Wrecked Leaf with no Intelligent key. How do you put it in neutral then?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braebyrn

Leaf Supporting Member
Just picked up a low mileage 2013 wrecked Leaf. They didn't have the intelligent key fob on them when I got it, but they are getting it. However, I need to move it off my trailer. Any other ideas other than to put a dolly under it? I have the Leaf Spy Pro, but don't know how to turn on the car without the key fob..... I also own a 2012 Leaf. Can any of the electronics be swapped in temporarily to make it come on?

Thanks

How did you get it on the trailer?

I don't think you can even put it in accessory mode without the key.

I told the guy to be very careful when he picked it up and watched him load it onto the trailer. Who knows how they took care of it when they dropped it off.

Seems like there is a part that you can unbolt and remove the electronic parking pawl. I think it is on the drivers side near the front of the traction motor, but not really positive of that.

It looks like the parking actuator can be unbolted, but I don't know if it will actually allow the wheels to turn?

Found this in the service manual......

Parking Actuator
• The parking actuator is installed above the reduction gear.
• The parking actuator is operated by the signal from the electric shift control module and locks/unlocks the
parking mechanism in the reducer.
• The parking actuator consists of the motor, encoder, angle sensor, and actuator reduction gear.

So, I am going to unbolt the parking actuator and turn the shaft counterclockwise to unlock. Then I will park it by turning the shaft clockwise and then replace the parking actuator.

Does anybody know of a reason why this wouldn't work, or cause damage in anyway?

I have seen so many cars just dragged slowly with the wheels locked. Of course it would depend on how far you have to move it and the surface it is on. Often I see the tow drivers throw shovelfuls of gravel or sand in front of the tires to help it slide easier, but they never take the time to properly unlock the wheels.

The original intelligent key fob was finally given to the wrecking yard and then to me. The cars drive train is repaired and the codes cleared to allow the car to function again. Was really surprised at the miles and battery condition after it was charged.

Following up.... the car has 37,343 miles on it. Battery 264 GIDS, 94% @ SOC 97.2
Not sure what to do with the car now that I have another one in the garage that I picked up on Friday. Maybe a donor car for an electric boat, or a powerwall? Hmmm, so many things I could do with it.

Before moving any wrecked Leaf, remove the high voltage battery disconnect (accessible form the rear seats). Any tow operator should know this, but they may be lazy.

Back