Altontoth
Delivery Date: 28 May 2016

2013 S Reverse lights out?

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Been lurking here since the spring, PM'd a couple people, but basically my first question. Both the reverse lights on my 2013 S are out. I figured it was just the bulbs, but I pulled the taillights off and the bulbs seem fine! Even tried swapping the bulbs JUST in case, but no dice! The entire rest of the lights on the car work perfectly. Thoughts? I can find a relay, but not a fuse, for the reverse lights, and I'll try putting a multimeter on it the next time I have a chance...but?
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

-Hopeful Upgrades: fog lights, LED headlights, swap 3.3kW for 6.6kw charger, extra USB charging in rear

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: 2013 S Reverse lights out?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:16 pm

Besides checking for voltage at the sockets, check the resistance on the bulbs themselves to confirm they haven’t burned out.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Altontoth

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Sorry, that's what I meant by swapping the bulbs. Replaced them with new ones and they still didn't work.

Is that relay it for controls / protection? I suppose I could also look for a bad ground, but I would think everything in that lens would sharr a ground connection... And all the other lights are working great.
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

-Hopeful Upgrades: fog lights, LED headlights, swap 3.3kW for 6.6kw charger, extra USB charging in rear

Holli
Leaf Number: 416258

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:36 pm

I am also having this same problem with my reverse lights in my 2013 S. In addition to this problem, the back up camera is also not switching on anymore. I presume both of these are linked as they both started happening around the same time. Do you have a backup camera? Is it working?
2013 Nissan LEAF S
68000Km
Vancouver,BC
Level 1 Nissan Charger

Altontoth

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm

No, it's as basic as basic gets. I couldnt argue for what I paid for it, but if I knew then what I know now I might have picked a different car. :-) I haven't even had a chance to look at it since posting this. Ill put a meter on it probably tomorrow and see if its a power or ground issue. The problem is that it takes two people to do it because someone has to stand on the brakes so you don't get run over. :-/
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

Holli

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

I feel like my problem must stem from a blown fuse, but just like you, I could only find the relay for “rev lamp” and it looks fine. I plan to look at all the fuses again more closely when I have the time.
2013 Nissan LEAF S
68000Km
Vancouver,BC
Level 1 Nissan Charger

Altontoth

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Have you figured it out? I don't have a garage, and the weather has been HORRENDOUS the past few days. Unfortunately diagnosing this is a two person job, lest my car take off without me in reverse. I want to try putting a hand on the relay while someone shifts into reverse to see if it clicks. That will be an instant tell.

In the meantime, I put in an email to the dealership (Westwood Honda in Port Moody) where I bought the car to see if they've heard of this problem at all.
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

Holli

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 am

No, I haven’t figured it out yet. I have had a lot to do so have just been putting it off. Coincidentally, I also purchased mine at Westwood Honda.
2013 Nissan LEAF S
68000Km
Vancouver,BC
Level 1 Nissan Charger

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:57 pm

I wonder if it relates to the DRL wiring that was added when the Leaf was imported from the US. I'm pretty sure Westwood Honda imports all their Leafs...

FWIW, if either of you need assistance (ie stomping on the brake pedal for you while you troubleshoot), I'm happy to help (I live in Port Moody). Just send me a private message to arrange where you want to meet.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Altontoth

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm wondering that too. My car doesn't have daytime running lights. Or automatic taillights, or anything like that (it's as base as you can get). If I don't remember to turn my headlight switch on, the outside of my vehicle is pitch black at night. I've spent most of today calling around, and visiting Canadian Tire. Westwood Honda has all of their cars inspected and modified at the Canadian Tire in White Rock. The Canadian Tire where I am was able to look up ALL the cars that they have had inspected / converted....and mine was not among them. Honda tells me that this one was one of very few that went through a broker to get here (they buy all theirs directly at auction now), and that they can't find much of a paper trail of proof that my car was actually modified. It DID have it's inspection decal so they figure that meant it was done according to law.

Honda instructed me to take the car to my local Canadian Tire, who should consult with the White Rock CT, in order to do the install. It can then be charged to their 'account' or what have you at the White Rock CT. I told this to my local guy who basically told me to pound sand, either pay for it myself or take it to White Rock, they 'don't play the chasing game'. He was also quite adamant that I should take the car to a Nissan service centre to have the work done, as the wiring is there, it's just a software switch, and it'll be cheaper than CT doing it (basically did everything he could to talk me out of bringing him the job...and it worked)....so I phone up North Shore Nissan (closest to me), who say they don't do that, and don't have access to the kits, and that I should take it to Canadian Tire. The last time they did a conversion, it was 5 hours at a shop rate of $132/hour. Oi.

I appreciate the offer of pair of legs to hold the brake for me; unfortunately I'm on the Sunshine Coast, so I have to try and pick a time when both the wife and I are home and have nowhere to be, and it's daylight out (I know that sounds like a pitiful excuse. lol). I'm going to poke around in the wiring a little more and see if I can't find a way to both make sure my taillights are on all the time, as well as see what's possible with DRL. I'll just fit them myself and be done with it.

Why isn't this a mandatory feature worldwide? What do car makers think they're REALLY saving by not making these features standard??
2013 Leaf S w/o QC
Stock Configuration

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”