DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12336
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:23 pm

yeah nothing sounds right about this car. He has lost 1/3rd of his capacity and only ONE bar? hmmm? 5 months sitting on a lot in AZ including the ENTIRE Summer...

There seems to be a key piece of data missing... could be anything but there is definitely something else going on with this car
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12336
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:00 am

ebeighe wrote:I have a new 2017 Leaf S delivered 7/27/2017; not sure of build data, where do i see that?
The battery numbers from Leafspy seem to be dropping significantly/quickly!?
Arizona. So it's hot here obviously. Also something that hadn't really occured to me until afterward, but it's parked in the garage which stays maybe no cooler than 90 degrees all summer.
The battery temp bars stays at 7 almost all the time; it goes to 8 once in awhile, and it dropped to 6 once when it was rainy/cloudy for a day...

Here's what leafspy said/says:

Code: Select all

07/29/2017
odo 115   
Ahr 81.92
SOH 100%
Hx 98.05

9/9/2017
odo 1106
Ahr 76.05
SOH 95%
Hx 91.08


build date is on the driver's door jamb. Based on your VIN, I would guess Dec 2015-Feb 2016?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

berclese
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2016
Leaf Number: 310756

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:yeah nothing sounds right about this car. He has lost 1/3rd of his capacity and only ONE bar? hmmm? 5 months sitting on a lot in AZ including the ENTIRE Summer...

There seems to be a key piece of data missing... could be anything but there is definitely something else going on with this car


Battery check scheduled tomorrow at Power Nissan in Chandler. I will report the results.

I believe the car had full capacity on delivery with the GOM reporting over 100 miles range for the first 3 months.
BTW: The car has been garaged for most of this summer as I am semi-retired. 10 QCs and 284 L1/L2s in a year.
2016 SV - 30kWh battery

samrovner
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2016
Leaf Number: 310120
Location: Surprise, AZ

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Hey Guys, I have a 2016 SV with a 30 kWh battery that has lost two bars. The first was around 12k miles, and the second at 17k miles. My car is now at 19,800 miles and I FINALLY bought Leaf Spy and an OBDII adapter because my range has dropped considerably in the past month or so. My stats are as follows, AHr = 52.31, SOH = 65%, and Hx = 61.23%. I am now getting range anxiety on my 65 mile daily commute (roundtrip). I'm in Phoenix, and while I know that the heat kills our battery, I expected it to hold up better than my 2013 SV that did not have the "Lizard Pack". My 2013 lost it's first bar around 20k miles, and when I turned it in at 47k I had just lost my 3rd bar. At this rate I feel like I'll be due for a 4 bar replacement in no time. I've read through this thread, and can't seem to find out when to expect to lose my 3rd and 4th bars. Does this knowledge exist yet? Also should I be concerned something else is wrong with it, possibly bad cells or something? I'm happy I decided to lease again, as I almost went with the purchase option given the larger battery. I do charge to 100%, and use a L2 charger at home. According to LeafSpy I have used QC 6 times. Any thoughts?

ebeighe
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jul 2017
Leaf Number: 308422
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
ebeighe wrote:I have a new 2017 Leaf S delivered 7/27/2017; [edit: the build date is 04/2017]
The battery numbers from Leafspy seem to be dropping significantly/quickly!?
Arizona. So it's hot here obviously. Also something that hadn't really occured to me until afterward, but it's parked in the garage which stays maybe no cooler than 90 degrees all summer.
The battery temp bars stays at 7 almost all the time; it goes to 8 once in awhile, and it dropped to 6 once when it was rainy/cloudy for a day...

Here's what leafspy said/says:

Code: Select all

07/29/2017
odo 115   
Ahr 81.92
SOH 100%
Hx 98.05

9/9/2017
odo 1106
Ahr 76.05
SOH 95%
Hx 91.08


build date is on the driver's door jamb. Based on your VIN, I would guess Dec 2015-Feb 2016?

Yes, there it is, thanks -- the build date is 04/2017
"Brilliant Silver" 2017 S built 04/17, delivered 7/27/2017

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Gold Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:04 pm

ebeighe wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
ebeighe wrote:I have a new 2017 Leaf S delivered 7/27/2017; [edit: the build date is 04/2017]
The battery numbers from Leafspy seem to be dropping significantly/quickly!?
Arizona. So it's hot here obviously. Also something that hadn't really occured to me until afterward, but it's parked in the garage which stays maybe no cooler than 90 degrees all summer.
The battery temp bars stays at 7 almost all the time; it goes to 8 once in awhile, and it dropped to 6 once when it was rainy/cloudy for a day...

Here's what leafspy said/says:

Code: Select all

07/29/2017
odo 115   
Ahr 81.92
SOH 100%
Hx 98.05

9/9/2017
odo 1106
Ahr 76.05
SOH 95%
Hx 91.08


build date is on the driver's door jamb. Based on your VIN, I would guess Dec 2015-Feb 2016?

Yes, there it is, thanks -- the build date is 04/2017


OUCH!! It seems the newer batteries are worse for Arizona than the old packs (or maybe AZ is now warmer than before)?! My 30kwh S was built in Oct 2016 (~6 months older) and I'm not seeing anywhere near the degradation, but I've been very diligent about manually keeping the charge under 90% and above 30%.

2nd bar lost at 65% is going to be a huge problem, as that would be the point where the old pack would've already dropped the 4th bar!
[2013 leaf traded for 2016 leaf S30:
build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
1 May 2017 - 7300 miles & 363 GIDs
6 Sep 2017 - 13k miles & 359 GIDs
26 Oct 2017 - 15.5k miles & 344 GIDs
26 Nov 2017 - 17.1k miles & 332 GIDs]

berclese
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:44 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Aug 2016
Leaf Number: 310756

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 am

berclese wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:yeah nothing sounds right about this car. He has lost 1/3rd of his capacity and only ONE bar? hmmm? 5 months sitting on a lot in AZ including the ENTIRE Summer...

There seems to be a key piece of data missing... could be anything but there is definitely something else going on with this car


Battery check scheduled tomorrow at Power Nissan in Chandler. I will report the results.

I believe the car had full capacity on delivery with the GOM reporting over 100 miles range for the first 3 months.
BTW: The car has been garaged for most of this summer as I am semi-retired. 10 QCs and 284 L1/L2s in a year.


UPDATE: Of course, Nissan says my 66% SOH battery is doing great at one year of service. The battery information sheet is worthless as it just rates your use of charging and driving usage, presumably from the Nissan Connect data. It also shows the bars left in a graph, nothing we don't already know. No data on SOH, kWh or projected range.

The service rep said 20-25% capacity loss in the first year is average. I hope the loss is going to slow this year. This car is going to become worthless to me if the range gets much worse.
2016 SV - 30kWh battery

samrovner
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2016
Leaf Number: 310120
Location: Surprise, AZ

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:35 pm

berclese wrote:
berclese wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:yeah nothing sounds right about this car. He has lost 1/3rd of his capacity and only ONE bar? hmmm? 5 months sitting on a lot in AZ including the ENTIRE Summer...

There seems to be a key piece of data missing... could be anything but there is definitely something else going on with this car


Battery check scheduled tomorrow at Power Nissan in Chandler. I will report the results.

I believe the car had full capacity on delivery with the GOM reporting over 100 miles range for the first 3 months.
BTW: The car has been garaged for most of this summer as I am semi-retired. 10 QCs and 284 L1/L2s in a year.


UPDATE: Of course, Nissan says my 66% SOH battery is doing great at one year of service. The battery information sheet is worthless as it just rates your use of charging and driving usage, presumably from the Nissan Connect data. It also shows the bars left in a graph, nothing we don't already know. No data on SOH, kWh or projected range.

The service rep said 20-25% capacity loss in the first year is average. I hope the loss is going to slow this year. This car is going to become worthless to me if the range gets much worse.


You and I are in the same boat, and I was hoping you were going to have better news today. I'm in Phoenix too, and this is my second LEAF. My 2013 SV didn't degrade like this at all. I agree with you about the car becoming worthless, and can't imagine what the range will be like when I finally lose my 4th bar. I read an article last night about contacting Nissan's Customer Support to start documenting this early, just to avoid headaches when it finally does qualify for replacement. I plan on calling them later today or tomorrow. Have you reached out to them yet?

ebeighe
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Jul 2017
Leaf Number: 308422
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:IF you can find a way to keep the pack cooler, that pack will last longer. I realize it may not be possible.

ya, I get that. At this point i don't plan to take extraordinary measure (AC the garage!?), and my driving habits turn out to be relatively cool in terms of battery temp -- very little highway speeds, for example. And anyway range really isn't a big issue to me, short commute, and generally low miles overall.

i'll just wait and see... i know nobody really knows how the 8yr capacity degradation warrantee will play out but 8 years is a long time from my perspective.
"Brilliant Silver" 2017 S built 04/17, delivered 7/27/2017

Reddy
Posts: 1444
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:09 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828
Location: Pasco, WA

Re: 2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:50 pm

berclese wrote:The service rep said 20-25% capacity loss in the first year is average. I hope the loss is going to slow this year. This car is going to become worthless to me if the range gets much worse.
Ok, that pretty much seals the deal for me. I won't be upgrading my 24 KWh 2011 to a 30 KWh 2016-17. Sorry Nissan, it will be a Tesla Model 3 for me.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 43,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”