No status updates through the Portal when plugged into EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Time for a "My LEAF has a bug/defect" thread. I'll start:

My LEAF will not give me status updates through the Owner's Portal when plugged into an EVSE. Or at least MY EVSE...I've yet to try another EVSE in an effort to try and make sure it's the car. Perhaps that's something to go and try at my dealer.

mwalsh said:

My LEAF will not give me status updates through the Owner's Portal when plugged into an EVSE. Or at least MY EVSE...I've yet to try someone another EVSE in an effort to try and make sure it's the car. Perhaps that's something to go and try at my dealer.

My updates work just fine while plugged into a Clipper Creek EVSE.

Should I open a sub-foum under Owners for this ?

Then, we can discuss each defect in a separate thread ...

mwalsh said:

My LEAF will not give me status updates through the Owner's Portal when plugged into an EVSE. Or at least MY EVSE...I've yet to try another EVSE in an effort to try and make sure it's the car. Perhaps that's something to go and try at my dealer.
Did you try your trickle charge cable? That's all I have for the next week or so and it seems to work fine with the status update.
BTW, were you able to get your Carwings info to show up? Still waiting on mine.

I can't see how the car would know/care what flavor of EVSE it's plugged into, really.

The protocol is dirt simple, and there's not a lot of information exchanged. A 20A Clipper Creek should be indistinguishable altogether from an AV, for example. There are no "device drivers". :)

I'd suspect cell coverage -- do you know anyone with an AT&T phone, preferably a low-end one with basic GSM only? Put it in your car and see if it can receive text messages while parked & connected.

Does the same car, parked in the same spot receive Carwings messages just fine when NOT connected to power? If so, yeah, that's weird.

In answer to the last two questions:

1) Not tried my L1 cable...don't want to unwrap it if I don't need to. Would rather drive over to my PD and use their L2.

2) Car communicates fine in the same spot as soon as the L2 is unplugged. BTW, it's not all communications either...the car still sends status emails when it needs to. It's simply that I can't click the refresh button in the Owner's Portal and get that screen to update.

I'm sorry mwalsh. Mine was working fine at the dealership, I'll let you know as soon as its back off the truck what my results are.

I could see something in the GSM circuits not liking some over voltage they see on the line, and refusing to activate during a charge. Perhaps the DC to DC circuits that take form the high voltage down to the 12v system are misbehaving. I wonder if _any_ of your cars 12V system is alive during the L2 charging...

It's not a massive deal. The novelty of checking my status through the Owner's Portal will soon wear off. And if that's the only problem I ever have with the car...... :D

Now how about anyone else....any problems to report?

driveleaf said:
I'm sorry mwalsh. Mine was working fine at the dealership, I'll let you know as soon as its back off the truck what my results are.

I could see something in the GSM circuits not liking some over voltage they see on the line, and refusing to activate during a charge. Perhaps the DC to DC circuits that take form the high voltage down to the 12v system are misbehaving. I wonder if _any_ of your cars 12V system is alive during the L2 charging...

I was thinking the same, RF or AC issues with house/car and a compromised signal that may already be weak.

Mwalsh, it sounds like you have checked it out pretty carefully and this is a real , although small, problem. I'd suggest taking it in for repair under warranty even if it doesn't bother you very much. This will allow Nissan to become aware of the problem and fix it for future cars.

EVDRIVER said:
I was thinking the same, RF or AC issues with house/car and a compromised signal that may already be weak.
Yeah, most likely the RFI from the charger is sufficient to obscure an already weak cell signal!

But, he said that it DOES communicate messages while charging, so perhaps not a communication failure but CARWINGS firmware not updated in the car.

Is there any screen that shows firmware and software (Nav) versions?

But, closest is trying it with your dealer's L2 to see if it does the same thing. Like your dealer, your EVSE is AV, right?

garygid said:
But, closest is trying it with your dealer's L2 to see if it does the same thing. Like your dealer, your EVSE is AV, right?

Now that Carwings may just be fixed (though I won't be completely happy until I see my driving data up there), I'm going to see if acts any differently on my own EVSE tonight. Hopefully it will. Otherwise, it's off down to Connell and see if it works on theirs (yes, they are AV's).

Yaay! I'm now getting status updates while connected to the EVSE. Now to wait for her to start charging and see if the luck holds up!

connected.jpg

Back