Leaver

No Brakes!

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Well... almost no brakes. I had a strange thing happen today. I got in and drove about 3 miles to my new house I'm building up a steep hill. Got there, parked and proceeded to do stuff inside. About 30 minutes later I had to run back into town, so I got in and started up as I always do, (with my foot on the brake pedal), put it into drive and immediately it started to roll forward... with my foot on the brake! This was more than a bit unnerving as my road immediately heads down a very steep gravel drive. All I could do to stop the car was engage the emergency brake and then put it back into park.

I noticed that my ABS light was flashing on the dash. So I carefully put it back into drive, took off the e-brake and again it was like I had no brakes... except that the ABS was pulsating whenever I just barely touched the brakes, and if I stomped the brake almost to the floor, then the car would come to a complete stop. But as soon as I eased off of the brake, again the ABS would pulsate, but not stop the car at all. The only way I could get the car to stop was to literally push the pedal all the way to the floor. So I VERY carefully got down my drive to level ground, turned the car completely off and tried to figure out what the heck was going on. After not finding anything obvious, I started the car again, and again had the same problem. Turned the car off and again tried to think about it. After about 15 minutes, I turned it back on, and now all seemed to be fine! I was able to drive back to town and all seemed to be well.

So what the heck was that all about? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It was/is cold out (about -5 Fahrenheit with a -30 wind-chill), but it has been like this before with no issues. Let me know if you have any ideas and many thanks as always.

RePo
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 404201

Re: No Brakes!

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Found my super black 2013 Leaf.

Leaver

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Thank you RePo... that sounds like the issue. Now the only problem is that the closest Nissan Dealer to me is about 1000 miles away! I guess I'll have to get hold of Nissan and see if it can be remedied some other way?

Leaver

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Just got finished talking with Nissan North America. I explained to them that the closest dealer to me, (I'm in Skagway, AK), was in Bellingham, WA and that it would require an expensive Ferry or Barge trip to get it to them. I was told by an independent mechanic in Juneau Alaska that on safety recalls such as this, Nissan is required to transport your vehicle to an authorized service center for people in remote locations such as me. Well, Nissan essentially told me "tough sh__t". We will not pay to transport your vehicle to a service center.

So I guess I just don't drive it when it cold outside :roll: ... or if I do, make sure I bring along an anchor that I can throw out the window if I need to brake.

This has been my first issue in which I had to deal with Nissan. Have to say... I'm not impressed.

brotherjethro
Delivery Date: 03 May 2017

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm

It certainly sounds like you have the recall issue. But before you give up, do yourself a favor and check the 12V lead-acid battery. There are dozens of threads on this board about the crazy stuff that happens when that battery goes bad, including brake system failures.
2013 Pearl White SV, bought used in 2017 with only 5100 miles. Vancouver, WA.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm

brotherjethro wrote:It certainly sounds like you have the recall issue. But before you give up, do yourself a favor and check the 12V lead-acid battery. There are dozens of threads on this board about the crazy stuff that happens when that battery goes bad, including brake system failures.

+1 on the battery check.

Also, it looks like there's a Nissan in Whitehorse. Is it not possible for you to get serviced there? The brake relay recall was software update only, iirc.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Leaver

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Nubo wrote:
brotherjethro wrote:It certainly sounds like you have the recall issue. But before you give up, do yourself a favor and check the 12V lead-acid battery. There are dozens of threads on this board about the crazy stuff that happens when that battery goes bad, including brake system failures.

+1 on the battery check.

Also, it looks like there's a Nissan in Whitehorse. Is it not possible for you to get serviced there? The brake relay recall was software update only, iirc.

Yes... the Nissan dealer in Whitehorse (about 120 miles from me), in theory could do the work and I'm planning on checking with them. But, from past experience with other cars I've owned, the Canadian branches of auto manufactures are usually not keen on doing warranty or recall work on US vehicles. Also, I know that the Whitehorse dealer doesn't even know what a LEAF is. They don't sell them because nobody in the Yukon Territory is crazy enough to even consider an EV ;) And also, I still have to get it up there, and that is not an easy proposition since there is NOTHING between here and there except a very steep mountain pass, (with mountain goats, bears, moose, and this time of year, -40 degree air temps), and no places to recharge. So still a challenge, but I do plan to give them a call tomorrow. I suppose I could always arrange for an expensive tow if necessary.

Thanks

BrockWI
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 423875

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm

+1 on check the 12v battery. If you can, charge it externally and make sure it is fully charged. If the issue doesn't go away at least you can rule out a simple fix. I know when our 12v is dead we have all sort of weird things happen, even though the car starts and one of the times we had no brakes, but we had all kinds of other warning lights on, on the dash. Charged up the 12v and that fixed it all.
3 kw solar pv - XW6048 - eight L16's
4 ton GSHP
2003 VW TDI 180k miles - 52 mpg lifetime
evse level 2 - Clipper Creek HSC-40
2013 S model with QC package Mar of 2013
@70k miles - 56.56Ahr - 86 SOH - 82.55 Hx - 245 GID

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 pm

I am in agreement that it could be a weak 12 volt battery. The same thing with the brakes has happened to me in the past and can be quite unnerving.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Before you take it to the dealer, check your VIN with the recall check website:

https://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin/#/#/Home

If the recall hasn't been addressed on your LEAF, it should list that.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”