LeftieBiker
Posts: 7402
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:10 pm

So this is a 2014? If you leave it sitting at 100% charge for hours regularly, this is to be expected. If not, then it's a little early, but not amazingly so.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

maini
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm
Delivery Date: 25 May 2014
Leaf Number: 339745
Location: NorCal Bay Area

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:59 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:So this is a 2014? If you leave it sitting at 100% charge for hours regularly, this is to be expected. If not, then it's a little early, but not amazingly so.


Never was the car left at 100% for over a few hours. 8AM it starts getting used and usually it is changed by 4-5AM. Really these batteries are that sensitive to charging and sitting at 100%?? BTW this is not everyday, if we have enough charge we DO NOT charge the car. But it goes on its trip to work nd gets charged to usually 100% there and within a few hours again it heads back home which easily consumes 20%. I can't believe if we leave this car at 100% for a few hours 3-4 max it can affect the battery so much!!
2014 SV Cayenne Red with LED and QC port

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7402
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:19 pm

It seems to depend on how hot the pack is as well. Mine is sitting out there at about 99%, and I won't be driving it until tomorrow evening. But it's cold here, and cold packs seem to tolerate sitting around fully charged much better than hot ones. So unless you're leaving it fully charged for several hours and also at more than 5 temp bars, I wouldn't expect that to be the main reason for the SOH.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7269
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:31 pm

maini wrote:This is what the free version of Leaf Spy showing
May 25th 2014 delivery
32,254 miles (probably happened into last 100 odd miles.
AHr= 56.02
SOH= 85%
Hx= 83.36%
383.72V -.083A
8 QCs
1549 L1/L2 - So about 800 Charges (timer use) : Mainly using 240V 12A, 16A or 27A
...
I am not very clear with all the above Leaf Spy battery specific terms and still trying to learn them.
Do these look normal?? Based on all the reading on the forums, It seems a bit early to me.

There is help built into the app, at least the pro version. And, for the pro version, it has directions on how to mail the author for a PDF of the same help.

You saw my earlier post about when I lost my 1st bar on my 5/2013 built '13. After some fuller charges and deeper discharges, my SOH and Hx values have risen to be like yours and I'm still down a bar.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

warrenc
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2017
Leaf Number: 418438
Location: Tacoma,WA

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Just thought I'd add my stats in here for whatever purpose it might serve. My 2013 SV was built 8/13 and went into service 10/13. Obviously a lease in San Jose, CA, I purchased it here in Olympia, WA with 84 SOH at 32K miles in May of this year. I drive about 17 miles a day round trip to work, charging every third day if I charge to 100% on timer or 2 days at 80%, all L2 charging. I seem to have lost a lot of range in the last month since it's gotten colder and wetter around here, but still possible to get 2 days out of the 80% charge. The GOM tells me I have about 55 miles at 80%, which is extremely optimistic at this point. We drive it whenever we can on weekends, almost always short hops of 10 miles or less.
As of last week, it had 35,607 on the odometer, 82.38% SOH, 76.05 Hx and 53.876 AHr.
Still works great for me, but I do wonder what I will do in a couple years if the battery degradation becomes an issue. I do find myself stressing over the range at times, even though I can easily go 2 days without charging. The thought of taking it on a trip more than 25 miles from home seems almost reckless!
On the other hand, we have gone from spending about $150 a month on gas to about $40 or less.
2013 Leaf SV
Tacoma, WA

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7402
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Two suggestions: use the more accurate range estimator that is activated by the blue button on the steering wheel (use the lower number on the Nav screen), and when you know you will use the car right after charging, especially in mild weather, charge to the full 100%. Wait until the charge lights all go out, because your pack may be in need of equalization.

I think that range loss becomes more noticeable as the SOH nears 85%. I think mine is about 86%, and I really notice having less range than last Winter..
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12336
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:45 am

maini wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:So this is a 2014? If you leave it sitting at 100% charge for hours regularly, this is to be expected. If not, then it's a little early, but not amazingly so.


Never was the car left at 100% for over a few hours. 8AM it starts getting used and usually it is changed by 4-5AM. Really these batteries are that sensitive to charging and sitting at 100%?? BTW this is not everyday, if we have enough charge we DO NOT charge the car. But it goes on its trip to work nd gets charged to usually 100% there and within a few hours again it heads back home which easily consumes 20%. I can't believe if we leave this car at 100% for a few hours 3-4 max it can affect the battery so much!!


So you charge to 100% sometimes twice a day with one being during the day?

What SOC are you at when you get home on a day you charged to 100% at work?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoshnasi
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2017
Location: Cerritos, California
Contact: Facebook YouTube

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi All,

I thought I would check in as I hopefully round the bases soon on my fourth bar.

02/13 delivery. I contacted Nissan, my warranty is good to July 18'

odo: 34,869
AHr= 43.14
SOH= 65%
Hx= 59.58%
381.81VV

I know the 11 & 12s dropped the fourth bar at an earlier AHr than the 13s. What is the general consensus when it should drop?

Thanks!
2013 SL, 06/2013 service date: AHr 43.27, SOH 66%, 9 bars

maini
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm
Delivery Date: 25 May 2014
Leaf Number: 339745
Location: NorCal Bay Area

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
maini wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:So this is a 2014? If you leave it sitting at 100% charge for hours regularly, this is to be expected. If not, then it's a little early, but not amazingly so.


Never was the car left at 100% for over a few hours. 8AM it starts getting used and usually it is changed by 4-5AM. Really these batteries are that sensitive to charging and sitting at 100%?? BTW this is not everyday, if we have enough charge we DO NOT charge the car. But it goes on its trip to work nd gets charged to usually 100% there and within a few hours again it heads back home which easily consumes 20%. I can't believe if we leave this car at 100% for a few hours 3-4 max it can affect the battery so much!!


So you charge to 100% sometimes twice a day with one being during the day?

What SOC are you at when you get home on a day you charged to 100% at work?


No we don't.
If it charged at work it reaches home at about 75% and we DO NOT charge the car. It goes to work again and charges there for free. Sometimes if we miss changing at work we charge at home. Also as long as we have about 40+ miles on the car we again go to work and charge as that takes it to about 30 off miles remaining.
2014 SV Cayenne Red with LED and QC port

cwerdna
Gold Member
Posts: 7269
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Hoshnasi wrote:02/13 delivery. I contacted Nissan, my warranty is good to July 18'

I'm confused by this. Is 2/13 the build month or the 1st original in-service date? If it's the latter, you don't have until July 2018. You have 5 years or 60K miles from OIS date, whichever comes first.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”