Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Re: 12v battery dies overnight 2013 S

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 am

npav wrote:I've run into a problem with my 2013 LEAF S. The 12v battery dies overnight, back in November I bought a new 12v battery from AutoZone because the original died and there had been no problems since.

Now a few days ago I go to drive the LEAF and it doesn't start, no lights, no door unlock, nothing, just like when the original battery died. So I figured the 12v was low on charge, so I jump started it and drove around for a while to charge it up.

Next morning it's dead again. So this time I jump it and take it to AutoZone to test the battery, they say it's healthy, just needs a charge, so I plug in the portable Stanley battery charge kit and leave it there for about 3 hours or so. Give it a shot and it starts right up, checked the battery voltage and it shows at just over 13v. Figure that's that and call it a night. Next morning the car won't start again and it registers at just 4v.

Then again this whole thing could just be a bad battery from AutoZone and they don't want to admit it...

npav -
A "new" battery that is installed in a Leaf MAY need to be fully charged before it is put to use. This would be an unusual case where the seller has old inventory (and had installed the acid!) and the battery has discharged. What is important to understand about the Leaf is that the charging system is quite different than a typical ICE auto and (at least I've proven for my 2012 Leaf - cannot comment on other models!), it is better at MAINTAINING the FLA battery than it is charging a discharged battery.

Next, if you buy a oversized auto battery, it can take a very long time to charge from a discharged state to fully charged with a trickle charger. Let's say you have a 100 ahr FLA battery (I know - it's rated in CCA!) and you use a 1.5 amp "trickle" charger to recharge a fully discharged battery- at best it will take about 60 hours to charge! Also, individual cells in a FLA battery like to be "equalized" periodically with a typical full amperage (15+) auto style charger - up to essentially 15 volts for 1/2 to 2 hours - and that assumes it was near full charge to start with.

Lastly, if you've seen 4 volts on your new battery - take it back and insist on a new one. This is a very destructive voltage for any lead acid battery - for any length of time. It is possible the new battery had a "shorted" cell - or some defect that effectively quickly drains itself - with no external connections.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
2012 Leaf SL; 34,000 miles. 12 bars - Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.
4000 watts Grid-tied solar. 3000 watts (level II) off-grid solar Leaf charging capable.

cliff
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2012
Leaf Number: 022673

Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The power windows only remain active for 30 seconds after power off, though.

I finally got around to checking the service manual, while there is a switched power supply,
there is also a non switched power on pin 18, that manual says observe battery voltage
when power is off. Bottom line, the 30 second power off would not effect this pin for
a failed controller.

JRoque
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 406755

Sun May 21, 2017 5:56 am

Hi all,

Another possibility: it's the Carwings radio that remain on and retrying to connect to Nissan. I've had my battery drained down twice and both times Carwings was also having issues. Right now, neither the app or website can connect to the car. Maybe it's all coincidence.

JR

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Sun May 21, 2017 6:07 am

JRoque wrote:Hi all,

Another possibility: it's the Carwings radio that remain on and retrying to connect to Nissan. I've had my battery drained down twice and both times Carwings was also having issues. Right now, neither the app or website can connect to the car. Maybe it's all coincidence.

JR

There have been some problems with CarWings (and the TCU upgrade) draining 12v batteries, but an "S" trim doesn't have CarWings.
The OP has never posted again, so for all we know it was a bad 12v battery to begin with.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”