Front seat airbag sensor recall R1607

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVforRobert

I searched NHTSA with my VIN to see if I had a Takata airbag and was surprised to find that my passenger seat sensor was defective but no fix is available. I heard nothing about this from Nissan.
It is for 2015 SV. Tomorrow I will call my dealer. I have noted sometimes the light that says the airbag is off with a passenger in the seat.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

There was a recall for this that included my 2013 SV, so there should be a fix available. Mine was repaired (it's just a reprogram, actually) and it shouldn't be an issue.

I was told Nissan was awaiting parts and they'd notify effected people when they got the parts, probably by a post cart??

We are bringing ours in for the broken A/C and they told us there was a recall but didn't have the parts from Nissan yet. They told us they would let us know when they came in.

It looks like even those of us who had the software reprogram done for the first seat sensor recall will have to have it done again, this time with the part replaced. I got my notice today - just in time to cancel this week's service appointment until the parts are there!

I'm fairly sure that since the reprogram my seat sensor has worked fine. I'm kind of Irked, because I wanted to get the car in now to have the A/C recall work done, and to get the inspection for for the extended warranty filled out. I cancelled tomorrow's appointment, but I may have to choose between waiting so long that I have to pay for a warranty inspection, or just not having the second sensor recall done.

I bought used 2013 LEAF at one of the dealer and completed the paper work. Next day they did not allow me to take the delivery as it has the recall. Now waiting for the parts to be available so it can be fixed.

Based on past experience, can someone tell me what would be the ETA to get the parts ?

desaiamit said:
I bought used 2013 LEAF at one of the dealer and completed the paper work. Next day they did not allow me to take the delivery as it has the recall. Now waiting for the parts to be available so it can be fixed.

Based on past experience, can someone tell me what would be the ETA to get the parts ?
If it was a Nissan-franchise dealer, they may be legally mandated to not sell cars with open recall work not completed. I'm pretty sure this is the case for new cars. Not sure about used.

I was at a Nissan dealer today for unrelated warranty work and asked about whether they could get the OCS recall work done on my '13. Unfortunately, they had no parts and heard of an date of June 17th for the parts, but it sounded like that was when the parts would be available, not necessarily when they'd show up at the dealer.

Interestingly, I was on email conversation w/the used car dealer I bought my '13 Leaf from last year. He mentioned a recall and essentially that due to this, Nissan-franchise dealers may not bid on '13 Leafs due to the recall. I think he's referring to the above, as well. They (Nissan-franchise dealers) probably don't want to be stuck w/inventory that they can't legally sell. OTOH, used car dealers are probably not held to this, esp. since may have no repair facilities anyway.

Translation: This might be a good time for used car dealers to bid on '13 Leafs at auction since fewer (or no) franchise dealers will bid on them. Those dealers tend to be willing to pay more @ auction.

Just to get this absolutely clear in my mind: they tried to fix this issue with a software update, but failed, and now need to replace the sensor? I think my car's sensor is working ok now, and I hate the thought of bringing it in multiple times. I have to bring it in within 10 days of last Saturday, though, because I need the warranty inspection done for the 12 month extended warranty I just bought. So I have an appointment for next Tuesday for that, and if they don't have the parts then, or within a day or two (I can leave the car that long) I may not have this done...

On a related note, the voluntary A/C recall is for the S models only, not the heatpump-equipped cars? I got the notice, but then read here that the two setups are different, and the heatpump isn't at risk of failing. Is it?

cwerdna said:
desaiamit said:

If it was a Nissan-franchise dealer, they may be legally mandated to not sell cars with open recall work not completed. I'm pretty sure this is the case for new cars. Not sure about used.

I was at a Nissan dealer today for unrelated warranty work and asked about whether they could get the OCS recall work done on my '13. Unfortunately, they had no parts and heard of an date of June 17th for the parts, but it sounded like that was when the parts would be available, not necessarily when they'd show up at the dealer.

Thanks for the information.

If a Leaf is being sold by a dealer as a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle, then it must have had all recall work done. Perhaps this is why a dealer is not willing to deliver a used 2013 Leaf without the new sensor installed.
I would like to import a used Leaf to Canada, but am stymied at the moment. The Canadian government requires a letter declaring that all recalls have been addressed before allowing an imported vehicle on the road.
Oddly, the Canadian Nissan Certified Pre-Owned certification does not require recalls to have been performed.
So, if I buy a local Leaf, there is no requirement to ever have the sensor replaced.

I already had this problem way back in January. One dealer that I did not buy the car from did a lame diagnostic test and claimed everything was ok. When I went on the Leaf customer service chat online, I was given a lame excuse that the front passenger was sitting incorrectly and not triggering the seat sensors. 6 months later, Nissan finally admits to the defect. Poor customer relations throughout.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=19164&p=448314#p448314

Got a follow up letter that parts are now available. 5 months later? :roll:

Local dealer only had one in stock, so had it done, took an hour. Now the lamp stays lit until someone over 100 pounds is in the seat.

IMG_6012.JPG

Back