Scaramanga
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 308884

Re: Rusting bolt on front suspension strut - potential safety issue

Sat May 13, 2017 5:04 am

I ordered two pair, one for each LEAF and some waterproof grease from Tasca Parts in Rhode Island last night, $39 including shipping. Don't know if I'm going to plug the air holes yet, I might.
2016 SL Premium - Gunmetal Grey, built 2/2016
2014 S w/ QC - Cayenne Red, built 1/2014
EVSE: ChargePoint 25 32A Plug-In w/ 18' Cord
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
'06 Sentra Compact Spare / Jack
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD
VW / Audi / Volvo ex-aficionado

joeriv

Sat May 13, 2017 6:43 am

If you don't plug the air holes, water will get in. I plugged them and it stays completely dry. What I also did was to smear the lip of the dust cap with grease so that it seals the cap from any water intrusion.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

Scaramanga

Wed May 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I capped both of mine on my '16 SL just now, only the passenger side was rusty.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytm0v6bskajij ... 5.jpg?dl=0

Waterproof grease and the stock '11/'12 part from Nissan previously mentioned did the trick. I was surprised how small the strut tops were, but the little screened access doors made it easy.

I haven't checked the '14 S yet but will this weekend.
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD

Eyeresearch

Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Just a suggestion here but could a small, 1/8th inch weep hole take of the problem being carefully drilled on the lowest point of the "cup" area? I see them all the time on aircraft where you don't want water collecting and causing problems. And for the internal wrenching "alan" bolt hole, either paint it after you put a dab of corrosion converter on it or just gob of grease. Done. The universe is safe, continue on as normal.

Scaramanga

Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 pm

Eyeresearch wrote:Just a suggestion here but could a small, 1/8th inch weep hole take of the problem being carefully drilled on the lowest point of the "cup" area? I see them all the time on aircraft where you don't want water collecting and causing problems.

I thought of that, but didn't want to drill a hole in the rubber mount not really knowing what exactly was beneath it. Don't think it'd hurt though, thanks for the idea.
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD

Eyeresearch

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Here is a product we used in the military, (USCG) for combatting corrosion on aircraft in areas that were prone to set up a corrosion cell and cause nasty little problems that turn into big ones. It's called CorrosionX-Heavy-Duty, it's a corrosion inhibitor, a dripless aerosol, dries to a thin film. Maybe the engineers at NISSAN could use a little on the assembly line and it does not interfere with future maintenance. If you are worried about over spray just make a little tin foil collar around the top strut assembly and leave a hole big enough to cover the desired area. Great stuff, might find other uses around the house were you need a corrosion inhibitor, this is NOT an oil.

http://www.shop.corrosionx.com/Corrosio ... -90104.htm

Remember, Corrosion never sleeps.

Scaramanga

Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:03 am

Eyeresearch wrote:
Remember, Corrosion never sleeps.

LOL Awesome. I'll check this stuff out.

I greased up my strut tops with a clear silicone waterproof grease that's meant to be used in faucets, but I expect it'll do the trick for my
purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/Danco-88693-Sili ... oof+grease

I bought four of the stock Nissan strut caps, cleaned the scale and dirt of each nut & threads, and greased each one with a Q-tip and a generous heap of the grease I mentioned above, then capped it off. I expect I'll never have to touch them but I did set myself a reminder to look at them again in the spring to see if I've collected any water through the evaporation hole in the cap. Some other guys have plugged them but I didn't. We'll see.
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD

Eyeresearch

Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:04 am

Gonna have to wave the yellow caution flag on the silicone grease route, remember it is specifically designed to be a long term lubricant for rubber to metal surfaces and I would be hesitant to expect it to provide reliable corrosion inhibitor qualities. I worked Corrosion Control for several years (yes, it was quite an active foe and we had a team in the hanger to go after it with vengeance) on the old amphibious rotary wing aircraft and fixed wing and silicone grease was not in our arsenal against corrosion.

It stays pretty damp where you are at in Washington for months at a time, am I correct, and moisture is the start to the chemical process in a corrosion cell.

gshepherd
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 am

I'll second the Corrosion-X product. I keep a bottle in my hangar and just brought it home to use on the LEAF. I had the LEAF up on ramps while with the forward aero cover removed while installing DRLs and was unimpressed at the amount of rust already formed on various fittings and joints.

The folks that make Corrosion-X also have a paint protection product called RejeX. Applies like a synthetic wax, and a little goes a long way. Adds a nice shine and bugs practically wipe off. When the bugs start sticking again, I know it's time for a new application.
2016 LEAF SV

Scaramanga

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:31 pm

Eyeresearch wrote:Gonna have to wave the yellow caution flag on the silicone grease route, remember it is specifically designed to be a long term lubricant for rubber to metal surfaces and I would be hesitant to expect it to provide reliable corrosion inhibitor qualities. I worked Corrosion Control for several years (yes, it was quite an active foe and we had a team in the hanger to go after it with vengeance) on the old amphibious rotary wing aircraft and fixed wing and silicone grease was not in our arsenal against corrosion.

It stays pretty damp where you are at in Washington for months at a time, am I correct, and moisture is the start to the chemical process in a corrosion cell.

Good call, I'll definitely take your word for it and clean out what I've done here and have a look at what you're recommending. If you can keep helicopters from falling out of the air, it's certainly good enough advice for my strut towers.
ELM 327 / LeafSpy Pro
Renault Tow Hook

2016 Murano SL AWD

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”