driver window switch fixed it ( part number 25401-3NAOB ), thanks for putting me on the right track !!!

I see that this part number isnt sold anywhere online, no result in google search, ill call a few dealers to get a quotes

and thx for the step by step instruction on how to open the door cover, ill probably make a HOW TO video on youtube too

kilimats said:
Thanks guys ! the user NYLEAF had the exact same issue where his driver window stopped working completely like mine, and on page two he confirmed replacing the driver window switch fixed it ( part number 25401-3NAOB ), thanks for putting me on the right track !!!

I see that this part number isnt sold anywhere online, no result in google search, ill call a few dealers to get a quotes

and thx for the step by step instruction on how to open the door cover, ill probably make a HOW TO video on youtube too
Correction, part number is 25401-3NA0B (not an "O" but a ZERO at the end)

Called a few dealer and got quoted $148.40 for it, anyone know a cheaper place? or a way to get it used maybe?

nevermind, found a cheaper price online using that corrected part number, $101.51 not bad ! http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-nissan/254013na0b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kubel said:
You can also try a junkyard and go with a used part. Pretty much any wrecked LEAF will still have a good window switch.

cool found the part used for $80 shipped here http://car-part.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ill open the door trim and trey fixing it myself before ordering though

ordered the used part shipped for $55, and already took apart the broken one to make sure it was not a simple lose cable or bad connection on the board.

waiting for switch to arrive now

Last follow up, the used switch has arrived, replaced it under 20min and all is working again :D

Back