2011 Leaf fails to charge at chargepoint stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothsahn

I just bought a used 2011 Nissan Leaf about 2 months ago. It charges every single time on the provided Level 1 EVSE (110V) that I have at my house. I just plug it in and it charges. I do have a timer set, but it's from something like 5:05AM until 5:00 AM to 80%. I only set the timer so that it stops at 80% and doesn't fully charge. If I want to fully charge, I can hit the immediate charge button before plugging in and then it'll go to 100%.

However, when I plug in at level 2 chargers around town from Chargepoint, I get an intermittent experience. Sometimes it charges right away, sometimes not. If it doesn't work, it usually says "Waiting for Vehicle" and never starts charging. I've noticed that lifting up the handle sometimes resolves the problem and gets it to start charging.

While it says "Waiting for vehicle" on the chargepoint station, the car never responds. When I plug the handle into the charge port, the car makes no beeps, none of the charging lights illuminate--nothing. It's like I never plugged the handle in at all. However, when it works, the car does do a series of lights and chirps and charges at the full 3.3KW rate (I don't have a 6.6 KW charger).

I attached my LeafSpy and I see 2 codes that might be related:
B29A0 296C CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
P3173 00C6 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236

I also have two other codes present:
U1266 0208 MULTI AV TCU Conn AV-92 (I think this means the 2G telematics unit I have doesn't have connectivity?)
B1018 0008 AIR BAG Occupant Sens [Unit Fail] SRC-41

I believe the occupancy sensor is a failing unit, as every time my son (he's 250+ pounds) sits in the passenger seat, it triggers, but I wanted to note that in case it was related somehow.

Anyone know why I might be having trouble charging? I've taken it into the dealership and they said I have the latest firmware on all the modules and everything is great--which it's obviously not...

Evoforce said:
Maybe dirty or damaged contacts on the charge plug outlet on your car?

+1 The pilot/control terminals in the charging port are small so it is likely that they are not making good connections. Your 120-volt EVSE has probably not been used enough to wear its terminals so it makes solid contact.

GerryAZ said:
Evoforce said:
Maybe dirty or damaged contacts on the charge plug outlet on your car?

+1 The pilot/control terminals in the charging port are small so it is likely that they are not making good connections. Your 120-volt EVSE has probably not been used enough to wear its terminals so it makes solid contact.

So go to the dealer and ask them to replace the charging port on the front of the car? Is there a part number I should refer to? Is this something a local mechanic could do (or I could do myself) for less?

By the way, I did spray electronic contact cleaner in the charging port of the car (while it was off), and it didn't help or hurt the problem.

I just bought a used 2011 Nissan Leaf about 2 months ago. It charges every single time on the provided Level 1 EVSE (110V) that I have at my house. I just plug it in and it charges. I do have a timer set, but it's from something like 5:05AM until 5:00 AM to 80%. I only set the timer so that it stops at 80% and doesn't fully charge. If I want to fully charge, I can hit the immediate charge button before plugging in and then it'll go to 100%.

However, when I plug in at level 2 chargers around town from Chargepoint, I get an intermittent experience. Sometimes it charges right away, sometimes not. If it doesn't work, it usually says "Waiting for Vehicle" and never starts charging. I've noticed that lifting up the handle sometimes resolves the problem and gets it to start charging.

While it says "Waiting for vehicle" on the chargepoint station, the car never responds. When I plug the handle into the charge port, the car makes no beeps, none of the charging lights illuminate--nothing. It's like I never plugged the handle in at all. However, when it works, the car does do a series of lights and chirps and charges at the full 3.3KW rate (I don't have a 6.6 KW charger).

I attached my LeafSpy and I see 2 codes that might be related:
B29A0 296C CHARGER N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95
P3173 00C6 EV/HEV On Board Charger Sys EVC-236

I also have two other codes present:
U1266 0208 MULTI AV TCU Conn AV-92 (I think this means the 2G telematics unit I have doesn't have connectivity?)
B1018 0008 AIR BAG Occupant Sens [Unit Fail] SRC-41

I believe the occupancy sensor is a failing unit, as every time my son (he's 250+ pounds) sits in the passenger seat, it triggers, but I wanted to note that in case it was related somehow.

Anyone know why I might be having trouble charging? I've taken it into the dealership and they said I have the latest firmware on all the modules and everything is great--which it's obviously not...
I have that problem with my home charger after 5 years of use. I gently lift the charger handle...and hear a click and it starts charging correctly. There is something worn on those charger handles where they don't quite connect correctly... that gentle making sure its seated all the way and then lifting up so that it clicks into place should solve your problem.

WHY do you use the timer? If you are using the 120v charger, its a slow charger...there is no benifit to using the charger.
I hear people worried about "80%".. the computer in the car measures the heat on the battery and has the charger go to trickle charge. There is no benifit to charging 80% or on a timer..unless you are paying a lot less for 8pm to 6am rate.

Yes I am an engineer, and I used to work for the Utility in the department that did special rates (for deregulation, which is the same as night/weekend rates)

Back