Level 2 charging fails, but level 1 works?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tn77

On Saturday morning, I woke up and my car hadn't been charged (it's on a timer). I tried to cancel the timer and charge right away, but the ChargePoint Home EVSE started making a clicking sound and the car was getting no charge. I assumed the issue was my ChargePoint Home station because a trickle-charge still worked.

Today I drove to another Level 2 charging station... the car still doesn't charge!

Right now I have the car at a Nissan dealer. But this is odd, isn't it? Why would level-1 charging work but level-2 charging fails? It's the same connection.

This is a known issue (failed diode) with the onboard charger, and should be covered under the emissions warranty for 5 years after the in service date.

Unfortunately I'm past the five-year date.

It's a failed VCM -- vehicle charging module -- and the cost to replace is ~$980.

:(

Very odd:
Level 1 - works
Level 2 - fails
Level 3 - works

It can also be the trigger switch in the EVSE plug - if it fails to close (due to bending or weakened spring), then the charging won't start.

I got the VCM replaced, and now the situation is:
- Charges at Nissan
- Doesn't charge at home
- Doesn't charge at other public stations

All at Level 2.

What on earth could be going on?

tn77 said:
I got the VCM replaced, and now the situation is:
- Charges at Nissan
- Doesn't charge at home
- Doesn't charge at other public stations

All at Level 2.

What on earth could be going on?
Bad diode. The Nissan L1 EVSE and the Nissan branded L2s at the dealer do not do the diode check, so they work even if it's bad. Almost every other EVSE in the world does the check as it's part of the standard. They either lied about replacing it, or the replacement is bad.

You can check it yourself with a multimeter. Check for continuity between the pilot pin (pin 4 lower right) and the ground pin (pin 3, bottom). In one direction you should get a low ohm reading, in the other it should be very high or infinite. This is a test the dealer should also be able to do, and it should be in their procedures.

See here: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24138

While the dealer SHOULD be able to test for this diode, my super-master-EV tech at the local dealer has no knowledge of this diode, and has no idea what I'm talking about. He can check codes. He doesn't do things that a random driver off the street asks about...

AeroVironment chargers don't check for this. Other chargers do. And the Leaf seems to be able to use and then not use that diode for some reason. Almost like they're gaming the system in some odd way, to make AV the only charger that functions.

Note that when you put your tester probes into the port to check for the diode, there are insulator caps on the ends of each pin. You need to hit the conductive pin BEHIND that insulator cap, or you will always read zero resistance.

darelldd said:
See here: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24138

While the dealer SHOULD be able to test for this diode, my super-master-EV tech at the local dealer has no knowledge of this diode, and has no idea what I'm talking about. He can check codes. He doesn't do things that a random driver off the street asks about...

AeroVironment chargers don't check for this. Other chargers do. And the Leaf seems to be able to use and then not use that diode for some reason. Almost like they're gaming the system in some odd way, to make AV the only charger that functions.

Note that when you put your tester probes into the port to check for the diode, there are insulator caps on the ends of each pin. You need to hit the conductive pin BEHIND that insulator cap, or you will always read zero resistance.

This has to be one of the craziest LEAF threads I have seen in a long time. I have to think you need a new tech.

Right. Yet my car does not have the range to reach the next dealership. Nor can I charge it publicly. Great, right?

Sure I have a CHAdeMO port. I just don't have any functional chargers near enough to me to ever use.

Plus I want to treat my batteries really well so that everyone else gets a fresh new battery except for me!

I'd file a complaint directly with Nissan in that case. It's broken and they need to fix it. It's a fairly common issue and they have certainly replaced chargers because of it before.

Except that Nissan does not consider this broken.... because it works on AeroVironment chargers.

It's a bit like buying a gasoline car and being told that it will only run on Shell gasoline.

I will give the dealer one more chance on Tuesday. And then I will begin making some noise.

darelldd said:
Except that Nissan does not consider this broken.... because it works on AeroVironment chargers.
You talking about Aerovironment's L2 EVSEs or their CHAdeMO DC fast chargers?

FWIW, I've seen it written that the Panasonic L1 EVSE (at least the ones that came with '11 and '12 Leafs) do NOT do a diode check.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=285369#p285369
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=402195#p402195

For '13+, the Panasonic EVSE is a new revision that looks very different and is smaller. Don't know about those and diode checks.

cwerdna said:
You talking about Aerovironment's L2 EVSEs or their CHAdeMO DC fast chargers?

FWIW, I've seen it written that the Panasonic L1 EVSE (at least the ones that came with '11 and '12 Leafs) do NOT do a diode check.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=285369#p285369
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=402195#p402195

For '13+, the Panasonic EVSE is a new revision that looks very different and is smaller. Don't know about those and diode checks.

The entire discussion is about the on-board J1772 charging system. CHAdeMO has nothing to do with this, and I'm sure would work fine (I find and hear about non-functional CHAdeMO chargers all the time, but I'm not sure I've heard of the car's system not working.)

And yes, the Panasonic brick that came with my car does not check for the diode, and indeed does charge. Interesting about the change in 13. Still made by Panasonic? I'm surprised that they don't source from AerVironment, since that's the EVSE supplier that Nissan talks about as being the only one "certified" to work with the Leaf.

Back