L1 Charger quit working - help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickR

The 110v charger that came with the car suddenly stopped working. Last used some weeks ago - worked fine.

- plug into 110 v outlet and green ready light comes on
- on plugging into the leaf receptacle there is a beep
- none of the 3 blue lights came on
- after that, nothing
- changed charging timer and turned it off and on - no difference.

'ev connect' show charging status as 'not plugged in' or 'full'. The car was only about 1/3 charged. Could not get the charger to start charging.

drive to a local chargepoint and it charged fine there.

Help!

Perhaps this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dANrFCevQks

To summarize, check that your outlet is well grounded. Try a different outlet too, to confirm a grounding issue with your "regular" outlet.

To check that an outlet is grounded (but not how well) you can carefully touch the probes of a test light or multimeter in the Hot (small slot) slot and Ground socket in the outlet. No light or NO roughly 120 volt meter reading means no ground for that outlet. To see if the outlet box is grounded, place the probes in the Hot slot and firmly against the cover plate screw in the center of the outlet. A grounded box but not a grounded outlet usually means the grounding pigtail from the outlet to the box is absent or disconnected.

LeftieBiker said:
To check that an outlet is grounded (but not how well) you can carefully touch the probes of a test light or multimeter in the Hot (small slot) slot and Ground socket in the outlet. No light or roughly 120 volt meter reading means no ground for that outlet. To see if the outlet box is grounded, place the probes in the Hot slot and firmly against the cover plate screw in the center of the outlet. A grounded box but not a grounded outlet usually means the grounding pigtail from the outlet to the box is absent or disconnected.
I believe you meant "no light or roughly 0 volt meter reading means no ground for that outlet". On a grounded outlet you should get the same voltage from the hot(small slot) to ground as you see from the hot to the wide(neutral) slot. I'm guessing you knew it but just typed it wrong :)

Back