Limited Power - Motor power is being limited (Error with full charge)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkAugie

Service Required, Please consult your dealer.
I called and they told me to plug it in and charge it.... so I did. But it had just charged all night and already has a full charge.
Yes, it only seems to go 20 miles an hour max. So it is being limited.

I searched the forums, and someone said maybe it's related to the 12 volt battery? Or engine coolant?

Thought I would make a new post, since my error is 100 percent from power on.

Power will be limited if the traction battery is too hot. Also, if the battery is malfunctioning, bad cell, etc. You should have warning lights on the dash. What are they?

Get leaf spy pro, android or ios device, and a Bluetooth or wifi adapter and post the DTC's here. I can tell you what's wrong with it after I get those codes.

It's been at the dealership.

I'll get Leaf Spy Pro if they still have not figured it out by Friday. So, does Leaf Spy Pro show more detail than the dealerships equipment?

Just an fyi, I've taken it to two dealerships now, and it's my understanding not even Nissan has seen this issue before.

Sure glad I got the extended warranty after all!

Here is a snip of the console with errors.
p59Ap4x.png

Interesting. Turtle and EV error lights, full charge, limited power and regen…Something is seriously wrong with the traction battery or the connections inside it.

LeafSpy does not read more information than the equipment the dealer uses.

MarkAugie said:
Here is a snip of the console with errors.
p59Ap4x.png

Thanks for the help guys,
Hey,
Regarding leaf spy pro. Will I be able to reset the DTC codes? Meaning, clear them so my car is no longer in tortoise mode?

The dealership has not fixed it, but want's me to drive it until the car fails again.

Since I am sure it will go into tortoise mode again once I charge it, I would like to clear the error so I can drive it at full speed.

In other words, the deanship(s) fixed the problem (ok, well not fixed but can bring it out of tortoise mode) by clearing the errors.
BTW - I think the errors had to do with spikes and temps. At least from the first dealership.

Can I do the same with Leaf Spy Pro? Since driving 30 miles to the dealership at 20-30-mph would be a nightmare.

LeafSpy Pro will show the DTCs and allow you to clear them. Be sure to take a screen shot of them before you clear them. If you post the DTCs here, someone will tell you what they indicate.

The battery temperature in your photo is not high enough to trigger turtle mode. The battery temperature doesn't change rapidly due its large mass. However, back to back Quick Charges will heat it up pretty good.

I'll ask for them. I pickup the car tomorrow.
They could not replicate the issue a third time.
I had the issue at home and after charging at my work, back to back, so I am surprised it stopped failing for them.

Would help if you listed the L2 chargers you referenced. The only time I've seen anything that weird was with a bad EVSE. The fact that it cleared when the dealer charged it should tell you something (you've got a funky charger somewhere).

First Dealer:
Cust states vehicle will not gover 20 ck and advice
Scanned for faults stored in system P3180 HV Battery Sys and P33ED Battery Parallel diag
Cleared Codes and Test drove vehicle is running fine at this Spike in electrical charge caused vehicle to go into limp home mode vehicle is ok at his time.

I drove to work, charged at lunch and Leaf was back in tortoise mode.

2nd Dealer:
Cust states that the vehicle is showing in limp mode Code P3180 and P33ED Inspect and report.
Inspected and found same codes showing, Nissan said to clear and see if they come back, test drove vehicle and never came back ran good all the time owner to drive and monitor operation report back.

MarkAugie said:
First Dealer:
Cust states vehicle will not gover 20 ck and advice
Scanned for faults stored in system P3180 HV Battery Sys and P33ED Battery Parallel diag
Cleared Codes and Test drove vehicle is running fine at this Spike in electrical charge caused vehicle to go into limp home mode vehicle is ok at his time.

I drove to work, charged at lunch and Leaf was back in tortoise mode.

2nd Dealer:
Cust states that the vehicle is showing in limp mode Code P3180 and P33ED Inspect and report.
Inspected and found same codes showing, Nissan said to clear and see if they come back, test drove vehicle and never came back ran good all the time owner to drive and monitor operation report back.
I know yours is an 11, but in the 13 manual ; P3180 EVC HV Bat sys, VCM detects an error signal that is received from LBC via can communication for 0.02 seconds or more; possible cause-Lithium Bat system. And P33ED EVB Parallel diag, when a sudden voltage fluctuation is detected in a module; possible cause- module. I would check leaf spy and see what voltage readings at the cell pair level are between low charge and and 100%. Maybe run it down to below 10% to get CVLI test. Just a thought...

Thanks, I'll do that.
I had purchased a KW902 a month ago to try Leaf Spy. The reason being my batteries were acting goofy. In the past, during warm weather I could drive to work and back home without charging. Now, depending on my route, I might not even make it into work.
Although my bars all seem correct on the console.

I'll post back my findings. Thanx.

So I have two errors both from using Blink quick chargers. The first was the turle error and said limited power was able to drive freeways speeds without issues. The second occured Wednesday night and again with a Blink quick charger that went to 80% and then to 98% on a second quick charge session. This time it was the EV system warning light no turtle. Was able to still drive freeway speeds but once I got to second quick charger on the way home from Petaluma it would not charge from a eVgo NRG quick charge station. The normal looking one found at Nissan dealerships and gave me a list of 5 different codes on screen. It was late and I didn't have time to take a picture or write down the codes. After the turle error from the prior Blink charger in Santa Clara I used another EVgo NRG charger that had the dual ports chargers and it charge without issue. A similar charger was in place in Vacaville and I hooked it up hoping it would work this time as well. It did not issues charged up to 80% and I drove the rest of the way home. Making it with 9 miles left.

The problem was that the car wouldnt charge with the 120v trickle charger when I got home and error was still on screen. I disconnected the 12v battery hoping to reset the system. DId this 3 times no difference. Started and drove the car around the block hoping it would clear still no issue and still unable to charge with trickle.

THe next morning after calling Nissan and local dealer I was going to head to nearest quick charger because I didnt think I would be able to make it to the dealer. Qucik charge station also has access to 240/120v chargers non wokred except the Greenlots quick charger by SMUD. It also cleared the error once I started the car with an 80% charge. Never went into the dealership and trickle worked fine to charge to 100% once home.

So far so good after a day but has anyone else had this happen? My understanding is that the 12v battery disconnect should have worked per notes on the forum and other sites or simply restarting the car. Love the car and no issues driving after errors but was worried once trickle charger wouldnt charge car once I got home. Glad quick charger was able to work it out although the second quick charge didn't.

I am off grid right now. Will post back.before leaving a week ago my leaf got stuck in tortis mode again. Have not had opportunity to take it in.I have used different charger brands with same error. Yeah like my leaf but can't keep putting up with this. Not sure why dealerships can't figure it out.

@co2112
Thanks for the post. I may and try a quick charge station the next time I get the error. Would be interesting to see if it clears the error.

This time, instead of having to crawl to a dealer again to clear the code. I cleared it myself. Attached are the errors.

So, any recommendations on what other Leaf owners would do? I can now record the errors for the dealers... save up a bunch and them?

The dealership seems reluctant to replace parts, and Nissan corporate says they have no idea... so taking it back to a dealership doesn't seem to be helping.
I guess I've never had a car where no one knows how to fix it. I am just thankful for leaf spy pro and the 'clear' feature.

I doubt may people would be putting up with this... seems a little silly to have to worry about clearing the codes after every charge.

xSupaqF.png

@ElectricEddy
I know yours is an 11, but in the 13 manual ; P3180 EVC HV Bat sys, VCM detects an error signal that is received from LBC via can communication for 0.02 seconds or more; possible cause-Lithium Bat system. And P33ED EVB Parallel diag, when a sudden voltage fluctuation is detected in a module; possible cause- module. I would check Leaf Spy and see what voltage readings at the cell pair level are between low charge and and 100%. Maybe run it down to below 10% to get CVLI test. Just a thought...

I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks again. I am still learning Leaf Spy, but I think I can figure it out.

I'm not sure why you are so reluctant to take the Leaf back to one of the dealers. Sure, they were lazy the first time, and simply reset the error codes, hoping they won't come back, but if you have documentation showing this is a constant issue, every time you charge, they will have to diagnose it properly. The manual has very explicit instructions on how to diagnose the P33ED error, and you have to insist that they run through it.
Check to see if there is a cell voltage which largely differ from the others.
As electriceddy suggested, there is most likely a malfunction inside one of the battery cells, and the manuals instructions are to find the bad cell and replace it. LeafSpy may help you find the defective cell, but they will still need to verify if with their Consult device.
< DTC/CIRCUIT DIAGNOSIS > [TYPE 1]
1. Select “DATA MONITOR” or “FFD”.
2. Check to see if there is a cell voltage which largely differ from the others.
Is there any abnormal cell?
YES >> Replace corresponding Module. Refer to EVB-152, "Exploded View".
NO >> GO TO 2.
2.DTC CONFIRMATION PROCEDURE OPERATION
1. If abnormal cell is not identified, perform DTC confirmation procedure. Refer to EVB-136, "DTC Logic".
2. Check cell voltage again using “DATA MONITOR” or “FFD” to identify malfunctioning cell.
>> Replace corresponding Module. Refer to EVB-159, "Exploded view".

@keydriver
thanx, I did take it in this AM. There were so many error codes LeafSpy could not delete them all... in fact, it acted like it was unable to read them all.
The bad cell issue would explain a lot. Thanx for the feedback.

They called in evening saying they are still checking.

rRBkIy4.png

yeqoIT9.png

Back