Learn from my mistake

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richfife

File under: Things that will f*ck up your Leaf.

I have an OBD2 scanner that I used to use on my Gen1 Prius to track the slow decay of the batteries. In order to make it better at gathering long term info, I attached a 12V to 5V USB charger to the unit with solder and electrical tape. Then I attached an old Android phone to the charger and left it on to log OBD2 info. A little extreme, but sure, fine.

Two things I determined about the charging part: It was the best, fastest charger I owned and it was convenient that it stayed on even when the car was off (the OBD2 port 12V is not switched).

When the Prius went away, I moved it to my Leaf, but only as a charger. I never really got around to exploring the Leaf through OBD2.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the Leaf in for the 2G -> 3G upgrade. By then I had pretty much forgotten that the "charger" was also a bluetooth OBD2 unit.

So here's my addition to the knowledge base of Leaf ownership: Performing a 2G -> 3G upgrade with an OBD2 dongle attached (even if nothing is communicating with the dongle) will screw up your on board computer.

Luckily, the car drives and functions OK, but any remote access is permanently fubar. Forever more, attempts to use Carwings remotely will say:

Vehicle Status: Refresh Request Failed
There was a problem detected by the vehicle when attempting to execute the refresh vehicle status command. Please see your dealer if the problem persists.

This is after 3 3G units, by the way.

Very interesting. I have to wonder if this doesn't explain some of the other complaint on this forum about the 3G upgrade not working. I have to figure those on this forum are more likely to have an OBDII adapter plugged in at all times. I know that I don't keep mine plugged in, and had zero issues with my upgrade.

GetOffYourGas said:
I have to figure those on this forum are more likely to have an OBDII adapter plugged in at all times. I know that I don't keep mine plugged in, and had zero issues with my upgrade.
Same here, except I do unplug my ODBII adapter when I take it in for service, such as the 3G upgrade...

desiv

desiv said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I have to figure those on this forum are more likely to have an OBDII adapter plugged in at all times. I know that I don't keep mine plugged in, and had zero issues with my upgrade.
Same here, except I do unplug my ODBII adapter when I take it in for service, such as the 3G upgrade...

desiv

+1, though I do it more so it doesn't disappear than anything else. I clear the rest of the car of "valuable items" while I'm at it.

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe the OP has this backward, and it was just a failed TCU upgrade, like many others reported here.

The tried upgrading three times and finally mumbled something about a u1000 error.

Thanks for sharing OP.

I am leery enough of the bi-directional character of the OBD2 device that I only use it when the car is parked.

Scary finding here with the Konwei OBD2 device that LeafSpy project owner recommends:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776

May explain what happened to the OP...

OP, can you specify the exact make and model of the OBD2 dongle you bought? Can you include an URL to where you bought it from?

Back