WetEV
Posts: 2066
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:50 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Given a situation in which the 12 volt battery has been left alone for a long time (no external charging or large drains with the car off) then the rest voltage has proven a pretty good indicator of usefulness - IF you assume that anything below 12.4 volts is problematic.


Not true. I recently replaced a battery on an ICE that measured 12.6V no load and provided less than 10 CCA (cold cranking Amps) on the tester. The car's computer would fail to boot.
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

silvermask123
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2013

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:17 am

Lots of useful information. Thanks everyone.

So far, I tried battery tender. Got the battery to 13.5+V on rest. After 15 minute disconnect/reconnect, I tried restarting the car with no luck. After failed attempt to start the car, the battery drops to around 12.5V.

Will try the headlamp test to see what happens.

And also thinking about getting LeafSpy.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 8775
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am

WetEV wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:Given a situation in which the 12 volt battery has been left alone for a long time (no external charging or large drains with the car off) then the rest voltage has proven a pretty good indicator of usefulness - IF you assume that anything below 12.4 volts is problematic.


Not true. I recently replaced a battery on an ICE that measured 12.6V no load and provided less than 10 CCA (cold cranking Amps) on the tester. The car's computer would fail to boot.


I'm talking about Leaf batteries. They are the same starting batteries used in ICEs but have a different use profile. You show me a 12 volt battery that reads 12.6 volts and won't reliably start a Leaf and I'll change my tune.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 8775
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

silvermask123 wrote:Lots of useful information. Thanks everyone.

So far, I tried battery tender. Got the battery to 13.5+V on rest. After 15 minute disconnect/reconnect, I tried restarting the car with no luck. After failed attempt to start the car, the battery drops to around 12.5V.

Will try the headlamp test to see what happens.

And also thinking about getting LeafSpy.


It sounds to me like you have a different problem. Are the battery terminals and cables clean and tightly connected? What exactly happens when you try to start the car? What codes are showing now?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4902
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 pm

You might want to check fuses. Sometimes it's the little things...
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

alozzy
Posts: 971
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

You can easily extract the 12V battery, take it to a store and have it tested, and then put in a new 12V battery if needed. If the battery is NG, it needs to be replaced anyways and you never know, it might just fix the real problem.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

Levenkay
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 pm
Delivery Date: 16 May 2013
Leaf Number: 302737
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:02 pm

alozzy wrote:You can easily extract the 12V battery, take it to a store and have it tested, and then put in a new 12V battery if needed. If the battery is NG, it needs to be replaced anyways and you never know, it might just fix the real problem.
One might have hoped for some of the car's diagnostics to cover the 12V battery, but as it's so extremely unlikely to be involved in any actual functioning of the car, I completely understand Nissan's decision to (apparently) exclude it from diagnostics coverage.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4771
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Levenkay wrote:
alozzy wrote:You can easily extract the 12V battery, take it to a store and have it tested, and then put in a new 12V battery if needed. If the battery is NG, it needs to be replaced anyways and you never know, it might just fix the real problem.
One might have hoped for some of the car's diagnostics to cover the 12V battery, but as it's so extremely unlikely to be involved in any actual functioning of the car, I completely understand Nissan's decision to (apparently) exclude it from diagnostics coverage.

A poor choice by Nissan, as we have seen a number of instances where a weak battery resulted in abnormal behaviors, including the braking system. Happened to me as well.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Nissan Leaf 2013 does not start even though 12v battery in good condition

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Disconnecting the 12-volt battery by itself may not be enough to clear/reset trouble codes. My experience is that disconnecting the 12-volt battery may or may not clear error codes and allow the car to function. With errors caused by CAN Bus communication problems, it is often necessary to disconnect the 12-volt battery for 30 seconds to a minute and then use LEAF Spy Pro to clear DTCs after reconnecting the battery (and turning car on to activate OBDII port).
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”