dkostel
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 am
Delivery Date: 20 May 2016
Leaf Number: 6440

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:33 am

RegGuheert wrote:This is why I asked about the heater in the LEAF. That is the only part of the car that I can think of that can consume a large amount of power continuously. If it is programmed to warm the car that takes real power in the cold weather. But even then it should not run more than about an hour each day in the coldest weather.


I don't program the heater to warm the car (actually I could never make that work on my car). But thanks for the info, it sounds like it couldn't be the car or the charger. I will look elsewhere.

smkettner
Posts: 7064
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am

For best answers you need to post the last 12 months usage in kWh along with what utility and rate plan you have.
A tiered rate could be putting you into some high cost electricity.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

dkostel
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 am
Delivery Date: 20 May 2016
Leaf Number: 6440

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:13 pm

smkettner wrote:For best answers you need to post the last 12 months usage in kWh along with what utility and rate plan you have.
A tiered rate could be putting you into some high cost electricity.


It is the kWh that has increased by 64% over the last January, and I'm on the same plan. I've ordered a usage monitor so I can figure out the culprit. I suspect the old refrigerator.
Thanks

SageBrush
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Is it possible to pre-heat a LEAF all day long (inadvertently) ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:21 pm

SageBrush wrote:Is it possible to pre-heat a LEAF all day long (inadvertently) ?
I don't think so. My observation is that when you use a timer it starts 30 minutes before the time you program in. If you start climate control from the app, my understanding is that it will shut off after two hours when plugged in.

I think that if you want to run the heater continuously you need to put the car in READY mode and turn on the heater. But I don't think you can do this plugged in, so you can only use up whatever energy is in the battery.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

SageBrush
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:02 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Is it possible to pre-heat a LEAF all day long (inadvertently) ?
I don't think so. My observation is that when you use a timer it starts 30 minutes before the time you program in. If you start climate control from the app, my understanding is that it will shut off after two hours when plugged in.

I think that if you want to run the heater continuously you need to put the car in READY mode and turn on the heater. But I don't think you can do this plugged in, so you can only use up whatever energy is in the battery.

It has not been cold enough this winter to bother with pre-heating, but IIRC we would pre-heat last winter with the car plugged in. I can try it again to be sure if OP thinks this might be going on in his home. The possibility is probably only relevant to LEAF owners without telematics.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Electricity usage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm

SageBrush wrote:It has not been cold enough this winter to bother with pre-heating, but IIRC we would pre-heat last winter with the car plugged in. I can try it again to be sure if OP thinks this might be going on in his home. The possibility is probably only relevant to LEAF owners without telematics.
Why? Even if telematics works, the timer is more convenient if you have a regular departure time.

My wife uses the climate-control timer every day and it comes on almost exactly 30 minutes before her departure. (FWIW, it also appears to cause the charging timer to start earlier than it would otherwise so that charging is completed BEFORE the climate control comes on.)
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”