VinceMH
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 28 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 339157

What do these DTC's mean?

Sat May 06, 2017 9:30 am

I'v Googled and searched this forum, but haven't found any definite explanations. Any help greatly appreciated.

Dash Lights: Red triangle warning light, yellow triangle warning light, yellow car with exclamation point warning light. Car runs okay.

2014 LEAF SV
EVSE Upgrade
TCU Upgrade
Bought off lease Dec 2016
31k miles, 11 bars
Love not feeding diesel to the Ram monster truck!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: What do these DTC's mean?

Sat May 06, 2017 10:09 am

Start with the simple things related to the front left tire

1. Check your tyre pressure
2. Clear DTCs and see if they return
3. Check your TPMS tire pressure
4. Pull the tyre off and check connections of the various wires

Does the car have any history to suggest damage in that area ?
Does you Significant Other change the subject when the LEAF is brought up ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

VinceMH
Forum Supporter

Sat May 06, 2017 11:16 am

Tire pressures are okay.

I forgot to update the DTC's before screenshot. Here is an update.
The red triangle went off.

I got the TCU upgrade in January and it used to work. Now it won't connect. That's probably what the TCU message is about.
The St Angle Sen Calib might be the sensor that detects steering position. The reverse steering lines work, so not sure what's wrong.

What is the EV/HEV message?

I almost cleared the DTC's but the LeafSpy warning message changed my mind. Should I try that? Or is a trip to the dealer inevitable?

2014 LEAF SV
EVSE Upgrade
TCU Upgrade
31k miles, 11 bars

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Sat May 06, 2017 11:28 am

I had the EV System Shutoff DTC two days in a row when the new telematics unit failed to send charge complete messages after charging (worked fine for a month and then gave the errors). A low 12-volt battery can also cause CAN Bus communication errors. I would take it to the dealer and let them troubleshoot the telematics unit. If you don't want to go to that trouble, clear the DTCs and then disconnect the 12-volt battery for a few minutes to reset the TCU. The incomplete shutdown caused my 12-volt battery to run completely dead while I was out of town for a few days. That seemed to reset everything and the telematics unit has been working fine for the last 3 months. Also, the DTCs have never come back.

The steering angle error will probably clear if you turn the steering wheel to full lock in both directions so the sensor can calibrate itself. Low 12-volt battery can also contribute to this error.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

VinceMH
Forum Supporter

Sat May 06, 2017 12:28 pm

GerryAZ wrote:I had the EV System Shutoff DTC two days in a row when the new telematics unit failed to send charge complete messages after charging (worked fine for a month and then gave the errors). A low 12-volt battery can also cause CAN Bus communication errors. I would take it to the dealer and let them troubleshoot the telematics unit. If you don't want to go to that trouble, clear the DTCs and then disconnect the 12-volt battery for a few minutes to reset the TCU. The incomplete shutdown caused my 12-volt battery to run completely dead while I was out of town for a few days. That seemed to reset everything and the telematics unit has been working fine for the last 3 months. Also, the DTCs have never come back.

The steering angle error will probably clear if you turn the steering wheel to full lock in both directions so the sensor can calibrate itself. Low 12-volt battery can also contribute to this error.

That worked!! Telematics work too. Thank you very much!

Dealer is 1 hour away, which is an all day affair (charging time mostly). That was an easy decision to give this a try.

Again, thank you!
2014 LEAF SV
EVSE Upgrade
TCU Upgrade
31k miles, 11 bars

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun May 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Kudos, Gerry!
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

VinceMH
Forum Supporter

Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:16 pm

And for the rest of the story...

GerryAZ's fix worked for a few days until one morning when it wouldn't go in gear and most of the dash lights were lit. I pulled DTCs and found about 10, most of them pointing to low voltage. After reading other posts, I installed a new Coppertop battery (from Batteries Plus), cleared the DTCs and all has be fine for the last month. Hope this helps others who experience these symptoms. Much better fix than bringing to the dealer!

cheers!
2014 LEAF SV
EVSE Upgrade
TCU Upgrade
31k miles, 11 bars

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”