DuncanCunningham
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Re: Reducing maintenance costs - avoid gouging

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:17 am

jkline wrote:I would put the Leaf on ramps and see if the bleed valves look like they have had a wrench on them. If they are dirty, you know the fluid wasn't replaced.

He has a point. Many many times they charge you for work that hasn't even been done. Take pictures (with your phone) as you go so you can check them out without being under the car the whole time.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

gncndad
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:04 am

YES: Brake fluid every 3 years. Moisture is the issue.
YES: Cabin filter. For the member who has NEVER changed his cabin filter, it's probably so clogged you'll have difficulty removing it. I can't believe you've got any airflow at all.

jkline
Delivery Date: 01 May 2016

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:23 am

Changing vehicle fluids at particular intervals is almost based upon folklore, but certainly based upon fluid manufacturers and mechanic's bottom line. Get a brake fluid tester if you want, but its color will tell you everything you need to know.

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:06 am

I'm not going to post a long rant here.
This is not the first post like this one.
They make me angry.

I have a 2012 purchased new.
I Love it.
I have spent, in 4 years, $480 on maintenance.
Keeping in mind that includes the $480 for good tires right up front to replace the Ecrapia's.

I have a cabin air filter in the basement.
About $8.00.
I should replace it.
So,...................... $488.00

12volt battery check on a 7 month old car?
Yep, there it is.
:roll:
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

gncndad
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2016

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:25 am

Re: Brake fluid: IMHO, as soon as the brake fluid has color, there's already corrosion, which is what is causing the change in color. At that point, it's too late.

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 pm

KillaWhat wrote:I'm not going to post a long rant here.
This is not the first post like this one.
They make me angry.

I have a 2012 purchased new.
I Love it.
I have spent, in 4 years, $480 on maintenance.
Keeping in mind that includes the $480 for good tires right up front to replace the Ecrapia's.

I have a cabin air filter in the basement.
About $8.00.
I should replace it.
So,...................... $488.00

12volt battery check on a 7 month old car?
Yep, there it is.
:roll:

For my '12 purchased new in December 2011, I needed new tires at 30K; went with run flats and these have worn well with little to no effect on range, better cornering and much better ride and wear; I believe that these are still considered LRR (low-rolling-resistance) tires but perhaps not a 'soft' as the OEM's were -- just had them rotated at 40K (still look new) for free as part of the purchase and had them check my brake pads and fluid --- both look 'new' (and yes, they test the fluid for any moisture, not just color); both tires and brakes were done at an independent shop I typically use after any 'free' service interval at a dealer --- the only thing I expect the Nissan dealer to charge me for now is that annual battery check -- had them do the cabin filter once and that I think ran me about $100; as some have snapped off the plastic tabs on these I know I'm getting gouged but may try this myself when its due in December; we'll see --- so close to the same as 'KillaWhat' -- now if only the depreciation wasn't so bad on these; its still shameful what a pure profit center some of these dealer's charge but an EV has so much less 'to do' versus an ICE for maintenance they're getting creative --
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

Levenkay
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:11 pm

redLEAF wrote: its still shameful what a pure profit center some of these dealer's charge but an EV has so much less 'to do' versus an ICE for maintenance they're getting creative --

Not creative enough to consider selling software updates, though. Or, for the most part, even HAVING software updates.

Great symmetry on the apostrophes!

jkline
Delivery Date: 01 May 2016

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Well, I encourage everybody to learn to fix their own rigs. As for dealerships, they can go hang: the local Nissan dealership just tried to bleed me for $1000, while predicting dire consequences for a workaround that took 30 minutes and cost zero dollars. And works just fine.

Did you know that if there isn't a complete circuit to the cd player it will drain the battery, rendering the car inoperable? Like almost immediately? That's what they told me. Bastards.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:27 pm

gncndad wrote:Re: Brake fluid: IMHO, as soon as the brake fluid has color, there's already corrosion, which is what is causing the change in color. At that point, it's too late.

Yep. Just junk the car! Actually, there is no one right interval for brake fluid flushes, because it depends on climate and on the integrity of all the system parts, plus whether or not the reservoir cap is ever removed. Testing the fluid after 3 years (mine just tested 100% fine after 3 years) seems like the best course of action.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

paulcone
Delivery Date: 21 Oct 2015

Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:16 pm

jkline wrote:I would put the Leaf on ramps

Not to change the topic too much, but is this even possible on the rear end? I tried to do that to put a hitch on and all I ended up with was a small dent in the bumper, because the car wouldn't clear the ramps. Maybe I used the wrong ones?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”