kilimats
Delivery Date: 13 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 2011

Re: Driver window stuck in closed position, other window fin

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:01 pm

cwerdna wrote:
ksnogas2112 wrote:What's an annual safety inspection?

Yep. There are no state annual (safety or not) inspections in WA nor CA. I'd never heard of these before until the age of online forums like this.

The inspection i was talking about is for importing a car from the state into canada, we have different regulation here like DRLs

The car passed with flying colors, happy ending indeed :D

TimLee
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:58 pm

kilimats wrote:...The inspection i was talking about is for importing a car from the states into canada, we have different regulation here like DRLs

Your location says Blaine, WA.
Did you move from Blaine to Canada?

Did you add Daytime Running Lights?
Not having DRL on all of the vehicles they manufacture is one of Nissan's general brand deficiencies.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

kilimats

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:05 pm

TimLee wrote:
kilimats wrote:...The inspection i was talking about is for importing a car from the states into canada, we have different regulation here like DRLs

Your location says Blaine, WA.
Did you move from Blaine to Canada?

Did you add Daytime Running Lights?
Not having DRL on all of the vehicles they manufacture is one of Nissan's general brand deficiencies.

Ya moved there, i added DRL by simply linking two pins to convert FOG light to DRL, took me 30min, nothing to buy.

handyguy
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2014
Leaf Number: 5186

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 pm

My 2011 LEAF had the same problem. Everything was fine, then one day the driver window was unresponsive, stuck in the closed position. From helpful advice at this site, I just bought a new complete window switch assembly from Tasca Auto Parts for $116- with shipping. I popped the driver's door switch assembly out with a butter knife, replaced the assembly and all is now working perfectly. 2011 LEAF, bought used as a lease return. LEAF now has ~ 25,000 miles ;)

kilimats

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Glad it helped :)

lukati
Delivery Date: 07 Dec 2011

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:59 am

I am having the same problem on my MY2012 and a replacement switch has been ordered. Looking at the plastic triangle that needs to be lifted, this doesn't appear to be an entirely obvious task.

From a previous post:
It's trivial. You need to lift the black triangle that holds the switches on the driver's door. To do this, put your hand in the door handle and turn your fingers forward. You will feel that there is a slight indentation to allow you to lift the back of the black triangle. Lift firmly until you hear the first pop. Then slide your fingers in and lift firmly further back. Once you hear the second pop, you can slide the entire assembly toward the rear about one inch to free the front and allow it to lift free. From there, you can see what needs to be done to replace the module, especially once you have the replacement unit in hand.

In my case the quality of the fit is quite good. There is just a horizontal seam where the top piece meets the bottom piece. No obvious indentations or other things to hold on to. It is clear that the top piece must be lifted (presumably after the mirror knob has been removed), but this doesn't appear to be a simple hand job of pressing here and lifting there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lukati

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Turned out to be trivial after all. Don't try to lift at the plastic to plastic seam. Instead take a flat bladed instrument and lift the plastic at the "fabric" to plastic interface. Maybe two thirds up toward the narrow corner (between door lock and mirror knob) worked well for me. The mirror knob stays on, the whole assembly lifts out of the door in one piece.

listless
Delivery Date: 14 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 16982

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:59 am

Thanks for this thread. I have a 2012 LEAF with the same exact problem.

I just ordered the part from Tasca -- but it was $139.85 for me with shipping and tax. Bad timing I guess.

I'll try to create a YouTube video when I replace it if it really is as easy as I am led to believe here.

essaunders
Delivery Date: 20 Jan 2012

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 am

I'll weigh in and say my 2012 appears to have this problem. I just haven't opened up my door yet. I was going to check my switch before ordering a replacement, but that is starting to appear to be a very conservative move.

lukati

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:13 am

A video would be great. It took me a while to figure out how to lift the plastic triangle. I was under the impression that I needed to "press and lift" at the plastic seam. Instead, all it takes is to go in horizontally between fabric and plastic with a flat instrument (I used a butter knife). Separating the two connectors and getting the switch out of the assembly actually took more time than lifting the triangle.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”