EVandPV4Future
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2539

Re: High Pitched Noise While Driving

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 am

I could give the full synthetic and additive a try this weekend. I find plenty of options, is there a brand you like for each?

I find this product for the oil: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ ... ion-fluid/

And this for the additive: https://www.powerpunchinc.com/Gear_Oils_s/1817.htm

briscobully
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 315457

Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Durandal wrote:If it becomes unbearable, I'll swap your Leaf for my 1994 Honda Accord that has an exhaust leak. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, if you have a LOUD high pitch whine develop, ensure to get it to the Nissan stealership to have them check out the reduction gearbox.

I seriously doubt that my, new to me, 2015 S with 14K on it has a reduction gearbox problem, but does anyone know if that would be covered under the CPO warranty? Getting mixed opinions from the dealership that sold me the Leaf (Nissan Dealer) of what the CPO actually covers and does not. I will check to see if it goes away above 20 miles an hour.

Three days of ownership and I love driving it!

Thanks all; without the help of this forum, and the knowledge of the owners in it, I would not have felt comfortable even thinking of a fully electric vehicle. My trade was a 2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser! Couldn't go from too much of one extreme to another! :lol:
2015 Leaf 'S' w/ QC package - Brilliant Silver - 12 Bar / ODO- 13,845 miles/ Ahr =60.81 / SOH= 91.52 / QC = 10 / L1/L2 = 420

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:29 pm

EVandPV4Future wrote:I also have the reduction gear noise. It has been getting worse over the last 12k miles (started at 59k). It is now bad enough that my passangers almost always will ask about the noise.

I am pretty sure it is the recduction gear as I have already replaced the Wheel bearings, driver side axle and performed the TSB for clicking. I have replaced the reduction gear oil. It was black with plenty of particles on both magnetic plugs. Several others have reported the same.

Your gearbox may well have an issue, but for the perspective of other readers you will always find plenty of particles on the magnetic drain plugs whenever you drain a gearbox for the first time, even after just a couple of thousand miles. So if your gearbox is quiet and you go to change the fluid and find this, don't freak out.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”