Bubbles in windshield?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlgrey

I'll snap a picture tomorrow, but my windshield has become bubbly.

The bubbles are definitely inside the windshield, I've scratched pretty well at them both on the inside of the car and the exterior. They cannot be felt and are about a milimeter across.

A quick google search didn't turn anything up... Is this even possible?

2014 leaf S since I haven't updated my signature, about 24k miles. Stored outside in the sun (unfortunately no other option) and it's been pretty hot here relatively speaking, 80-90's.

I came across this image on a Reddit thread. The bubbles look like this, though not nearly as many:
V8PXSUj.jpg

Never seen this before. Windshields are usually two sheets of glass with a laminate layer between them. Maybe the heat is creating bubbles in whatever bonds the glass to the laminate.

earlgrey said:
2014 leaf S since I haven't updated my signature, about 24k miles. Stored outside in the sun (unfortunately no other option) and it's been pretty hot here relatively speaking, 80-90's.

That's obviously a defect.
Don't worry about the signature...update your profile: we don't know anything about the car or your location.

Profile and siggy updated. Anyone know how to look up delivery date from VIN? I purchased used.

The only reasonable guess I've come across is contamination between the laminate layers as DNAinaGoodWay suggests, but googling photos of those defects turns up a different visual result--more of an air pocket--rather than these perfectly spherical bubbles. Also the Reddit thread had no conclusions.

I should add, there is no damage to the windshield anywhere. I live in my head most of the time so I'm not the most perceptive individual, but I first noticed the bubbles about three weeks ago and they seem to be spreading.

These photos were the best I could do:

285AWhp.jpg

W1Qe8Jw.jpg

rY0uId2.jpg

iaHMvDL.jpg

Do you know if it is a Nissan original windshield or aftermarket replacement? I see from you signature that you purchased the car used. I have seen issues with aftermarket windshields (quality varies--some are good, some not). As far as I know, there have been no reports on this forum for internal bubble issues with Nissan original windshields.

Maintenance history didn't indicate a replaced windshield. I can pull the part number from the window; any good references to compare it against to verify that it's original?

if it is original it will have a NISSAN marking on it, i don't think aftermarket ones usually do. send us a pic of the marking either way, i can compare to mine .

GerryAZ said:
Do you know if it is a Nissan original windshield or aftermarket replacement? I see from you signature that you purchased the car used. I have seen issues with aftermarket windshields (quality varies--some are good, some not). As far as I know, there have been no reports on this forum for internal bubble issues with Nissan original windshields.

Bingo. Another reason to demand OEM glass.

Back