keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

B1018 Code - Passenger Seat sensor

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 am

Has anyone else had a problem with the occupancy sensor in their passenger seat going bad? I had the dealer quote me $2000 to replace the COMPLETE SEAT! :shock: When this happened in my Prius, this was simply a matter of recalibrating the sensor, but evidently the way Nissan does it you have to replace the whole seat, which includes the sensor. As it is, the passenger airbag is not functional, so why is this not a safety recall issue?? Upon Googling, this seems to be a common Nissan/Infiniti issue. They issued a recall for some 2007-2009 models, but that is all I could find. I thought the manufacture was liable for airbag issues?
FYI: for anyone else that may get this code, and you don't want to pay $2000 to a dealer, you really only have 2 choices as far as I know:
1) Get a used seat from a junkyard, or
2) As I did, buy a bypass kit that replaces the seat sensor. I found a Youtube video where the mechanic explained how he resolved the issue, and how he found a company in Ireland that makes a little box that plugs into the harness under the seat. It puts out the correct timing pulses to tell the computer that someone is always sitting in the passenger seat. There are only 2 downsides to this $97 solution:
a) when no one is sitting in the seat, the read triangle and seatbelt warning signs are lit on the dash, indicating that the passenger has not put on their seatbelt. If this really annoys you, you can reach over and buckle the seatbelt.
b) if a small child would sit in the front seat, the airbag would be armed, even if he is below the minimum weight. Airbag360 has informed me that the default mode is that all airbags are activated with a code B1018, so really this part hasn't changed. Legally, they can't add a switch to turn off the airbag, although I seem to recall several cars that had a switch on the dash or glovebox just for this reason.
If I had more time, I would tear the seat apart and try to figure out the root of the problem. But, as it is, I am happy with this $97 solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUpdkVLDIU
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: B1018 Code - Passenger Seat sensor

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:49 am

There is a recall out for this, and it should be fixed (NOT by replacing the whole seat) for free.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:28 pm

We had problems with this and a recall on the craptastical Sentra, they did a software update so now the light on the dash is on whenever the front seat is unoccupied. Something about the "occupant classification system", I think the issue is the sensor in the seat can't tell the difference between an empty seat and a child. I didn't pay anything , then again this car is still under warranty - but I'd be surprised if it isn't covered even after the warranty. Nissan clearly has a supplier issue here.

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/30/nis ... ag-sensor/
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Safety recalls don't depend on warranty coverage - they are free.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”