4CloverLeaf
Delivery Date: 23 Mar 2017

Re: New Owner Introduction and LeafSpy metrics

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Congratulations on your new car, I am glad you are happy and it fits your needs well. There really are some screaming deals out there now as I don't think a lot of people are aware of how great EVs can be. I feel like a lot of the early adopters have already bought EVs but the mass market does not have the confidence to make the jump just yet. Add to that that a good number more buyers are waiting for the next generation of EVs that are just around the corner and I think we will find that EVs are probably around the their low right now and prices have been driven down to the point that these represent terrific value.

Intentionally trying to destroy the battery does not seem like the most ethical thing to me. I know legally you have the right, but... Think if you personally made a product and people intentionally destroyed it simply to get another new one for free. How long before you would stop supporting your customer base or stop producing the product? Let's be honest, you can't keep down that path unless maybe you can get people to pay for two up front and simply take advantage of the people that only use one. If a lot of people start doing this or Nissan feels that they are, I promise you that Nissan will stop supporting customers and nobody will get taken care of after the warranty is over. I suspect they would also change the warranty for future EVs if they continue to support them at all. I hope and think that most people will treat others as they would want to be treated and won't take advantage of other people just because they have the legal authority.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Intentionally trying to destroy the battery does not seem like the most ethical thing to me. I know legally you have the right, but... Think if you personally made a product and people intentionally destroyed it simply to get another new one for free. How long before you would stop supporting your customer base or stop producing the product?

Nissan has misrepresented both the range and longevity of the 24kwh Leaf pack. They had to be forced by a lawsuit to try to remedy this. Until recently, they followed the letter of the warranty instead of the spirit. Were it not for those things, I'd agree with you.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

16vjohn
Delivery Date: 24 Apr 2017

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:03 pm

For what it's worth, I had a battery report done. Five stars across the board. The service writer at the dealer seemed convinced it'd be hitting 8 soon and said this car would be an open and shut case for warranty replacement. Like I say, I guess we'll see what happens this summer. I'm beyond range anxiety and really starting to just enjoy the car.

I will say, I've already met some really weird folk at the charging stations that want me in their Leaf cult clubs. :/ Lol, still leery of that.

Oh, and this car came from Mesa. I know it came from Arizona but I didn't know it was from the battery-baking Mecca. Fully explains the capacity loss.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:56 pm

4CloverLeaf wrote:Intentionally trying to destroy the battery does not seem like the most ethical thing to me. I know legally you have the right, but... Think if you personally made a product and people intentionally destroyed it simply to get another new one for free.

LeftieBiker wrote: Nissan has misrepresented both the range and longevity of the 24kwh Leaf pack. They had to be forced by a lawsuit to try to remedy this. Until recently, they followed the letter of the warranty instead of the spirit. Were it not for those things, I'd agree with you.

Yep.

4Clover: Since you're new here, please see claims Nissan made at viewtopic.php?p=469608#p469608. And remember, there was NO battery capacity warranty any Leafs until viewtopic.php?t=13192 was announced, which apparently came about due to the Klee class action suit.
16vjohn wrote:For what it's worth, I had a battery report done. Five stars across the board.

Which is exactly why we've found the stupid battery report is totally useless to the customer.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:25 am

cwerdna wrote:Yep.

Count me as another yep
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

BuckMkII

Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am

4CloverLeaf wrote:Congratulations on your new car, I am glad you are happy and it fits your needs well. There really are some screaming deals out there now ...

What would you consider a "screaming deal?" I'm still pretty new to the Leaf shopping process, and while some of the prices are what I would consider attractive, I'm not sure what's really good, or how well the KBB values incorporate the possibility of a $6000 battery replacement.
2013 SV no QC, manufactured July 2013
car grew up in San Jose CA, purchased 5/31/17 in Seattle
on 6/16/17: AHr = 56.4; SOH = 86%; Hx = 84.3; ODO = 39,250
on 9/29/17: AHr = 55.3; SOH = 84%; Hx = 81.6; ODO = 41,492
bar 12 lost 8/21/17

DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Sun May 07, 2017 9:29 am

16vjohn wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:Check the door sill manufacturer's label for the build date. If this Leaf was built before April of 2013, then losing the 4th bar fairly soon is a good bet. If it was built later, then it may lose capacity much more slowly if your climate is cooler. (I don't really know how SLC is in Summer.)

Thanks sir. I just checked and it's got a build date of 9/13... rats... lol. That's ok, the car is perfectly serving my expectations with its current range. The title was issued in October, so I still have about 18 months of use before the warranty expires.

Salt Lake has hot and dry summers. July, the average high will be in the 90's. There's always 2 or 3 weeks where the highs can get into the 100's but only barely. Nothing like Arizona though.

you should be fine. This gives you 18+ months and several thousand miles to lose that bar. Should be no problem
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 26,100.2 miles.363GID Ahr 79.55Hx95.35%kwh28.1QCs227,L2's 237
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”