darelldd
Delivery Date: 28 Jan 2015

Re: 2011 Not Charging. Bad diode. Aerovironment Works.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:29 am

2k1Toaster wrote:
Sounds like it should be pretty simple to show the dealership. Look, no diode and it charges the new shiny leaf on your lot. No diode and my car doesn't work. Add a diode, it now works on both. One of these things is not like the other, fix the OBC Nissan...

Ha! You're confusing this with a customer service experience that cares! My car charges - on basically ONE EVSE. The one at the dealer shop. And it charges on the little110V device that came with my car. Because it charges on the two Nissan devices (that fail to check for that diode), the dealer (and the company by the way!) claim there's nothing wrong with the car, only with the untold millions of installed EVSEs in the world that actually conform to the J1772 communication standard.

They are, of course, willing to replace my OBC at my expense if I really want to be compatible with non-Nissan-branded EVSEs.
Darell, the EVnut >http://evnut.com<
Email me: Domain is gmail.com. Name is darelldd@. Really. I hate PM.
2011 while SL with Chademo... new to me in 2015.

darelldd

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:41 am

Here's what I've done. The orange wire is the pilot wire from the cable assembly that terminates in the J1772 connector. The blue wire is the pilot wire from the CS-40. You see how easy this was. I just put the diode inline with that wire. Taped for insulation, and I was pretty obvious where the band was, and which way to the car. :-)

Now, if installing it in the car were this easy. I mean this took me all of 30 seconds.

Works!

darelldd

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:10 pm

I am happy to announce that the fix is in place, and working perfectly. I'll put a few pictures together that may help others do this in the future. I'm pretty dang happy about this! The entire project took me less than half an hour, including taking pictures, dropping screws, cleaning up, and opening a cold IPA.

That half hour (and really no other expense because the diode, the shrink tube and solder that I used were all in stock here) has saved me countless trips to, and hours at the dealership, plus probably thousands of dollars for a new OBC and labor. The best news? The diode I used is well beyond the spec of the OEM part, and so should survive where the last one failed. In fact, I plan to boldly go charge on those pesky GE stations again, and see what happens.

RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:49 pm

darelldd wrote:I am happy to announce that the fix is in place, and working perfectly.
Congratulations, Darell! I'm glad to hear you have conquered the diode issue. I'll look forward to seeing your pictures showing your fix.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
2011 miles at purchase. 10K miles on Apr 14, 2013. 20K miles (55.7Ah) on Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah) on Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah) on Feb 8, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

darelldd

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 pm

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Wow. Awesome! You didn't even need to screw with the OBC itself.

Re: the GE Wattstations, those pesky decent looking black home units I always tell people to stay away from, as it was unclear if the issue was finally resolved, given the amount of finger pointing and ambiguity.

About a year or two ago, someone on a Leaf FB group bought a used or had an '11 or '12 Leaf and and wanted to buy a used GE Wattsation (the black pesky ones). I advised against it, esp. on an '11 and '12 Leaf, I pointed her to all the stories on the net at the time (e.g. from TTAC and EV sites), some of threads here but that woman would have none of it.

From her behavior, I could only infer that she seemed to have a mistaken idea that somehow, the car or EVSE would be updated (e.g. by magic or OTA) and that it wouldn't be a problem. She seemed to not understand the concepts of EVSE vs. charger, let alone anything about J1772. Worse yet, someone else in a reply posted some incorrect info. I asked for the source but the original poster deleted the entire thread, taking all our replies and conversation with it. :evil:

Too bad I don't think i copy and pasted any of that stuff nor took any screenshots as I didn't expect a thread to get deleted. So, I don't remember the name of that person.

I think she started another thread berated me again about the GE Wattsation, telling me to stop bringing it up, which I did. If I remembered her name, I'd at least know that I shouldn't waste my time giving her advice or chiming in, given the treatment I got.

I think I later recall a woman (possibly even the same person) on an FB group having trouble w/their black GE Wattsation. Haha.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

ElectricEddy
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:23 pm

darelldd wrote:https://darelldd.smugmug.com/Automotive/Electric-Vehicle/n-7QXrQ/Nissan-Leaf-charging/i-rcsHp8p

Some pictures with captions.

Great write up , thanks.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 pm

darelldd wrote:https://darelldd.smugmug.com/Automotive/Electric-Vehicle/n-7QXrQ/Nissan-Leaf-charging/i-rcsHp8p

Some pictures with captions.
Sweet, thanks.

Your photo #13 looks like a nice solder on the right side; I hope the final is better on the left ;-)
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

darelldd

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:59 pm

Well, you made me go look at the pics again.

The joint on the right has a bit too much solder. The joint on the left is actually higher quality. Regardless, both of them are fully bonded. Fear not. Neither of those solder joints will be the failure point!

Four charges later on the two EVSEs that would not charge the car before....All is well

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 am

Just goes to show how much I know about soldering.
Sorry for the worry.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”