Instant EnergyEconomy gauge glitchy after service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyler2014SV

I took my Leaf in to my local dealership for a grinding noise up front. Turned out the brakes needed to be machined, as it appeared the car had been sitting for a long time prior to my ownership and the brakes/rotors had rusted/warped.

Anyway, on the drive home, I noticed 2 things:
1.) My Average EnergyEconomy gauge shot up to well over 5 after being reset...it had never gotten over 4.2.
2.) My Instant EnergyEconomy gauge is really glitchy now & seems to have quite a lag. For example I can press down on the accelerator, and the gauge will show full 8 KWh efficiency.

I called the dealership to let them know that I'm VERY pleased with #1, but puzzled by #2, as the gauge was always very responsive and the feedback it provided instant.

Any thoughts?

-Scott
view

The noise indicated friction that was caused by your brakes being faulty. Less friction better efficiency.

The Instant Energy Efficiency gauge maxes out at 8kWh. If you have been doing better than that, it uses up that "credit" before dropping below 8. Probably related to the brake issue.

The gauge is reset either by removing the 12v battery power or pressing and holding the little "dot" button on the 4-button square that controls the trip and dash menu. Likely when taken in for service they disconnected the 12v battery and reset the meter, and now it is fluctuating far more because it has just begun taking an average. Some people never ever reset that meter and it shows the average over 1000s of miles of driving and barely moves at all when you drive day to day because of it.

Let me clarify. There are TWO Energy Efficiency gauges that I'm referring to...the bar graph one that gives you an INSTANT readout of your efficiency (press on the accelerator and it goes down, coast down a hill and it goes up to 8) and then there's the long-term one which is resettable with the button you mentioned. I did this, and have been getting efficiency readings 1 m/KWh better than before the work.

The gauge I'm concerned about is the INSTANT one...the bar graph. It's wacky. Kuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Not based in reality.

I figured it out!!!

So when normally driving that bar graph shows the instantaneous efficiency and you can watch it move with the gas pedal, then sometimes it will peg all the way to the right at 8 and stay there no matter what speed or how much you put your foot down.

Well that's because it's accounting for regen! It will peg at 8 until all the regen from the previous regen session is burnt off, then it will go back to showing instantaneous efficiency.

Maybe this was known to some already but it's new to me and mystery solved! I figured it out this morning after regenning down a few hills and noticing it pegged at 8 for a mile or two, then I did shorter regens and it pegged for shorter.

Back