Tire change - what is the best option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydoc

Hi all

I had a flat tire half a mile from home when i was driving in my 2014 Leaf SV to attend to an emergency at work. Since i could not spare the time to seal the tire tear, I drove back home on the flat tire and drove to work in my Prius.

Needless to say, the tire is ruined and needs to be replaced. I was considering my options and need some help. I have only owned cars for about 2 years now, so please excuse me if my questions are at novice level!

1. Since the car is in my garage now, can I remove the wheel that the damaged tire is on and carry it to a workshop to have a new tire fitted on to it? I already have a new spare tire from the previous owner. I have a hydraulic jack, stands and can take the wheel off myself.

2. If so what torque wrench pressure setting do I need to put the wheel back on?

3. What about TPMS? The manual says that it can get damaged when the tire is taken off the rim. Does that mean only an authorized dealer will know how to remove it and put the new tire back on?

4. Is there any other simpler and cheaper way to do this?

Thanks

Jay

Put the spare on and take it to a tire shop you trust. As long as the wheel is not damaged, you will be fine. Depending on the shape of the tires, I would put two new tires on the back, or replace all four. Keep the good tire(s) as spares, in case this happens again in the future.

If the spare you have is just a tire, and not a tire mounted on a wheel, then you can remove the flat tire and take the spare to your tire shop to be mounted on the wheel. Tire shops know TPMS, so that should not be an issue. Ask the tire shop for the proper torque setting to use.

baustin said:
Put the spare on and take it to a tire shop you trust. As long as the wheel is not damaged, you will be fine. Depending on the shape of the tires, I would put two new tires on the back, or replace all four. Keep the good tire(s) as spares, in case this happens again in the future.

If the spare you have is just a tire, and not a tire mounted on a wheel, then you can remove the flat tire and take the spare to your tire shop to be mounted on the wheel. Tire shops know TPMS, so that should not be an issue. Ask the tire shop for the proper torque setting to use.

So basically remove the wheel with the flat, take it to any tire shop with the new spare and have them know it has TPMS, and they will remove the old tire and mount the new one on?

plugzin said:
He has a spare?

Spare tire only, yes.

Thanks

jaydoc said:
baustin said:

So basically remove the wheel with the flat, take it to any tire shop with the new spare and have them know it has TPMS, and they will remove the old tire and mount the new one on?

Correct. That should get you back on the road. They can also lookup and tell you the correct torque wrench setting for the lug nuts.

The valve stem has a pressure monitor on it that reports the tire pressure to the TPMS in the car. Many newer vehicles are equipped with these. If you use the can of goo to inflate a flat tire, it usually ruins the valve stem sensor and you have to buy another one. There are quite a few Leaf owners that have purchased an Altima donut spare to keep in the car.

plugzin said:
He has a spare?

Only Leafs sold in Australia came factory equipped with a spare. The donut spare for the Nissan Altima fits the Leaf. Many of us have purchased one and keep in the car with a jack and lug wrench. There are several threads on here covering spare tires.

Thanks all.

I took the wheel to Pepboys and got them to fit the new tire onto the rim.

About the torque wrench, will a 1/2 inch wrench work? I just tightened the lugs with the wrench that comes with the leaf.

I am planning on taking the car to a dealer since the low tire pressure warning is still on despite being driven for almost an hour today. Maybe i just need to change all the other tires as well. The car has only 30000 miles on it, though.

jaydoc said:
Thanks all.

I took the wheel to Pepboys and got them to fit the new tire onto the rim.

About the torque wrench, will a 1/2 inch wrench work? I just tightened the lugs with the wrench that comes with the leaf.

I am planning on taking the car to a dealer since the low tire pressure warning is still on despite being driven for almost an hour today. Maybe i just need to change all the other tires as well. The car has only 30000 miles on it, though.

A 1/2-inch drive torque wrench with suitable socket will work. If you don't have a torque wrench, look for one with a range up to 150 ft-lb. That range will cover wheel lugs for most passenger cars and light trucks.

Check all of the tire pressures before taking it to a dealer. Nissan recommends 36 psi, but car handles better and tires last longer if they are inflated higher. If tires are all at least 36 psi, it is likely that the pressure sensor was damaged by driving on the flat tire.

Back