EVDRIVER

Re: Warning: Nissan EVSE Charger Handle Issue Disables Vehic

Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 am

The issue is related to some handles and the internal mold, it usually happens when the end clasp is hit or swings into something and the defect is from Yasaki molding in the handle (not the clasp) and not a Panasonic made part. As far as I know it was corrected some time ago.

smnewport
Forum Supporter

Sat May 02, 2015 8:37 am

Last month I was at a local dealer trying to charge up. The first station was occupied so I drove around to the opposite side to use the other charger. I plugged in, but quickly noticed that the car was not charging. I removed and replugged the charger back in. Nothing. Then checked the EVSE panel and it said that it was in Ready mode but charging was not happening. Upon careful reexamination, I noticed that the latch lock on the charging handle had snapped off, and the actual charging interface (the male part) that gets inserted into the charging port had partly come off of the handle on one side.

I eventually gave up and replaced the handle back into the EVSE, then got into my car to go to the next dealer a few miles down. When I started up the car, all the warning lights came on, and I found that I was unable to shift into any gears except N. After a few ^@#$$^@, I went into the dealer to notify them that their charging station had somehow bricked my car. The very first question they asked was "did you buy the car here?". Rubbing more salt on the wound, their next question was "were you already down to zero when you tried to charge?" After two quick no's, someone walked back out with me to the car. He mentioned that they already knew the charger was broken(but never bothered shutting it off so people wouldn't brick their cars trying to charge with it). When he got in, he fiddled with a few things, then after a few minutes got the car back to normal. He had said that placing the fob close to the start button would reset the car, but I wondered whether having turned off the car for a minutes before restarting it was all that was needed.

Anyhow, I quickly drove off as the dealer was giving me an extremely bad vibe. Will never again go there. I called Nissan to report this experience. All they said was that dealer charging is not guaranteed as each dealer is a franchise, and that they would "look into" the repair status of the charger. I am glad that I did not buy the car there in the first place as this scumbag place is the last place I want to support.

vwDavid
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2015

Sat May 02, 2015 9:32 am

Makes you appreciate tesla's non-dealership model more and more....

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sat May 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Actually, probably not. As soon as you try to press the lever on the 1772 handle, the switch inside shuts down the EVSE and there is then no power at the handle... I suspect it would still have worked as such in your scenario...

minispeed wrote:[IF THIS WAS LIVE SYSTEM YOU COULD EASILY KILL YOUSELF TRYING TO DO THIS.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2017 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Warning: Nissan EVSE Charger Handle Issue Disables Vehicle

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm a victim of this new. I just bought a used '13 Leaf SV but I didn't check the operation of the L1 120 volt EVSE. :oops: I plugged it in and got beep-beep-beep beep-beep-beep beep-beep-beep and so on (accompanied by all 3 blue lights flashing in unison). Car wouldn't charge nor could I release the J1772 handle. Ugh!

Sure enough, the trigger was always partly depressed, breaking the proximity connection. But I couldn't press it any further to move the latch far enough so I could remove the handle. If I push upwards on the trigger (moving the latch downwards), the car can charge... but only if held that way. Release it and the car stops charging.

I ended up having to use a small screwdriver to push the plastic latch up to free the handle. Grrrr... I will have to take it to to the dealer. At least it's covered by the 5 year/60K mile warranty.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

society
Delivery Date: 08 Apr 2013

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:19 am

This happened to me this weekend. I read through this string and one other and noticed someone had said the Nissan tech was able to pull the handle out in a few seconds. Light bulb went off. OK, so there is a solution.

Solution 1:
Go into your car and check that the button "lock" handle has not been accidentally depressed. Mine is right next to the button I press to open the charger hatch. This ultimately became my problem. My other fingers must have hit it by accident, and I didnt know I locked the handle in. Frankly I didnt even know that button existed. Good at parking lots! haha.

Solution 2:
If you didnt press the lock button, theres's still hope of releasing it. The first thing I did was unplug the charging unit from the wall. Then if you go back to the handle and peer into where it plugs into the car, you'll notice a white tab or bar at about twelve o'clock (just above the circular portion of the inserted handle). This white bar is what locks that handle into the car. It slides left. So I used a small piece of wood (nothing metal to be safe) and was able to slide that white bar to the left and was able to then pull the handle free.

Hope this helps some other confused people!

v103
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2016

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 am

Just happen to me this morning 2013 sv. Call local dealer and waiting for them to call me back on a solution. Try the second solution but couldn't push the white plastic left. Handle stuck.

lkkms2
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 302025

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 am

v103 wrote:Just happen to me this morning 2013 sv. Call local dealer and waiting for them to call me back on a solution. Try the second solution but couldn't push the white plastic left. Handle stuck.

Jiggle or reposition the handle while trying to slide the white plastic?

Assume you already check/pressed the lock/unlock Button mentioned in the earlier post.
2011 Leaf SL purchased 6-22-2011, sold 1-18-2017 with new battery.
2017 Leaf SV with Premium Package purchased 12-30-2016

werty19
Delivery Date: 14 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 020667

Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm

My 2012 is doing this where the button is half way depressed. Is this actually covered under the 5yr 60k mile warrenty?

FalconFour
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 14 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 008681

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:00 pm

The latch on these handles is metal.

If you drop it on its "nose" (as it's very easy to do, don't deny it ;) ), it'll land on that metal, deforming it. While it still appears "normal" at a basic glance, when you plug it into the car you'll be in for a nasty surprise.

That's what gets it "stuck" in the car. Because the latch is now bent, the full range of button motion isn't enough to unlatch it. This is also why the car gives the "beep-beep-beep" - which means solely one thing: the release button is being held down, and the car is saying "let go of the button, dummy". If you ever see your Leaf flashing the 3 lights and beeping, it means only a problem with the handle latch - nothing more, nothing less.

So, to fix this, you just have to reform the latch. When it's plugged/latched into the car, you have to use some tool to lift-up on the button of the release latch, so it bends back into shape. The latch on the car end will act as the other leverage point that you bend against. The "lock hole" in the button should eventually be exposed when you're no longer bending it. It might take a little effort to bend it back into shape, but then -- provided your Leaf also doesn't have the lock into the "auto/on" mode (turn it off! to the middle position) -- it should just unlatch and remove normally.

Provided the latch is bent back to its original form, the Leaf ought to charge normally. 8-)
100% gas-free since September 2012
2011 LEAF SL - Sep 2012~Sep 2014 - 35,737 miles
2013 LEAF S+Charge - Jan 2014-Feb 2017 - 68,065 miles
2014 LEAF SV+Premium+QC - Feb 2017-present

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”