Reduction Gear Oil

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephanAZ

My 2012 Leaf has about 35,000 miles on it. Twice when I have had it in for maintenance, at 15,000 and 30,000 miles, the dealer has told me the reduction gear oil was bad and needed to be replaced. I have searched for this online and have not found that anyone else has had this issue. Is this a known problem? Is it even remotely possible that they are telling me the truth? Or am I being fleeced?

If it doesn't call for it in the service schedule, it doesn't get done.

Unless there is visible evidence that there is a problem.

Here is what the dealer saw- $$$$$$$$. That is a good indication it is bad.

Hmm...I didn't type the bolded line.

The maintenance schedule indicates the reduction gear oil should be checked, which leaves it open for interpretation. The dealer has told me twice that it needed to be replaced, and I don't have the expertise to argue with them. I am looking for an answer that has more actual information, not just a gut feeling or reaction.

Normally it is 120,000 miles before a change, if I remember correctly... I'd question WHY they think it should be changed prematurely...

StephanAZ said:
My 2012 Leaf has about 35,000 miles on it. Twice when I have had it in for maintenance, at 15,000 and 30,000 miles, the dealer has told me the reduction gear oil was bad and needed to be replaced. I have searched for this online and have not found that anyone else has had this issue. Is this a known problem? Is it even remotely possible that they are telling me the truth? Or am I being fleeced?

mwalsh said:
Is it excessively dirty? Does it smell burned? Are there bits of metal floating around in it? These are the only circumstances where I'd agree to have it changed without a bunch more convincing.

I can only go on what the dealer told me, but they said it was dirty. It doesn't sound to me like this is a common problem or that there is a reason it should be dirty. That's the information I am looking for.

The only way that oil can get dirty is if there's a lot of premature wear going on, which means failure is imminent.

If it happens again, ask them to bring you a sample of the oil. The reduction gear oil is literally automatic transmission fluid and should be a clear red color and fairly low viscosity. I'm assuming you can tell the difference between used ATF and used engine oil...

If they bring you a black smudge on a paper towel that smells of engine oil, tell them where they can stick it!
=Smidge=

Sounds like the electrons are leaking from the motor and ionizing the oil. Could be a bad electron seal. I would have the dealer check it, that should be covered under the warranty.

StephanAZ said:
mwalsh said:
Is it excessively dirty? Does it smell burned? Are there bits of metal floating around in it? These are the only circumstances where I'd agree to have it changed without a bunch more convincing.

I can only go on what the dealer told me, but they said it was dirty. It doesn't sound to me like this is a common problem or that there is a reason it should be dirty. That's the information I am looking for.

Not sure how much they can tell from the inpection; usually it's just sticking in a finger to see that the level is up. That being said, I have had a transmission/differential where I checked at 5,000 miles and the lube was VERY silvery and I replaced it long before the maintenance interval, which was 30,000 miles iirc. Now, did it make any difference? I don't know. Probably had no practical effect. There's probably a certain amount of wear metals to be expected during the first few thousand miles. Eventually those particles become captured by the magnetic drain plug.

Changing it once prophylactically might have some logic if you're the type that wants to know that the lube is PRISTINE and free from those initial-wear metals. But I call BS on a second time. If something is wrong a second time then the unit has a mechanical fault that should have been investigated. The dealership is probably one of those who are disgruntled at the low rate of maintenance and repairs for the LEAF and looking for some extra play.

Take your Leaf to a different dealer and see what they say. Check regional forums and post in the appropriate one to find out what dealers in your area are considered to be honest/reliable (assuming there are any).

if they use the same manufacturer as Mitsubishi' there might be something going on. Read on iMiev forum that gear oil had to be changed a less than 10k miles... but never heard of this issue on this LEAF forum until now.

Smidge204 said:
The only way that oil can get dirty is if there's a lot of premature wear going on, which means failure is imminent.

If it happens again, ask them to bring you a sample of the oil. The reduction gear oil is literally automatic transmission fluid and should be a clear red color and fairly low viscosity. I'm assuming you can tell the difference between used ATF and used engine oil...

If they bring you a black smudge on a paper towel that smells of engine oil, tell them where they can stick it!
=Smidge=
Don't forget the possibility of moisture contamination, fluid would turn milky. Doubt this would happen unless using it as a Jeep to ford across streams.

From what I can find to check for any type of contamination means pulling the drain plug, so basically changed the fluid in the process. At that point it's water over the dam.

The shop manual does not appear to mention any analysis of the condition of the lubricant. Inpection consists of removing the filler plug to check the fill level. If there is any metals adhered to the magnetic fill plug, the technician is advised to clean them off. The fill plug is then reinstalled with a new washer. Similarly for lube replacement, any wear metals on the magnetic drain plug are cleaned off; the plug is reinstalled with a new washer and the unit re-filled. At no point are any special actions taken based on the "condition" of the lubricant. There is always going to be some metals (powder) on the magnetic plugs. That's why they are magnetic. If you see big chunks then you've got a a mechanical problem but changing the lube doesn't fix that.

StephanAZ said:

Hey StephanAZ: Bend over; that dealer is trying to give you the shaft.
Seriously---I would never go back to that dealer. He's just trying to separate you from your hard-earned money. :roll:

This sounds a lot like the dealer that said I should get the coolant fluid flushed. The manual says (for coolant fluid) 125k miles or 15 years, not after 3 years. They are full of crap. Try another dealership.

Back