2012 L2 Charging Shuts Down

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solarman004

My apologies up front-- I know I have read a similar post, but could not find it again in multiple searches.

My 2012 SL is having the charging shut down before completion every 2 to 3 days. It has been to the dealer twice for this issue, but I'm getting ready to take it back in now I've replicated it on two other chargers (at the previous service visits, Nissan blamed my EVSE). I'm looking for similar cases, hopefully with your resolution, that I can pass to Nissan.

Symptoms:
1. I plug in the car using my generation 2 Schneider EVLink EVSE. I get the normal charging indications on the EVSE and the car. At 5 to 15 minutes later, the charging stops as if complete-- no error lights on the EVSE. This happens every 2 to 3 days. The other days I get normal charging.
2. Half the time after this premature shutdown, I get no on-board errors. The other half I get the master warning lights (yellow triangle and car with exclamation points). Using LeafSpy Pro, I get the following DTCs:
B29C1 9428 Charger EVSE VC-98
B2850 2428 Charger OBC Temp Sen VC-72
B2840 9628 Charger On Board Charger VC-74
P3171 00C2 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236
The car continues to operate with the warning lights which usually (but not always) go away if I power off then start the car again.

On numerous occasions, the car did complete it's charging, but I had the above warning lights and DTCs when starting up.

3. When the charging is disrupted, I have to unplug then plug in again, and/or start and shut down the car multiple times before the charging will finish. Sometimes I've found, based on a thread I read here but can't find again, that if I press the timer override button, the charging will start back up and complete. I keep both charging timers turned off so charging is set to 100%.

4. This problem has now occurred multiple times over the last 2 years on two different EVLink models: a gen 1 and a gen 2. And today, it occurred on a Schneider public charger that I have used in the past with no trouble.

5. I rarely quick charge or trickle charge (120 V), but when I've done so, I've never had a charging problem.

6. Other info: the 12V battery tests good at 12.4 V with power off. I've inspected and cleaned the L2 charge port. I have 36,000 miles and am down 1 bar of battery capacity.

I sure would appreciate any comments from folks that have solved a similar issue.

Thanks.

Is the 12v battery the original, on your '12 ? If so that puts it at ~5 years old, about the life of a normal lead acid battery. I know you said it measures normal voltage but batteries can sometimes read OK but are bad. 12v issues are somewhat common on a Leaf and again if the battery is original I'd just replace it to start eliminating things. Another thing to try, and not sure if it would help, but it can't hurt, is to always push the timer override button everytime you plug the car in.
Otherwise with those error codes it sounds like some sort of charger(the one built in the car) issue, overheating?? something that would be much more expensive than replacing the 12v lead acid battery, if that fixes the issue.

jjeff said:
Is the 12v battery the original, on your '12 ? If so that puts it at ~5 years old, about the life of a normal lead acid battery. I know you said it measures normal voltage but batteries can sometimes read OK but are bad. 12v issues are somewhat common on a Leaf and again if the battery is original I'd just replace it to start eliminating things. Another thing to try, and not sure if it would help, but it can't hurt, is to always push the timer override button everytime you plug the car in.
Otherwise with those error codes it sounds like some sort of charger(the one built in the car) issue, overheating?? something that would be much more expensive than replacing the 12v lead acid battery, if that fixes the issue.

jjeff: Thanks. I was planning to replace the 12V this summer for preventative maintenance anyway, so I'll give that a try. Because this issue has been occurring for the last 2 years, but getting worse, I'm not sure it's a 12V battery issue, but the battery should be changed anyway,
I'm not worried about the cost of the on-board charger...I purchased the extended warranty and it should be covered.

Over the past week I have seen the same issue with my 2015 Nissan leaf whenever I charge at my work. This is a 230V 6A charger. When I charge at home on a trickle charger it does not happen. I get the yellow triangle and yellow car with and exclamation mark. This does not go away even if I switch off the car wait for a bit and restart it. I does go away once I charge at home.

I took it to the Nissan Dealer for service today and they said they could not reproduce the issue and it charges well there. There were no DTCs etc. What I am baffled about is - if a warning is hit why does the on board computer not save it and show it when the diagnostics are run? I took the car in a day after the issue was hit. Next time I am going to take a photo - not sure if that will help though.

Back