Leaf won't charge as it should

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ooescuhsuhtroov

I have had my 2013 Leaf for several months--I bought it used. It has 180000 miles approx. I set it to charge to 80%. AT first it did charge to 80--or within 5 points of 80. Then it started charging to less--70, 65, etc. For the last few days it doesn't seem to be charging at all. I plug in the trickle charger, the charging light comes on, and a half hour later when I come out to check, I find the charging light off and the blue charging lights on the top of the dash off as well. I restarted the process thus three times yesterday evening hoping my machine would catch my drift and start doing right by me. No dice. This morning I found it at the same level of charge as when I plugged in the charger yesterday afternoon. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if so, have they found a solution?
One thing else. This morning I noticed the red 12 v battery light on in the display.

ooescuhsuhtroov said:
I have had my 2013 Leaf for several months--I bought it used. It has 180000 miles approx. I set it to charge to 80%. AT first it did charge to 80--or within 5 points of 80. Then it started charging to less--70, 65, etc. For the last few days it doesn't seem to be charging at all. I plug in the trickle charger, the charging light comes on, and a half hour later when I come out to check, I find the charging light off and the blue charging lights on the top of the dash off as well. I restarted the process thus three times yesterday evening hoping my machine would catch my drift and start doing right by me. No dice. This morning I found it at the same level of charge as when I plugged in the charger yesterday afternoon. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if so, have they found a solution?
One thing else. This morning I noticed the red 12 v battery light on in the display.
I suggest overriding the charging timer (button on the dash) and/or plugging in a different EVSE to see if it is the car or the EVSE.

180000 miles??? That's got to be a record on a '13.

To be clear, for level 1 and 2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. On a '13+, it's at the top of the PDM stack under the hood. The thing you call a "trickle charger" isn't a charger. It's an EVSE. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=332668#p332668 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630.

And, to be clear, you're looking at the % state of charge display and not the stupid guess-o-meter ("distance to empty") on the right side, correct? % SoC display pointed out 56 seconds into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3vL0fLVpc.

cwerdna said:
180000 miles??? That's got to be a record on a '13.

To be clear, for level 1 and 2 AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. On a '13+, it's at the top of the PDM stack under the hood. The thing you call a "trickle charger" isn't a charger. It's an EVSE. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=332668#p332668 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630.

And, to be clear, you're looking at the % state of charge display and not the stupid guess-o-meter ("distance to empty") on the right side, correct? % SoC display pointed out 56 seconds into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3vL0fLVpc.

Well, I have done both. Usually I just look at the guess-o-meter but is check the SOC too. The sequence goes like this: I see by the guesser that I have not got the charge I was wxpecting so I then check the other. Usually they are pretty close toether--I mean, if the one says 77 miles, the other will say 75%.

I suggest overriding the charging timer (button on the dash) and/or plugging in a different EVSE to see if it is the car or the EVSE.[/quote]

The EVSE may be the culprit--the head is damaged in that the latch release is missing. I have to use a screwdriver blade to depress the back end of the latch so that the front end will lift off the catch.

ooescuhsuhtroov said:
The EVSE may be the culprit--the head is damaged in that the latch release is missing. I have to use a screwdriver blade to depress the back end of the latch so that the front end will lift off the catch.
The L1 EVSE is covered by the 5 year/60K EV system/powertrain warranty.

cwerdna said:
ooescuhsuhtroov said:
The L1 EVSE is covered by the 5 year/60K EV system/powertrain warranty.

How would I take advantage of this warranty? I am the second owner of this vehicle. Also--by the look of the EVSE, I would say that previous owner swung one end of it into a brick wall hard. I doubt that is warranty eligible damage--but it is worth a try.

It doesn't matter that you're the 2nd owner of the Leaf. As long as the Leaf has never been declared totaled or given a salvage title or had its odometer tampered with (complete list of conditions are in the warranty booklet), the coverage carries over to the owner(s), as long as the warranty hasn't expired or been otherwise voided.

Unfortunately, if it's obvious there was abuse or damage not caused by a defect, you're most likely out of luck.

You can buy L1 EVSEs from a bunch of different vendors and it doesn't need to be the original Nissan part.

Warranty coverage is doubtful if EVSE unit is physically damaged and car has 180k miles. EV system warranty expires at 60k miles. You could send it to EVSE Upgrade to see how much they would charge to repair and upgrade it. Have you tried charging the car at public L2 charging stations to verify the car itself is OK?

Davis95616Leaf said:
ooescuhsuhtroov said:
I suggest overriding the charging timer (button on the dash) and/or plugging in a different EVSE to see if it is the car or the EVSE.

Charging timer? Which of the ZILLION buttons in my 2013 Leaf is that? Most buttons I accidentally press just mess up my audio system! :-(

John Kuthe...

Back