estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017

Re: Rusting bolt on front suspension strut - potential safety issue

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm

i'll throw my 2 cents in. yesterday i looked and my drivers side had water in it and a bit of corrosion. my solution was to glue a 4.5" diameter plastic plate over the top with RTV to keep water out of any area of the shock tower. this mounts at an angle so the water just runs off into the rain drain that is around the shock tower anyway.

i had a sheet of about 1/16 plastic sitting around which is stiff enough to hold shape on it's own and i used metal shears to cut a 4.5" disc for driver and passenger side. i first sprayed the nut/stud down with some rustoleum paint to keep existing corrossion at bay.

should keep water out of the whole area as long as it doesn't pop off on it's own.
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH, 2/17
32k, 96% SoH, 6/17
37k, 92% SoH, 9/17

rodenti
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 310458

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:17 pm

I just bought a 2017 Leaf and rusting of these bolts would definitely be something I want to prevent.

It looks like the common solution is to cover it with grease and a plastic cover, but as an alternative does anyone think spraying the area with Plastidip or Flexidip rubberized coating would work instead?

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm

that would probably fix it 95-100%. the 5% variability comes from the fact that water still drains into that hole from the wiper and you cant guarantee that the flexidip won't let water seep through at some point and slowly start rusting the bolt from underneath where you can't see it.

if you have it around, then spray that on first, as that will take most of the issue away. then later put in a fix that doesn't let water sit in that pool.

Marko
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH, 2/17
32k, 96% SoH, 6/17
37k, 92% SoH, 9/17

rodenti
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 310458

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks for the reply Marko.

I just popped off the plastic grates under the hood and saw what you described. We had a thunderstorm earlier and the two wells were full of water. No rust at this time, but the car was only built in May so I'm glad there was none.

I agree that flexidip may not be a 100% solution since water will still sit in the well... any pinhole will hide the rusting.

Instead I fashioned a plastic hood from a small sheet of clear plastic from a strawberry container, bending the edges to hold around the outside. I wanted it clear so I can check inside without having to remove it.

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm

rodenti wrote:Thanks for the reply Marko.

I just popped off the plastic grates under the hood and saw what you described. We had a thunderstorm earlier and the two wells were full of water. No rust at this time, but the car was only built in May so I'm glad there was none.

I agree that flexidip may not be a 100% solution since water will still sit in the well... any pinhole will hide the rusting.

Instead I fashioned a plastic hood from a small sheet of clear plastic from a strawberry container, bending the edges to hold around the outside. I wanted it clear so I can check inside without having to remove it.

Just did mine like estomax above.
Used a cut down 4" drain cap from plumbing dept at Home depot .
I have never found water in the passenger side on my 13 or 16.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”