2012 Leaf charging issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tygunz

Hi everyone,

I've been scouring the web trying to find an answer to the issue I've been having but haven't nailed it down. The other day after charging my Leaf with my Dousida charger, which is at my house, I drove to work and plugged into the factory brick that I use to recharge while I'm at work. When work was done for the day I noticed that my car didn't charge at all so I figured I forgot to turn off the timer after putting it on the charger. From there I went to the local Nissan dealer to use their Chademo charger for a quick charge and then drove home. When I got home and tried to plug my car back into the Dousida charger I noticed that it had no power and the circuit was tripped. After resetting the circuit I tried to plug the charger back in and got one beep and one flashing blue light before everything turned off. I did this several times but had no luck as it would initially turn on and then a few seconds later I would hear a click and it would turn off and the fault light showed up on the Dousida. It is on a 20 amp circuit. Could the Dousida have fried the OBC before the circuit was tripped?

The next thing I did was take it to the local Nissan dealer and they ran some tests and determined that my on board charger was bad and needed to be replaced. I'm sure you all know that to replace one of these is going to be around $2400. After doing some scouring I came across the "Diode" issue regarding the OBC and decided I would explore that route. From what I can gather the AeroVironment charger at the dealer and the factory Brick charger would bypass the Diode issue so I tried both chargers and got the same result. Still not charging unless I use the Chademo chargers. Am I in trouble here and needing to replace the whole OBC system? Are their any repair facilities outside of the dealer in the Phoenix are who can take a look at my car? Any info you guys could pass along would be greatly appreciated!

Well yesterday I went to the dealer and unhooked the terminals on the 12v battery and let it sit for 15 min. After that I reconnected everything and tried to charge on both the Chademo and AeroVironment EVSE but had no luck with either. I got a communications error from the Chademo telling me I needed to "turn the vehicle off" which of course was off. The AeroVironment EVSE would connect for about 3 seconds and give me one blue light on the dash and then click off.

So is this the end of the line for me and time to buy a new OBC? Anyone experience anything like this?

Tygunz said:
So is this the end of the line for me and time to buy a new OBC? Anyone experience anything like this?

Unfortunately, the short answer looks like "yes". The fact that the AE EVSE won't even work suggests it's not just a diode issue. You might want to invest in a better EVSE after you get everything repaired.

Stanton said:
Tygunz said:

Unfortunately, the short answer looks like "yes". The fact that the AE EVSE won't even work suggests it's not just a diode issue. You might want to invest in a better EVSE after you get everything repaired.

Thanks for the response. Yes I've already contacted EVSE upgrade and will be sending my brick out asap. Do you think it's probable that the dousida EVSE caused this to happen?

Tygunz said:
Stanton said:
Tygunz said:

Thanks for the response. Yes I've already contacted EVSE upgrade and will be sending my brick out asap. Do you think it's probable that the dousida EVSE caused this to happen?

It would be nice to have some proof of how it failed before making such a statement, but I can say this: reports of problems with the EVSE Upgrade (which I have been using for 6+ years) are few and far between.

Back