Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Nissan admits problems with telematics, is manufacturing a new part to replace defective units

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Nubo wrote:I had the free replacement done on my 2015 and since then I've never actually bothered to set up CarWings again. At first it was laziness, then I started reading about the problems so I've just left it alone. I find I really don't miss CarWings all that much. Or more specifically I do miss some of the functions but the implementation was poor enough that I find it's not much of a loss overall.

I used it 3 times today: plugged in at lunch (can't pass up "free" charging) and needed status updates.
The truth is, with the (new) modem and (new) iOS app, requests are much faster. Some of it may just be a better app, but some of it is definitely the faster transmission speeds for a 3G modem. I notice that charging station updates (and even driving data uploads) are much faster than they were before.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: Nissan admits problems with telematics, is manufacturing a new part to replace defective units

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Stanton wrote:
Nubo wrote:I had the free replacement done on my 2015 and since then I've never actually bothered to set up CarWings again. At first it was laziness, then I started reading about the problems so I've just left it alone. I find I really don't miss CarWings all that much. Or more specifically I do miss some of the functions but the implementation was poor enough that I find it's not much of a loss overall.

I used it 3 times today: plugged in at lunch (can't pass up "free" charging) and needed status updates.
The truth is, with the (new) modem and (new) iOS app, requests are much faster. Some of it may just be a better app, but some of it is definitely the faster transmission speeds for a 3G modem. I notice that charging station updates (and even driving data uploads) are much faster than they were before.

Yeah, maybe I'll set it up. Not ALL of the upgraded units are defective, I take it?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 am

Nubo wrote:Not ALL of the upgraded units are defective, I take it?

As far as I know, there seems to be a bug in the firmware. I would expect to need to pull the audio fuse four times a year to keep it working.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:44 am

Nubo wrote:Yeah, maybe I'll set it up. Not ALL of the upgraded units are defective, I take it?

The defect doesn't prevent it from working. It will work just fine up... until till the point locks up and stops giving updates, after which you need to pull the fuse to avoid draining the 12V battery.

I see no measurable difference in speed of updates between the 2G and 3G radios. It still takes almost a minute to get an update from the car (if it succeeds, which it still often doesn't).
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17) 31K miTesla S 75D (3/17) 20K mi
Model 3 reservation (invited to order 1/18)

Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 am

WetEV wrote:

As far as I know, there seems to be a bug in the firmware. I would expect to need to pull the audio fuse four times a year to keep it working.

I haven't had to do a "fuse pull" (over 6 months) since I deleted all my "saved charging locations" (including my home).
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Stanton wrote:
WetEV wrote:

I haven't had to do a "fuse pull" (over 6 months) since I deleted all my "saved charging locations" (including my home).

Thanks I'll give this a try. Weather is getting warm and turning on the climate control on the 18th tee will be a nice thing. ;)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”