Extremely slow heating, almost as if its a diesel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristis

Hi all,

My '13 Leaf ('12 model) developed a problem that it has started to heat extremely slow, almost not heating at all. Air coming out from the ducts is a bit warm, but only warm. If i prews recirculate - it starts blowing a bit better heat, but wingows fog up in a few seconds :) and this all started when i wanted to enable auto recirculation mode (pressing recirculate button for 2sec). After that heater became dead and it doesnt matter what mode its on. Even preheating with it beeing pluged in does not do any good.

Yet Leaf consumes same amount of electricity (4kw when started and then about 1.5-2kw along the way).

Any ideas? Blown fuse? Maybe its possible to reset the thing?

The '12 Leaf uses a completely different heater than the '13. I don't see how trying to modify the recirculation behavior can kill the heat, but maybe the recirculation actuator shorted, and blew a fuse...?

Maybe, as this is the only possible option i can think of... After that button - my heating went to a better place :) Yet i cant find a fuse for anything related with it...

It sounds like the stepper motor that moves the intake air door (damper) from fresh air to recirculate stopped in the middle so air flow is not being directed over the heater and/or heat pump coil (depending upon which model you have). The motor could have failed, a fuse could have blown, and/or there could be debris blocking the movement of the damper. The normal heat power consumption indicates the heater or heat pump is still functioning.

Gerry

According to the 2012 service manual (section HAC) the mode, and mix stepper motors
do not have a position detection, and thus can get out of sync with where the auto amp
thinks they are. This can be reset with a dealers consult III+, or a disconnect, and
reconnect of the 12V battery, or 60 times of the power switch being turned off.
So you may have reached the 60th time of turning power switch off.

Back