futureleaf
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 015993

Re: My Nissan Leaf does not go as far as promised

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:36 pm

RockyNv wrote:A lot of stuff here but the EPA Sticker on the window still should have said something like 74 miles average city driving where there is the possibility of regenerative braking and the owners manual is pretty clear about reduced range with straight highway driving.

The Leaf to me has always been targeted at the average commute of less than 37 miles round trip per day which is still published on their site, I read the full write up before purchasing and knew up front that a new or used one would be good for my 23 mile round trip commute on city roads with speeds ranging from 40 to 50 mph.

The electric motor does not create enough waste heat to heat the car like a gasoline or diesel does therefore an electric car has to consume energy to heat the interior so the heated seats are used to help keep you warm without having to run the dash heat full time impacting range. Electric is a very different than gasoline powered so you have to learn to work with it.

Bottom line for long trips I keep my old diesel that gets 40 mpg and can go about 500 miles on a tank of fuel. For a daily commute that requires a 50 mile round trip at intestate speeds in sub freezing temperature where you can't charge at work a used Leaf is a poor choice. I ended up purchasing mine at a dealership that only sold electrics and hybrids and they told me if you regularly need to commute 50 miles on the interstate a Prius Hybrid would be a better choice than a Plug In Electric like the Leaf. Yes the Tesla would probably be adequate but at around $135,000 it is apples and oranges.

Electric cars are still on the bleeding edge so compromises are required in order to save the environment. If these compromises are not a good fit for you then its really time to move on. I would seriously consider a Prius as others have mentioned since that would appear a better fit for your commute.

Hey Rocky, what is your diesel car? I bought a 2013 VW Passat TDI new as my long distance car and if you've been following along, I'll be selling it back to VW. It's a shame though - I have been able to get 50+mpg and go 650+ miles. The replacement long distance car will probably be either the Volt or soon-to-be released Hyundai Ionia plugin.

alembic42
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2015
Leaf Number: 018686

Re: My Nissan Leaf does not go as far as promised

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 am

hi, i'm trying to upgrade my 2012 LEAF with a 2015 battery and having problems. can anyone clue me in on this?

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=28067

Thanks

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”