dcarleaf
Delivery Date: 04 Mar 2013

12v battery dies repeatedly

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:05 am

Four days ago I found my 2013 SL Leaf totally unresponsive. No lights (though the dome light came on once), nothing, and of course it wouldn't start. The dealer tested the 12v battery and found that it was not particularly low, but I replaced it anyway and the car worked fine for two days. Yesterday I didn't drive it at all, and it sat in the garage on the 220 charger. This morning the car is dead again. No dome lights, no dashboard readouts, doors don't lock or unlock. I've change the key fob batteries (last week), so it doesn't appear to be a key problem. There is nothing plugged in inside the car, the lights weren't left on. I'm stumped.

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Re: 12v battery dies repeatedly

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 am

You could have a failing component that is keeping the car electronics active after it is turned off. Did they do a check for error codes when the battery was replaced?

Was the 12 volt battery fully charged when it was installed, or did you fully charge it at home after installation?

Do you have a bluetooth device plugged into the OBD port that is left connected?

Did you have the 3G radio upgrade done? Do you still have 2G service available?

Did it run a charge cycle during the time it was plugged in and sitting in the garage?
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 am

You either have a:
1) Charging system problem
2) Bad 12v battery

I once had a 2 "bad" 12v batteries in a row (defective replacement for my ICE car), so it's possible.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

dcarleaf

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 am

baustin wrote:You could have a failing component that is keeping the car electronics active after it is turned off. Did they do a check for error codes when the battery was replaced?

Was the 12 volt battery fully charged when it was installed, or did you fully charge it at home after installation?

Do you have a bluetooth device plugged into the OBD port that is left connected?

Did you have the 3G radio upgrade done? Do you still have 2G service available?

Did it run a charge cycle during the time it was plugged in and sitting in the garage?

I had the 3G radio upgrade done on Wednesday; the 12v problem began Friday morning. Is there a possible connection. The battery was (supposedly) fully charged when installed. No Bluetooth device active (I turn the Bluetooth off on my phone when I'm not in the car). It did run a charge cycle while it was in the garage.

dcarleaf

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:18 am

CORRECTION: Wednesday work was not the 3G radio one (that's a week or so from now) it was the airbag recall part and software update.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 am

Any other changes to the car this week ?
New dongles or electronic gadgets, e.g ?

As posted above, either you have a (second) poor battery or something(s) are draining the 12v during the night.
Can you log energy drain through the OBDII port at a polling interval of say 5 minutes for a night ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

dcarleaf

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:59 am

I will have to see if I can capture what might be draining it. I've had the car for three years and have not changed any routine that I know of. No new equipment in the garage or on the car; no. Ew Bluetooth devices in the house. This is a sudden and new development. The dealership is running tests and will check the battery again in case it's a dud. Thanks.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:12 am

If the dealer checked the car, and it was unresponsive and there was an "ok" battery, then I think we are talking about a bad or faulty main power FUSE. I had a dead car when the main fuse went, but that was a gas powered car.. Just a shot....

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 pm

How did you get the car to the dealer? Did you jump start it and drive it or have it towed? If you jump started and drove it, the battery would be somewhat recharged by driving so it would not be really low when tested at the dealer unless it was truly defective (bad cell, internal short circuit, etc.). Since the replacement battery was also found dead after being parked, something is discharging the battery.

Do you routinely leave the car plugged in in the garage after charging? There is more residual current drawn by the various modules in the car when it is plugged in and not actively charging than when it is not plugged in. I don't know if the 2013 will turn on the DC-DC converter to recharge the 12-volt battery while the car is plugged in or not (I know the 2011/2012 models will not so they will completely discharge the 12-volt battery if left plugged in, but am not sure about later models).

Until you find the cause, I recommend that you unplug Bluetooth dongles or other devices from the OBDII port when you park the car to eliminate the possibility that something is interfering with the car's "sleep" mode and keeping modules active. I had a small control relay fail to drop out once in a while on the 2011. It kept power to the shift control module so it would probably have discharged the battery if it had failed when I parked for longer than overnight.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

dcarleaf

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:05 pm

On Friday I had it jumped and then drove it there. Today we put it on a carrier and transported it there. I do leave it plugged in all night every night, but I've done that for three years without a problem. The dealership tells me the battery was still dead when the car arrived there so they're going to run diagnostics overnight to see if they can find out what is discharging it. If they find out I'll report it here. I appreciate all the feedback.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”