Lock/Unlock switches have no backlight

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBike

Our 2014 Leaf S does not light up the Lock/Unlock switches when headlights are on. This is a real pain for passengers unfamiliar with the car and needing to let themselves out.

Could find nothing in the manuals about these lights, and the dealer reps have also been clueless. So far, the other Leafers in my area have SL or SV models, so I have not been able to trace this issue to the S model.

If other 2014 S owners will tell me whether their Lock/Unlock switches are backlit at night, then I can either pursue a fix or just live with it.

You asking about the power door lock/unlock switches on the armrests or the "lock knobs" (as the manual calls them) above the inside door handles?

I know what OP is talking about, it's remarkable how such a minor detail can be so annoying. AFAIK the trim level has nothing to do with it, same part on all, for some reason they didn't bother to make the light shine through the power door lock button.

I seem to recall someone posted a mod of adding their own backlight. I've gotten used to the poor design, but passengers have not... It's a protracted misfire.

JimSouCal said:
... I've gotten used to the poor design, but passengers have not... It's a protracted misfire.
As a driver of a 2009 Altima that has the backlight, it is one of several gross deficiencies of the LEAF.
What were the engineers thinking :?: :?: :? :?
This from the perspective of a Mechanical Professional Engineer :roll: :?: :?

TimLee said:
JimSouCal said:
... I've gotten used to the poor design, but passengers have not... It's a protracted misfire.
As a driver of a 2009 Altima that has the backlight, it is one of several gross deficiencies of the LEAF.
I think the issue is the Leaf was a money loser for the longest time, so they gotta cut costs somewhere. From statements from Ghosn, it looks like it's on its way to probability now.

The Altima sells an order of magnitude more vehicles (http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-group-reports-october-2014-u-s-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) in the US so I'd imagine it reached profitability WAY earlier. It also helped that the generation that spanned '07 to '12 model years didn't change all that much...

If this is an issue, I suggest the OP reach up and push the interior light switch button.

My '13 Leaf SV also has no lit lock knobs nor power door lock switches.

edit: Fixed comment after making some incorrect comments from having to drive my Prius for the last weeks. Also added more info.

TimLee said:
JimSouCal said:
Well, calling it a 'gross deficiency' is a little bit much, no? As with many items in the "What do you hate most?" thread, yes, they are PITAs, but they are also "FWP"s, (LOL)!

cwerdna said:
If this is an issue, I suggest the OP reach up and move the interior light switch over to ON, for the unfamiliar passengers.
While I agree that this is an annoying oversight, for passengers I just use my driver-side button since it unlocks all doors. After years of using it I can find it easily in the dark.

Just discovered this the other night in my '13 SV. Cussed, then taught my fingers the location. Another thing that would have been caught and rectified if Nissan had put out a few prototypes prior to release. Glad I'm not the only one to notice this.

Thanks, folks.

At least I can count on this forum for a response. The dealer pretended not to hear me or receive emails. Now that I have learned to "Braille" my way to the button, I can unlock in the dark so my wife can get out. She has always had a hard timer finding the button, even in daylight.

As for using the interior light, it's a joke. The door panel, except for the few buttons that ARE backlit, remains all black and it's nearly impossible to find the buttons by eye.

I don't remember where I found the info, probably in this forum:

I reprogrammed the Leaf so it doesn't automatically lock the doors. That's much handier for me, and we don't live in an area where I feel uncomfortable with the doors unlocked; I can always push the "Lock" button if need be.

My VW has a well-thought-out mechanical setup in the doors: Pull the inside door handle, and the door unlocks. It will automatically re-lock upon hitting 10-15 Mph. The rear doors require 2 pulls of the handle to release the lock and open the door. Of course, the rear doors also have the little mechanical switch to prevent the inside handle from opening the doors at all, used if you have young children.

jdunmyer said:
My VW has a well-thought-out mechanical setup in the doors: Pull the inside door handle, and the door unlocks. It will automatically re-lock upon hitting 10-15 Mph. The rear doors require 2 pulls of the handle to release the lock and open the door. Of course, the rear doors also have the little mechanical switch to prevent the inside handle from opening the doors at all, used if you have young children.

The MINI can be programmed for this too - 2 pulls to unlock and open (on the front doors even, for the original MINI hatch where there are only front doors). It's something that the dealer asks you if you want programmed when you buy the car. Maybe it's a German thing?

I have the car programmed to unlock when put into Park. Don't know if that is the default or if I had to program it with LeafSpy Pro. Either way I just hit the park button after I stop - the doors unlock - put it back into drive - they lock again. Don't have to fumble around trying to find the door handle.

It's so annoying fiddling with controls in the dark. I stuck a nicely cut Velcro on top of the button so I can just place my fingers and FEEL the switch to open the doors. Works like a charm. Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Discovered the same in my Leaf 2015 (SV). My friend's Leaf (SL) has the same issue. Decided to add the small LEDs myself and made a video of this process https://youtu.be/JOzB6senYQM

Hope this will be helpful to someone who decides to add the small LEDs themselves. Be very careful in this process. Good luck!

evggarage said:
Hi all,

Discovered the same in my Leaf 2015 (SV). My friend's Leaf (SL) has the same issue. Decided to add the small LEDs myself and made a video of this process

Hope this will be helpful to someone who decides to add the small LEDs themselves. Be very careful in this process. Good luck!

Nice result!

I used an Altima switch I bought off ebay as shown in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24594&hilit=altima
It works perfectly and is easy/peasy to install. Just pop the old switch out, unplug the connectors, plug the connectors into the new switch and pop it in. It took me about 5-10 minutes the first time since I was being very careful not to scratch anything. I think I could do another one in 60 seconds without trouble now.

If you go this route, the easy way to remove the old switch out is to put a blunt lever between the switch and the door panel next to the interior of the car. I used a plastic ruler and slipped it between the switch and panel and then just levered the switch out. It's much easier to get leverage on it here than trying to wedge something between the very tight spaces on the other sides. The plastic tabs that hold the switch in place release easily and the switch just pops out after that.

evggarage said:
Hi all,

Discovered the same in my Leaf 2015 (SV). My friend's Leaf (SL) has the same issue. Decided to add the small LEDs myself and made a video of this process

Nice job. I'm not good enough at soldering to get those SMDs down on the board without buggering it up, particularity the LED. What physical size is the resistor being used there?

Back