Charger shutdown

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rduclos

This is about the preferred way to manually stop charging before a programmed termination by Leaf timer or 100% SOC.
The power to the EVSE can be shut off, or the J1772 plug can be removed from the Leaf receptacle.
When the J1772 latch release button is pressed this action is signaled to the Leaf which responds with audible beeps but does not terminate charging until the J1772 plug is completely pulled out. The question is, where and how is the current path broken? Is it by mechanical contacts of a relay, by a semiconductor inside the charger, or simply by separation of the J1772 plug contacts?

Does anyone here know?
(the issue of concern is arcing at the break point)

Actually, the Leaf rapidly ramps the charging current down to zero when the latch is depressed. Also, the contactor in the EVSE opens so the current is zero before you can pull the plug. These actions are in accordance with the J1772 standard and are necessary for safety. Opening the supply breaker while charging will result in the breaker interrupting the full charging current. By far, the best way to interrupt charging is to depress the latch and unplug the J1772 connector.

I have held the latch release down many seconds while watching the EVSE charging indicator showing continuing charging and the Leaf beeping repeatedly. Happens with both level 1 and level 2 EVSEs.

rduclos said:
I have held the latch release down many seconds while watching the EVSE charging indicator showing continuing charging and the Leaf beeping repeatedly. Happens with both level 1 and level 2 EVSEs.

If you had a way to measure actual charging current, you would see it drop to zero when you depress the latch. The Leaf beeps because it recognizes the latch has been depressed.

Well I do have a 120 volt power monitor, so I did what you suggested, Gerry, and you are right, at least using the original level-1 EVSE that came with the car (a 2014SL). Even though the EVSE charging indicator remains on the power consumed drops to zero when the latch release is depressed while still fully plugged in. For two years I have been unplugging the EVSE each day to control the SOC level after charge. I think I will start using the internal Leaf timer now. I currently mainly use an Aerovironment TurboCord level-2 EVSE. And I LOVE my Leaf!

Thank you, Gerry.

Back