cannot disable startup chime

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, for the first time in about 5 years, the startup and shutdown chimes in my 2011 Leaf were active. I was rather startled when I turned the car on and heard the chime. The car has not been to the dealer recently.

I tried to disable the chime via the "effects" menu on the display behind the steering wheel, but I could not (I think I chose "Setup -> Effects -> off").

Has anyone else had this happen? Am I doing the correct procedure to disable the chime?

Thanks,
Ben

Good question. I will check that out.

I know that measuring the voltage with a DMM is not really a good indicator of battery health. If I can run the headlights for 15 minutes (with the car turned off), can I assume the 12V accessory battery is in good shape?

FYI, the chime finally turned off, after I repeated the procedure several times. So, the original problem is solved, but it is probably good to check the 12V battery, which, if I recall, is 3 years old.

Ben

benjwhite9 said:
If I can run the headlights for 15 minutes (with the car turned off), can I assume the 12V accessory battery is in good shape?
Ben

Yes.
Run low and high beams, fogs for 20 minutes while vehicle off and not charging. Then while battery is being drained
with lights turn the vehicle on. If it starts normally then there is definitely some life left in the 12V battery.

I would recommend disconnecting anything in OBD port while vehicle is not used. Some adapters will never let the
vehicle fall asleep and torture 12V battery.

benjwhite9 said:
I know that measuring the voltage with a DMM is not really a good indicator of battery health.
Ben
News to me, but I am not expert by any means.

I do check in the morning after the 12V has sat overnight to remove "surface charge."

SageBrush said:
benjwhite9 said:
I know that measuring the voltage with a DMM is not really a good indicator of battery health.
Ben
News to me, but I am not expert by any means....

I can confirm. My last dead battery read over 12V but as soon as even a small load was applied voltage would plunge. I think I had to clear something like 25 error codes.

No-load voltage is just one indication of battery health. I've seen many 12-volt batteries show normal voltage under no load and watched the voltage collapse under headlight load or attempted engine start (more prevalent in summer here with high underhood temperatures).

benjwhite9 said:
Arnis, thanks for the tip about removing the OBD-II bluetooth adapter. I have been leaving my adapter plugged in all the time, and I now realize I should not do that.

I use one of these cables. It lets you leave it plugged in all the time. Just switch it off when you park to prevent battery drain.
https://smile.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Female-Diagnostic-Extension-battery/dp/B00UR5XBMW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489485443&sr=8-2&keywords=obd+cable+switch

Back